Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 05-25-2013, 09:45 AM   #1
NoEarthlyReason
NoEarthlyReason began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Embedding fonts in ePub/Kindle

Hello

I'm converting a self-published poetry book written by a friend to ePub/Kindle. Although not particularly au fait with the various technologies involved, i.e. HTML, CSS, and the ebook formats themselves, I am fairly confident I can do it with the help of the information already available on this and other sites.

I just have a technical question or two, to which I suspect the answer is no, but it's worth checking:

If I link to a font using the @font-face property in my HTML, will this non-standard font make it into the ePub document I am going to create using Calibre?

If not, is there different software I can use which will embed the entire font?

Again if not, can the various eReaders follow the link to the font if it survives the conversion, and thus display the font when the book is being read (assuming an Internet connection)?

I'm grateful for any help offered.

Thanks,
Richard
NoEarthlyReason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:25 AM   #2
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoEarthlyReason View Post
Hello

I'm converting a self-published poetry book written by a friend to ePub/Kindle. Although not particularly au fait with the various technologies involved, i.e. HTML, CSS, and the ebook formats themselves, I am fairly confident I can do it with the help of the information already available on this and other sites.

I just have a technical question or two, to which I suspect the answer is no, but it's worth checking:

If I link to a font using the @font-face property in my HTML, will this non-standard font make it into the ePub document I am going to create using Calibre?

If not, is there different software I can use which will embed the entire font?

Again if not, can the various eReaders follow the link to the font if it survives the conversion, and thus display the font when the book is being read (assuming an Internet connection)?

I'm grateful for any help offered.

Thanks,
Richard
Hi Richard;

If you already have a html file (and its css stylesheet), then use Sigil (and not Calibre) to build your epub. Once you have your epub, then use Kindlegen to build (with the epub) your mobi file.

Here you'll find all you need to know in order to build your epub with Sigil:

http://web.sigil.googlecode.com/git/...tutorials.html

And obviously, how to use embedding (custom) fonts:

http://web.sigil.googlecode.com/git/...bed_fonts.html

Regards
Rubén

Last edited by RbnJrg; 05-25-2013 at 12:01 PM.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2013, 10:25 AM   #3
NoEarthlyReason
NoEarthlyReason began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Thanks Rubén, this is super information and a great help.
NoEarthlyReason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:01 PM   #4
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoEarthlyReason View Post
Thanks Rubén, this is super information and a great help.
You're welcome!
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
css, embedding, epub, fonts, poetry