Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-26-2013, 01:35 AM   #1
watson8715
watson8715 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 3gs
ereader for a newb

I'm completely a newb as far as ereaders go. The only 'ereader' I have experience with is using my iphone 3gs to read epub books. I use the ebookmobi app. I want to get an ereader but I don't even know where to start to decide which will be the best for me. There are so many kinds it feels very overwhelming.
watson8715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:45 AM   #2
watson8715

I forgot to mention, I would like it for a reasonable price, under 100 but hopefully less if I can find it on ebay or something. Being able to organize books in folders or similar would be great, the ebookmobi app has no organization ability other than alphabetically by title, reader, or last read. I would also like it to be backlit so that I can read in bed with my lights off.
Advert
Old 05-26-2013, 02:01 AM   #3
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
ereader for a newb

I don't think there's an ereader with a built-in light that costs less than $100. For instance, the Nook Touch (no built-in light) costs $79 and the Nook Simple Touch with GlowLight costs $119.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:24 AM   #4
Stephjk
Cruiser
Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, samsung galaxy tab note
I'm very happy with my Kobo Glo, it does all that you have mentioned and cost under 100.......pounds!
Stephjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:39 PM   #5
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephjk View Post
I'm very happy with my Kobo Glo, it does all that you have mentioned and cost under 100.......pounds!
Ooooo....I'll have to remember that, if my DH ever wants to know how much my Kobo Glo cost!

I am all in favor for a Kobo Glo for a newb, or a Kindle Paperwhite....both have their pros and cons, both are easy to use.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2013, 12:55 PM   #6
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
All things otherwise being more or less equal, you might want to check out what types of files each device will support and how well they do so.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:22 PM   #7
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Further to what mr_nihilism has just posted -

Are you willing to learn how to remove DRM from ebooks and convert between formats?

If yes then you can take your pick of the market, but you'll struggle to find a new lighted reader for less than $100.

If no, then you need to decide where you are most likely to buy your ebooks from. If you are already a happy Amazon customer, consider the Kindle Paperwhite ($119), but you can't buy ebooks from other stores.

Or if you'd prefer not to shop at Amazon, you should look at the epub ereaders. The main two available are the Kobo Glo ($129), and the Nook Glowlight ($119), the Kobo is probably the better of the two. There are others available but I'm not sure how readily available the Bookeen Odyssey HD for example is in the US, and it's certainly not any cheaper.

Edited to add: You might be able to find the Nook Glowlight for cheaper right now, it's been heavily discounted in some places. If you have a Radioshack local to you, they've been on offer there.

Last edited by soulfuldog; 05-26-2013 at 02:40 PM.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:52 PM   #8
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
Where do you plan to get books? If you're going to get them from Amazon or the library, I'd get the Kindle Paperwhite and spend the extra $15 or so. (You can get library books on other e-readers, but the Kindle ones are sent wirelessly, which is easier.)

You can probably spend a bit less and maybe stay under $100 if you look for a Nook Glow on sale somewhere. They're going cheap if you look around. If you get library books, you'll have to sideload them with the cord, which isn't a big deal but I like the wireless thing better.

If you buy a Kobo Glo from a local independent bookstore, the books you buy will help support that local business. That's another option.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:00 PM   #9
watson8715

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
Further to what mr_nihilism has just posted -

Are you willing to learn how to remove DRM from ebooks and convert between formats?

If yes then you can take your pick of the market, but you'll struggle to find a new lighted reader for less than $100.

If no, then you need to decide where you are most likely to buy your ebooks from. If you are already a happy Amazon customer, consider the Kindle Paperwhite ($119), but you can't buy ebooks from other stores.

Or if you'd prefer not to shop at Amazon, you should look at the epub ereaders. The main two available are the Kobo Glo ($129), and the Nook Glowlight ($119), the Kobo is probably the better of the two. There are others available but I'm not sure how readily available the Bookeen Odyssey HD for example is in the US, and it's certainly not any cheaper.

Edited to add: You might be able to find the Nook Glowlight for cheaper right now, it's been heavily discounted in some places. If you have a Radioshack local to you, they've been on offer there.
Really the only thing I've read on my phone is fanfic ebooks I made. All of the ebooks I have are ePub format. I made them using this site http://ebook.online-convert.com/ (either converting text from a URL or copy/pasting into word and then making that doc into a book) and flagfic.com (converts fanfiction.net stories into different file formats).

I'm sure I would be more likey to read actual books if I get an eReader, but the majority of my reading is fanfic.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:20 PM   #10
watson8715

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyWithNook View Post
Where do you plan to get books? If you're going to get them from Amazon or the library, I'd get the Kindle Paperwhite and spend the extra $15 or so. (You can get library books on other e-readers, but the Kindle ones are sent wirelessly, which is easier.)

You can probably spend a bit less and maybe stay under $100 if you look for a Nook Glow on sale somewhere. They're going cheap if you look around. If you get library books, you'll have to sideload them with the cord, which isn't a big deal but I like the wireless thing better.

If you buy a Kobo Glo from a local independent bookstore, the books you buy will help support that local business. That's another option.
No independent bookstores around here, I live in a very small town in a rural area. I don't believe our library offers ebooks either.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:15 PM   #11
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyWithNook View Post
How do you figure??? Buying the device supports the business, momentarily. The ebooks you buy support the particular ebook store and nobody else.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:32 PM   #12
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
How do you figure??? Buying the device supports the business, momentarily. The ebooks you buy support the particular ebook store and nobody else.
The bookstores take a cut on ebook sales as well - it's part of the partnership agreement.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote