Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-31-2013, 01:18 AM   #46
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
I'm an exceptionally fast reader I always have been even as a child but I really can't explain what I do other people don't it's just a natural thing for me, it's pretty common for me to read a full novel in one sitting which is why I tend to seek out books that have a large series I can spend some time on.

The downside is I'm always thinking about my next read and at this point I've already read most of the things that interest me so I tend to use the reading recommendations forum here a lot looking for future material in a way I actually envy people that can stretch a good book over weeks.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:33 AM   #47
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I stated that it takes me around 9 hours to read a +/- 350 page book, but I seem to be one of the slowest people in this thread with a large margin.
When reading a standard size pbook I tend to average around 30 pages an hour, which is kind on par with you. BUT, when I read every word and really enjoy the novel I am reading. I am never in a rush to read a novel as quickly as possible.

Come to study though (back when at uni and now CPA) I tend to read the first sentence of a paragraph for the chapter/section, then go back and re-read but in its entirety. That way I find I can skim over the material quicker and my comprehension is better for dry material.

My wife will read dialogue word for word but skims over other paragraphs as she feels it is more filler and for her she finds it doesn't enhance or detract from her interpretation of the story. Using her process I guess I could have got through the entire Wheel of Time series in an hour or two
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2013, 06:46 AM   #48
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
I'm an exceptionally fast reader I always have been even as a child but I really can't explain what I do other people don't it's just a natural thing for me....
It may not be so much what you do, but what you don't do. You may not subvocalize the way many people do. Although they helped initialized a lifelong love of reading for me, comics may have inadvertently put a permanent damper on my reading speed. I remember around the age of 10 learning to think in words from seeing other people's thoughts pictured as words in thought balloons in comics. Of course, memory is a construct and a very flawed one at that, so I'm not saying what I'm describing is the undeniable reality, but simply saying that's how I remember it. Learning to vocalize thoughts may have led to subvocalization during reading.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:32 AM   #49
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
It may not be so much what you do, but what you don't do. You may not subvocalize the way many people do.
From (which agree with what I have read about the subject):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subvocalization

Quote:
Advocates of speed reading generally claim that subvocalization places extra burden on the cognitive resources, thus, slowing the reading down.[3] Speedreading courses often prescribe lengthy practices to eliminate subvocalizing when reading. Normal reading instructors often simply apply remedial teaching to a reader who subvocalizes to the degree that they make visible movements on the lips, jaw, or throat.[4]

No evidence exists that normal non-observable subvocalizing will negatively affect any reading process.[1] At the more powerful rates (memorizing, learning, and reading for comprehension), subvocalizing by the reader is very detectable. At the less powerful, faster rates of reading, (skimming, and scanning) subvocalization is less detectable. For competent readers, subvocalizing to some extent even at scanning rates is normal.[4]
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:58 PM   #50
donpapachino
donpapachino began at the beginning.

Device: none
there is a method which i forgot what it's called. it's something like scanning the book page in a Z pattern.
donpapachino is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2013, 09:31 AM   #51
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
That would mean a full work week to read one book. It would be quite tough to put 4 work weeks of reading into a month, next to a normal job. (I know; I've recently put in 2-3 work weeks of studying while having a normal job, and it's not funny.)
Maybe I was a bit optimistic. But if you really concentrate on reading and do not watch TV or do other things I thought that 4h per day during the week and 15h during the weekend was possible. When I was in more intensive reading periods I used to do that.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:56 PM   #52
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I used to be a very fast reader, roughly like your wife. However, I suffered a brain and vision injury. I applied some old techniques that I knew from high school (I attended a speed reading course) and some new ones (which address the short term memory issue). One thing that had been mentioned in the course is that a lot of slow readers 'read out loud' in their head. This really slows them down. However, you could also have some kind of learning disability that I know nothing about.

Here is my suggestion. Get an audiobook and etext of the same book. Follow along. Use an audiobook app, if possible. Most audiobook apps have the option to have the reader read faster. I would increase the speed and continue to follow along. You are going too fast if you are not enjoying the reading or losing the thread of the story.

Why would this help? You use a different part of the brain when you read vs. when you listen. Sometimes, by both listening and reading, you can 'fix' the reading part, at least to a point. This is how I progressed. This may not eliminate the problem at all, though, if the plot or the writing is quite complex. I have actually found fantasy novels harder to read than science fiction. Not sure why.

Hope this helps. I know it can be frustrating. I lost 10 years of reading because of my issues, so even if all you can read is one book a month, that's more than a lot of people read.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:51 PM   #53
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
I'm a pretty fast reader, I can't put a number on it, as I've never bothered to measure it.
It does vary though. If I'm reading a quite "light" book plotwise and complexity wise, I could read say a 250 page paperback in a couple of hours, maybe less.
For something intense/In depth, it might take an evening to read.

Still, it varies on my mood as well or sometimes I deliberately re-read parts, right after I have read them or go back to re-read a part if there's a significant reason to do so, such as a revelation in a story that makes something that happened earlier more meaningful.

I don't subvocalise at all and don't hear the words in my head either.
The best way I can describe it is I kind of immerse myself into the book very far.
I see the events happening in my head as if it's a real life conversation and the events are actually happening.
but it's all very abstract and hard to explain.

Sometimes if a part of a book is pretty boring, I skim read very fast.
I'll take in all the information, but I don't get that immersive feeling and it's not really enjoyable.
However I do it just to get past a boring part.

Last edited by danskmacabre; 11-03-2013 at 06:54 PM.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:09 PM   #54
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Interesting. I don't think many of us read at 1500 WPM but what do I know. My mind is still boggling from the idea of reading 1000 pages in 8 hours while subvocalizing and appreciating the nuances.

Helen
Helen:

Nope, you're right, s/he said "1,000 pages." That is uber-fast. I'm an extremely fast reader, by anyone's standards, and I couldn't do that. If that's printed pages of the average fiction novel, that would be 325,000 words in eight hours, or 40,625 words/hour or 677 wpm. However, I don't think I've ever finished a thousand-page novel in 8 hours, but according to alleged tests, I read about that fast. So--who knows?

I previously and wrongly said:

Quote:
S/he said, "1,000 lines," not 1,000 pages. A "line" could mean anything. I mean, a Kindle "line?" (60 chars on average, including spaces), a printed 6"x9" line? I'm sure this gets discussed somewhere later on this thread, but as I've just dropped in, I thought I'd mention that as I just read it, it's lines--not pages. Not remotely the same thing.
Hitch

Last edited by Hitch; 11-03-2013 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Ooops. You're right, I'm wrong.
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:17 PM   #55
iirisa
iirisa did not drink the Kool Aid.iirisa did not drink the Kool Aid.iirisa did not drink the Kool Aid.iirisa did not drink the Kool Aid.iirisa did not drink the Kool Aid.iirisa did not drink the Kool Aid.iirisa did not drink the Kool Aid.iirisa did not drink the Kool Aid.iirisa did not drink the Kool Aid.iirisa did not drink the Kool Aid.iirisa did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Galaxy Tab 4 10.1, Kindle Keyboard
I have noticed I read much slower in languages, other than my mother tongue (which is not English). Normally I read fast. But often I have to forcefully slow down because ability to read and understand a text seems to have two different speeds.
iirisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:27 AM   #56
thymaster
Zealot
thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
I was exactly like you a few years ago. Slow and read out loud. What changed about me is that I tried to change my habit from reading out load to inside your head.

I have three advice that might help you read faster and that is time, place and trance.

Time - Dedicate a few hours in a day to reading everyday. I recommend for starters 2 hours or more. You can take a break between the hours but not too long.

**** Clear your mind before reading. You're reading out loud because you're mind is thinking of something else or is distracted. If you can't summarize the last 10 pages you just read, then that means something is bothering you. Try mediating for 10 minutes or 10 slow deep breaths before starting. ****

Place - Find a quite place to read. Not to comfy like your bed or laying on the sofa. Not to distracting. No TVs, radio or any kind of distractive noises.

Trance/Focus - When you start a book you can't stay focus on the first 20 pages because most likely you're bored and your brain might either already dosed off or thinking of something else so your lips are moving instead. Stop at every 10 pages and summarize what you just read really quick and continue on. Keep doing this until you're lost in the book.

When you feel the story gets interesting just keep on reading until you are tired and can't read anymore. Just before you call it quits, quickly summarize everything you just read in those hours as much as you can. You can also ask yourself questions about the stuff you just read. keep doing this for 2-3 weeks and I'm sure you'll finish a novel in less then 15 hours which my standard is good.

Thanks to my electronic eReader it tells me I average out 7 to 8 hours per 400 pages. Of course I don't read 7 hours straight so I break it into 4 days and that's how long it takes me to finish a book now. Sometimes I can do 3 books in a week.

Last edited by thymaster; 11-05-2013 at 04:38 AM.
thymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:47 AM   #57
arturg
Zealot
arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 5 (10th gen)
Well, since last post I have completed two books of about 470 pages each. I read during my way to work then back home. So now I don't complain about the speed anymore, it gets faster the more I read and the more I enjoy the story
arturg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:25 PM   #58
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by arturg View Post
Well, since last post I have completed two books of about 470 pages each. I read during my way to work then back home. So now I don't complain about the speed anymore, it gets faster the more I read and the more I enjoy the story
That's great!
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:40 AM   #59
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
This has been an interesting read. I read at about 100 pages an hour; I also read with music and or tv on. I can these days get distracted and find I have read half a dozen pages, and took nothing in. This is only just started to happen with my illness. I also can not listen to audio books full stop. They drive me nuts how slow they read. Now my husband reads really slow, and he can read out loud. I have smacked him in the head with my book a few times to make him stop when he does it in bed hehehe He loves audio books.
As I said this was interesting, and explained a lot.

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:40 AM   #60
Ranny
Connoisseur
Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Interesting about audio books, I can't just sit and listen, have to be doing something with my hands at same time. I also run at 2x speed and would like a 2.5x. The 3x becomes a tad squeaky.
Normal reading I find speed is dependent on how much I'm enjoying the book, the less I'm enjoying it, the faster I tend to read.
Ranny is offline   Reply With Quote