Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-11-2015, 05:10 AM   #106
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
I have a DX. Second Kindle I bought. Still use it on occasion. Good for PDFs. You're stuck with old (mobi7) format. Much slower than modern Kindles. E-ink is old technology. I personally like it for it's screen size, but my Voyage is lighter, has a backlight and supports azw3.

I personally wouldn't buy another for $200. Maybe $100-$150.

I think you mean that your Kindle Voyage has a 'front light' [front lit.]
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:36 AM   #107
Percivale
Connoisseur
Percivale began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
You're stuck with old (mobi7) format.
Are you sure DX can't read new mobis?

http://e-readers.specout.com/q/3/399...dle-DX-support
Percivale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2015, 09:44 AM   #108
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percivale View Post

Yes, absolutely certain. (Unless you replace the firmware on it.) The DX runs the Kindle 2 firmware, and the earliest Kindle firmware that can read KF8 is the v3 firmware.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 10:05 AM   #109
Percivale
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, absolutely certain. (Unless you replace the firmware on it.) The DX runs the Kindle 2 firmware, and the earliest Kindle firmware that can read KF8 is the v3 firmware.
So I can't read new ebooks in mobi on DX unless I update the firmware with some jailbreak?
Old 11-11-2015, 10:07 AM   #110
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So I can't read new ebooks in mobi on DX unless I update the firmware with some jailbreak?
You can read Mobi books, but you can't read KF8 books.

I understand that it is possible to install the v3 firmware on a DX. Ask in the dev forum for details (if you have a Kindle Keyboard to legally obtain the firmware from, that is).
Advert
Old 11-11-2015, 12:04 PM   #111
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I think you mean that your Kindle Voyage has a 'front light' [front lit.]
Doh! Yes, that's what I mean
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 12:06 PM   #112
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If you download from the cloud with 3g, amazon will deliver the correct format. If not, you will have to use calibre to convert it.
Old 11-11-2015, 04:57 PM   #113
Percivale
Connoisseur

What about mobi footnotes in DX?

Is it easy to access them?
Old 11-11-2015, 05:07 PM   #114
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Sure.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:22 PM   #115
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

The DX can read the newest Mobi format. What it cannot read is KF8 format.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 07:19 PM   #116
jgaiser
Omnivorous

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The DX can read the newest Mobi format. What it cannot read is KF8 format.
Which newest mobi format is that? .azw? Because you know Jon, that is a pretty old format. As far as I know, the firmware only supports the original mobi7 format.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:58 PM   #117
Percivale
Connoisseur

My last inquiry is about dictionaries.

Are there any dicionaries in DX?
Can you easily look a word up in one of them?

P.S. Since I read that DX is quite sluggish - does it mean that checking on any footnote can become at times a real ordeal?
Old 11-11-2015, 10:17 PM   #118
jgaiser
Omnivorous

Quote:
My last inquiry is about dictionaries.

Are there any dicionaries in DX?
Can you easily look a word up in one of them?

P.S. Since I read that DX is quite sluggish - does it mean that checking on any footnote can become at times a real ordeal?
Dictionaries -- Yes

DX has a slower processor than the more recent kindles, so page turns and footnotes are slower. Ordeal? No. Just be aware that it isn't going to be as responsive as modern readers.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:54 PM   #119
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Does Amazon even have DX ereaders at this time?
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 09:27 PM   #120
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Does Amazon even have DX ereaders at this time?
Not directly from Amazon, but there are plenty of used ones from third party sellers.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle dx 2