Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-20-2013, 02:41 AM   #1
kittykrystal
kittykrystal doesn't litterkittykrystal doesn't litter

Device: Generic Ebook Reader
Unhappy My ebook reader will not charge or turn on.

I have been reading your thread trying to find a way to get my generic ebook reader to take a charge and/or turn on. I have tried all of the suggestions I found on this site except one. When I opened the case I found that the connection wires were soldered on. I don't want to damage it by not having the right tools, even though I have a soldering iron and solder. Is there anything else I can do? I have left it on a wall charger for hours. Then tried the reset, still nothing and I am about to tear my hair out.

This is what I have: 7 Inch Ebook Reader with 800*600 Resolution (EB702)
[Jan 11, 2011]

7 inch ebook reader 1. Screen size: 16: 9, resolution: 800*600 2. Picture formats: JPG, JPEG, BMP 3. Audio formats: MP3, WMA, OGG, FLAC, WAV, AAC, APE 4. Video formats: MKV, AVI, RMVB, MP4, 3GP 5. ...

Made by: Shenzhen Sundah Technology Co., Ltd. in Guangdong, China

I have tried emailing the company but no answer so far. I would hate to have to throw this thing away. HELP.
kittykrystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:29 AM   #2
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Hi kitty, welcome to MobileRead!

It could be a flat or faulty battery. Try charging it for 24 hours or try another battery. They should be inexpensive.
Do you still have any warranty? Can you send it back to the seller as a non-functioning device?

Last edited by Billi; 05-20-2013 at 06:38 AM.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2013, 11:39 AM   #3
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
Does the unit have an indicator light? Does it come on/go out as it should according to the book?

Does the book speak of a factory reset or restore option?
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:59 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
There should be some sort of indication of power reaching the device.

Try another Cable/charger.
If you are trying to use a computer port, it may shutdown because of overload (500ma max) because the battery was really flat.
Use a charger without that limit.

This assumes, there is no damage (includes wobble) to the connector on the device
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:37 PM   #5
ClareK
Connoisseur
ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Laser
Is your ereader backlit, and, if so, does the screen light up when the reader is plugged into the computer?

My Chinese ereader had a similar problem, although this was after I had had it for some time. The battery had gone completely flat, and although I left it plugged into the USB port all day, it still wouldn't turn on. Fortunately I have a wall charger, so I tried plugging it into that. While it is attached to the wall charger it is still possible to use the reader and to change settings, so I was able to adjust the light setting from "always on" to 30 seconds - after that, the light went off, and the ereader charged perfectly.

Since then I have been careful never to let the battery go flat, and I always try to remember to change the light setting before I charge the reader.
ClareK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2013, 06:43 PM   #6
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I may be wrong of course but I don't think his/her e-reader is an e-reader at all. I think it's a multimedia tablet. Notice how the poster is thorough in describing the formats his/her device can render.
For one thing no e-book format is specified (epub, mobi, pdf ...) and for another the device can read video formats (mkv, avi, mp4 ...) which to my knowledge are not implemented in e-readers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClareK View Post
Is your ereader backlit, and, if so, does the screen light up when the reader is plugged into the computer?
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:03 PM   #7
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
A quick Google shows that this company is marketing an item with this model number as an e-book, although it does sound a bit more like a tablet.

If it doesn't give any indication that it's getting power even when it's plugged in you're going to have a hard time tracking the problem down.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:50 PM   #8
DebbyS
Zealot
DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite; Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0)
I have an SVP EB701, which I bought as my first e-reader about three years ago. I researched it a great deal before deciding to get it. It can read epub and PDF and probably others, and some other types of media, though I only mostly tried some PDFs on it (comics, magazine articles). It's rather... clunky. A bit slow to respond to the buttons, but with patience it does eventually. For the time I got it, it was quite interesting and inexpensive, but then I discovered the JetBook Lite and now do all my e-reading on that gem. I also got a Galaxy Tab 2 7" for other media and PDFs, though it's a little small of screen for comics.

Kitty's querry about the 702 made me think of my 701, so i dug it out and turned it on. It took a little persistance as it didn't respond immediately, but it did respond after 2 tries (really press the button for +10 seconds) and it told me it still had more than half the battery ready to use (it had just been sleeping deeply, I guess). This is actually impressive to me as it has been over a year since I last turned it on! I'm recharging it now because, who knows, I might want to read something on it

Oh, just found the box: SVP 7" Color TFT eBook Reader, EB701, made in China, supports Adobe DRM (Epub & pDF), built in 2GB flash memory, high definition video play, music play, color photo viewer. Further: 800 x 480 pixel resolution screen, anti glare, T-Flash/Micro SC slot (max support to 16GB; I think I have an 8G in it)); also support TXT, HTML, FB2, PDB; jpeg, bmp; mp3, wma; mpeg4, avi, rmvb. Built in Li Polymer (7500 mAH) battery; support Auto power Off. Mini usb2.0 interface.

Kitty's being a "702", it might do a few more things. Here's hoping she can get it up and running again! (or at worst, get ideas for a new reader on this site).
DebbyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:42 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Searching via Google for EB702 finds lots of places selling / advertising them, but little if any support.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:25 AM   #10
kittykrystal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Hi kitty, welcome to MobileRead!

It could be a flat or faulty battery. Try charging it for 24 hours or try another battery. They should be inexpensive.
Do you still have any warranty? Can you send it back to the seller as a non-functioning device?
No, can't return it. Bought it on Ebay from China. Oh well.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:28 AM   #11
kittykrystal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
I may be wrong of course but I don't think his/her e-reader is an e-reader at all. I think it's a multimedia tablet. Notice how the poster is thorough in describing the formats his/her device can render.
For one thing no e-book format is specified (epub, mobi, pdf ...) and for another the device can read video formats (mkv, avi, mp4 ...) which to my knowledge are not implemented in e-readers.
No, it is an ebook ereader but a generic one from china. They keep mfg these and putting different names on them, but it is the same. It does not have tough, but it does have video and music if you want to use it for that. I just used it for reading.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:29 AM   #12
kittykrystal

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Searching via Google for EB702 finds lots of places selling / advertising them, but little if any support.
No support at all. The only thing I have not tried is to disconnect it from the battery. The only problem is that this one is not plugged in, it is soldered in.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:33 AM   #13
kittykrystal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyS View Post
I have an SVP EB701, which I bought as my first e-reader about three years ago. I researched it a great deal before deciding to get it. It can read epub and PDF and probably others, and some other types of media, though I only mostly tried some PDFs on it (comics, magazine articles). It's rather... clunky. A bit slow to respond to the buttons, but with patience it does eventually. For the time I got it, it was quite interesting and inexpensive, but then I discovered the JetBook Lite and now do all my e-reading on that gem. I also got a Galaxy Tab 2 7" for other media and PDFs, though it's a little small of screen for comics.

Kitty's querry about the 702 made me think of my 701, so i dug it out and turned it on. It took a little persistance as it didn't respond immediately, but it did respond after 2 tries (really press the button for +10 seconds) and it told me it still had more than half the battery ready to use (it had just been sleeping deeply, I guess). This is actually impressive to me as it has been over a year since I last turned it on! I'm recharging it now because, who knows, I might want to read something on it

Oh, just found the box: SVP 7" Color TFT eBook Reader, EB701, made in China, supports Adobe DRM (Epub & pDF), built in 2GB flash memory, high definition video play, music play, color photo viewer. Further: 800 x 480 pixel resolution screen, anti glare, T-Flash/Micro SC slot (max support to 16GB; I think I have an 8G in it)); also support TXT, HTML, FB2, PDB; jpeg, bmp; mp3, wma; mpeg4, avi, rmvb. Built in Li Polymer (7500 mAH) battery; support Auto power Off. Mini usb2.0 interface.

Kitty's being a "702", it might do a few more things. Here's hoping she can get it up and running again! (or at worst, get ideas for a new reader on this site).
I think this must be the next on on the line-up. This one has 4 GB of memory and a place for a micro SD card. For the money, I was extremely happy with mine.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:36 AM   #14
kittykrystal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClareK View Post

My Chinese ereader had a similar problem, although this was after I had had it for some time. The battery had gone completely flat, and although I left it plugged into the USB port all day, it still wouldn't turn on. Fortunately I have a wall charger, so I tried plugging it into that. While it is attached to the wall charger it is still possible to use the reader and to change settings, so I was able to adjust the light setting from "always on" to 30 seconds - after that, the light went off, and the ereader charged perfectly.

Since then I have been careful never to let the battery go flat, and I always try to remember to change the light setting before I charge the reader.
Yes it is backlit and when it worked it would light up when plugged into the USB of my computer. I am not sure what I had the light setting set at. This is so irritating. I wrote to the mfg and they have NO support department.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:56 AM   #15
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Have you put a meter on the battery? If it's charged, the problem is farther up the chain. You could put a meter on the other end of the connection wires. Maybe one or both are broken.

If it's not charged, then the problem should be somewhere down from the battery to the charge port. You could try a replacement battery or find a way to charge the battery directly. If direct charge works, the problem is probably not the battery.

Since it's already broken, I wouldn't worry too much about breaking it. Since the easy fixes haven't work, you might as well escalate. I wouldn't put a bunch more effort into this, but your risk is pretty minimal at this point.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging battery, ebook problem, generic reader, hard reset, wake