Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 01-08-2014, 04:52 AM   #1
Mixx
Zealot
Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3
How to insert article URL?

Hi,

is there a simple and generic way to insert into every downloaded article its URL, say at the end?

Background: I frequently read my download on a PC at my desk and find that often I'd like to jump to that article in the browser (e.g. to save it to Evernote). Of course I can select a line with the mouse and use the built-in "search in Google" facility. But it would be much cleaner and quicker if I had the URL link inserted in a clean way.

Any help appreciated.

Thanxx, Mixx
Mixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:02 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Download in epub format and set your output profile ot something other than kindle and the article links will be present.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2014, 02:46 AM   #3
Mixx
Zealot
Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks, Kovid!

I was afraid of that, since I am a Kindle user and my whole setup (headless server running on an old laptop to pull the news, mailing the feeds to my kindle, keeping the *.mobi files in Dropbox) is geared for that.

Well, I guess if there is no other way, I'll have to investigate the EPUB avenue for reference on the PC, but still using MOBI files for mailing to the Kindle.

Thanxx, Mixx
Old 01-09-2014, 09:58 AM   #4
gianfri
Connoisseur
gianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony
I had the same question. I set my output profile to iPad and it worked surprisingly well with the Kindle. Calibre with automatically convert from EPUB to Kindle format before transferring the file.
gianfri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:26 PM   #5
Mixx
Zealot

Thanks a million, gianfri!

I set output profile to iPad, too, did not change anything else, thus I am still getting a MOBI file that can be mailed to the Kindle directly.

For the life of me, I can not see any problems with that file. Everything seems to work just fine on the Kindle(3). I can jump between artikels, can turn the pages as usual, the contents page is in place, etc.

But:
  1. I do get the link to the original website at the end of every article
  2. I do get a date stamp in the filename, too, which lets me see all downloads of the same newspaper at the same time and lets me read them in any sequence I like (not just the latest first etc.)
These are substantial benefits for me. Great!

Now, all this surely does not come for free. What will I miss compared to using the proper output profile (Kindle).

Thanxx, Mixx

Last edited by Mixx; 01-09-2014 at 02:20 PM.
Advert