Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-13-2015, 07:08 AM   #1
Kenneth_irl
Addict
Kenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kindle 3 + Paperwhite 7th gen
A dead pixel in the screen or part of the paper look? (Paperwhite 7th gen)

Hallo,

I'm currently sitting here with two Paperwhite 7th Kindles. One of them is the original that I brought, the other one is a replacement that I was sent after complaining about the first one. To begin, the first thing I immediately noticed when turning on my first 7th gen Kindle was the new textured look of the screen which I did like, but I also soon afterwards noticed a spot where some of the 'pigments' were collected in a single spot that stood out. This spot could either be described as a dead black pixel or a dust grain - or as if some of the ink is stuck there. It's small, but I have good eyes, so it's an eye catching to me.

Anyhow, so I complained about it and was sent a replacement. However, to my further dismay the replacement also has very a similar black grain spot on the screen that also stands out. It's just located at another part of the screen. So I'm not super happy right now.

But I'd just like to know if it's pointless to ask for a 2nd replacement if this phenomenon is super common. Maybe you guys can tell me.

Another thing, my first 7th gen Kindle has more of a yellow hue to it when its lights is fully turned on, but the replacement has a much whiter hue. It's super easy to tell them apart. It's just very surprising to me that there can be so big a difference in the production cycle which makes you wonder about how uniform the quality control really is.

Thank you

Last edited by Kenneth_irl; 11-13-2015 at 07:10 AM.
Kenneth_irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 07:09 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Tiny black "speckles" on an eInk screen are entirely normal, but there shouldn't be anything that's visible from a normal reading distance.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2015, 07:18 AM   #3
Kenneth_irl
Addict
Kenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Well, if I'm looking closer to the screen than I'm normally reading at then I can see the texturing of the screen clearly, but it's uniform and nothing really stands out (except the single spot on both devices) The spots I'm talking about, I can still see them if I'm holding the Kindles at an arms length away from me.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:20 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That sounds like a fault to me.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:55 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I suggest posting photos here (as attachments).
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2015, 08:55 AM   #6
Kenneth_irl
Addict

I will try later today to take a clear picture of it, but I'm not sure it's possible to take a justifiable good picture of this with my mobile phone camera. I think it will have a hard time focusing on something like this and so close to it. It might be something you 'll have to see with your own eyes. But as said, I'll still try to take a good picture of it later.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:28 AM   #7
Kenneth_irl
Addict

[Converted to attachments]

I haven't highlighted it, but I trust you guys can still find it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	titftjm.png
Views:	929
Size:	797.7 KB
ID:	143693   Click image for larger version

Name:	xBzeYgv.png
Views:	793
Size:	580.5 KB
ID:	143694  

Last edited by pdurrant; 11-13-2015 at 09:41 AM.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:44 AM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
That looks like a fault to me, if a small one. If it was near an edge or a corner I'd suggest it wasn't worth bothering with.

But it looks like it's right in the middle of the screen, so I think you're fully justified in getting back to Customer Service for another replacement. My Kindle PW3 doesn't have anything like that.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 09:46 AM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice

Kenneth-irl:
Please take a few moments to read our Posting Guidelines, in particular the part about the maximum image size allowed (600x600 pixels). Images that violate those guidelines will be deleted.

It is every member's responsibility to read our Posting Guidelines and follow them.

Thanks.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 09:47 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

That's plainly what's called a "burst capsule" on the eInk display. It's a fault.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:57 AM   #11
Kenneth_irl
Addict

@Dr. Drib

Sorry my bad. Thanks for correcting my mistake.

@pdurrant @HarryT

Okay thanks for the feedback !