Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-26-2013, 10:06 PM   #46
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
I've had my current nexus 7 nearly a year and never had an issue with it. It is by far my favorite tablet. Very tempted to upgrade to the higher pixel count.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:12 PM   #47
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by pl001 View Post
I like the guy who claims the "old one" slows down and falls apart after a few months, then backs it up with a forum link about a guy having issues with his Nexus S phone running GB 2.3 with 400 apps on it in 2011.
While not wanting to stick up for an apple fanboy in the slightest, isn't that actually a fairly common issue with a lot of 1st gen nexus 7 devices, at least the slowing down part anyway.

Last edited by Crowl; 07-26-2013 at 10:14 PM.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2013, 10:21 PM   #48
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
I don't think it's a rumour at all as both Asus and google have made attempts to limit the problem which is made worse by the low storage limits google insists upon 32 gb is pathetic in this day and age we should be seeing at least 128gb as standard already.
We are not going to see such a drastic increase in tablet storage anytime soon, other than ipads, most of the successful devices are low to zero margin products and as such they are going with storage options that provide sufficient space without it having a drastic impact on the base price.

The reality is that most people have got out of the habit of expecting to carry their entire media library with them wherever they go, so devices need enough space to cover the times when they are not able to stream any content.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:12 PM   #49
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
I would be jumping to get the new Nexus 7 if it didn't contain a major disadvantage - no micro SD card.

Once you start loading your content - eBooks, photos,movies and music, 32 GB is not a lot storage.

I find myself going towards the Asus Memo Pad HD as an inexpensive Android tablet.
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:55 AM   #50
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZetlin View Post
I would be jumping to get the new Nexus 7 if it didn't contain a major disadvantage - no micro SD card.
That really bothers me too!!! The cost of a microSD slot is a few trivial cents, and the space requirement is pretty much a non-issue if the design starts with the microSD slot as part of the requirement. I have always thought that the Nook microSD implementation was an example of a well thought out design.

Even at that, I am probably going to order the new N7 when it becomes available in Europe just because of the SnapDragon, 2GB RAM, camera, and display.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2013, 02:56 AM   #51
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Just read the filesystem trim problem has supposedly been fixed in 4.3 by adding fstrim for the old Nexus 7 which is good news if I ever get that update supposedly came out earlier in the week.

Should make the new one a safer buy as well.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:01 AM   #52
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
Just read the filesystem trim problem has supposedly been fixed in 4.3 by adding fstrim for the old Nexus 7 which is good news if I ever get that update supposedly came out earlier in the week.
If you want 4.3 immediately, you can get it here. I just updated yesterday.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:30 AM   #53
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
If you want 4.3 immediately, you can get it here. I just updated yesterday.
Yeah I'll do that if I don't get the OTA this week sometime not in any great rush for it as long as I get it eventually.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:49 AM   #54
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
The absence of a card slot's going to be de rigeur for as long as Google pursues the cloud strategy (perhaps because it forces you to be active offsite, which I'd guess could help advertisers and, in turn, Google as subtler ways to intrude become more accepted).

This Apple-like strategy with a non-Apple purpose bothers me as much as Apple's, and wifi drives aren't always convenient either, but the comments on this thread about trim bother me a lot more. Does the software fix work for nearly everyone or not?

Apple has made it similarly difficult to trim SSDs if you install one in a Macbook Pro yourself (presuming you have a model that allows you to open it), so I'm familiar with that lag and would do whatever I could to avoid it. I'd like to know from early adopters on XDA whether or not trim has been enabled on the new N7.

Besides which, both my grillfiend and her twin have had their Asus laptops die in the past month. One of the laptops was less than a year old, so it would appear that experience is trying to teach me something.

I'd also like to read a user's comparison of the screen against, say, that of the Nexus 10.

Beyond that, the new N7 looks delicious and inexpensive (unlike the people I see in airports).

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 07-28-2013 at 07:48 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:35 PM   #55
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
If I could store stuff on a card, I'd buy more from Google. I have slow internet. I don't want to have to download stuff multiple times.

I like my clouds in the sky. Dropping rain.

I haven't noticed problems with slowdown. From what little I read, a previous update was supposed to fix the trim problem. Unfortunately, the previous update didn't trim portions of memory that had problems, but were currently empty. One of the apps, supposedly, solved this problem (without requiring root) by writing and deleting to all empty memory which caused the system to trim that space.

An Amazon review said the new screen was noticeably better, but not blow-yer-socks-off-and-beat-ya-with-a-happy-stick better.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:22 AM   #56
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
Got my new Nexus 7 and the screen is a definite improvement, but we are seriously at a point of diminishing returns. This isn't the jump from the original iPad to retina screens. I feel it was worth the upgrade especially since I only paid $100 after trading in an old 1st gen iPad that barely charged anymore, but my son happily took my old Nexus and is reading on it with no complaints. I am enjoying the speed of this new device though and comics are the biggest improvement over the old Nexus as the new screen gives you all the detail you could ask for.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:59 PM   #57
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by aagstn View Post
I've had my current nexus 7 nearly a year and never had an issue with it. It is by far my favorite tablet. Very tempted to upgrade to the higher pixel count.
Hubby says he's had no issues with his.

My eyes *need* a high resolution screen for comfort, so I ordered one. From the Play Store. Hope that works out well, because we don't have any stores much other than Walmart around here, and so far, Walmart has no stock of the new model.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:17 PM   #58
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
I have mine! The screen is great, just what I wanted in a tablet! No diminishing returns here! Finally nice crisp clear text and no pixels visible.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:31 AM   #59
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZetlin View Post

Once you start loading your content - eBooks, photos,movies and music, 32 GB is not a lot storage.
Same here. It has so many nice specs but this missing feature makes it a no-sale for me too...
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote