Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-08-2013, 11:49 PM   #1
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
is anyone doing kombucha?

I'm thinking of getting a starter, and all of the *stuff* that goes with it
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:12 AM   #2
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Haven't there been some concerns about the risks of drinking kombucha generally, and particularly "home brew" because of unwanted bacteria getting into the brew?
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2013, 04:45 PM   #3
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
it seems (reading the directions) that if you follow the instructions and don't let mold in that it is fairly easy. I've been drinking over the counter bottles for about a week and can already tell the difference, but at three bucks a shot, that gets expensive fast
Old 04-09-2013, 06:21 PM   #4
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Not Kombucha, but I've been making "Water Kefir" for a while now. It's similar. I use PicklIt jars, which helps reduce the contamination risk. I've experimented with second fermentations with ginger and a squeeze of lemon and it makes a rather tasty ginger ale like drink.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:41 PM   #5
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

is there a "mother" that you start with?
Advert
Old 04-09-2013, 07:00 PM   #6
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I guess you're asking me...

Yes, I purchased a culture. I received about 1/4 cup of grains about 2 months ago and now have about 2-3 cups of grains that I have split into multiple jars in order to increase our output.

We've also been making home-made sauerkraut and pickled carrots (will be doing cucumbers this summer), which doesn't require a starter, just vegetables in brine.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:48 PM   #7
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Is the dink part worth it you think?
Old 04-09-2013, 10:26 PM   #8
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I'm thinking of getting a starter, and all of the *stuff* that goes with it
You MUST be talking about a different kombucha than they sell here... What starter and what stuff?

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:35 PM   #9
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

http://www.kombuchakamp.com/
Wow! It worked!(first time I tried that on my surface) poke around in there and tell me what you think
Old 04-09-2013, 11:54 PM   #10
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Interesting....

Sounds like the same claims made for sauerkraut juice drinking but in a tastier medium. All fermented foods have what some call a detoxification effect to them. Most folks don't realize that sauerkraut was a major food for the soldiers during the Civil War! There is something about the fermentation process that seems to change ordinary foods into something really healthy. Combine that with a good positive mental attitude and I guess you've got a winner!

The Germans have their sauerkraut, the Japanese have natto, Indians have tempeh, etc., etc.

I'll be interested to hear your feedback.

(It's just a shame to do this to anything called 'tea.' )

Stitchawl
Old 04-10-2013, 12:12 AM   #11
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

and I'm pretty fond of kim chee, but it's not terribly socially acceptable in western/anglicized culture.

a week in I am noticing improved gut function so far (and this is with the commercially available stuff). the finished product is so far from tea that you don't need to worry about insulting tea
Old 04-10-2013, 03:42 AM   #12
twowheels
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
You MUST be talking about a different kombucha than they sell here... What starter and what stuff?
If you buy it pre-made, no starter needed. If you are making it you need a SCOBY (symbiotic colony of bacteria and yeast) to put in your mixture to get the beneficial bacteria started.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:40 AM   #13
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
and I'm pretty fond of kim chee, but it's not terribly socially acceptable in western/anglicized culture.
I eat at least a pint of kimchee every week. I love the stuff. It's one of my favorite reasons for visiting Korea! Right now the Koreans are suing the Japanese who are making 'fake' kimchee. Rather than fermenting it, they are just adding lactic acid. The Koreans are fighting to get them to re-label it as something other than kimchee.

Quote:
a week in I am noticing improved gut function so far (and this is with the commercially available stuff). the finished product is so far from tea that you don't need to worry about insulting tea
I've never seen anything being sold like that here, but I'll ask my wife. It's easier for her to read the labels on the bottles. I'd certainly be willing to give it a try. When I think kombucha, I just think tea made with kombu. We usually have kombu in the house anyway...

... and MY teas have strong enough character not to get insulted by any ol' nasty bacterias....

Stitchawl
Old 04-10-2013, 05:10 AM   #14
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
About a year ago I was having some digestive problems and I was sent a bottle of "medicine" by a young Buddhist monk that I know from Laos. I eventually found out that the abbot makes this medicine by putting all the leftover food into a big barrel and decanting the resulting liquid after it has been left for two months. The result was a brown, sweet-smelling and quite scary tincture that was to be mixed with water. When I eventually got up the courage to try it, it actually tasted quite nice and seemed to bring some balance back to my digestive system. I am convinced that many of these remedies and foods work by creating the conditions in which our own gut flora can flourish and recover from the assault that our western diet subject our digestive systems to - but of course, that's not science!
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:33 AM   #15
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
........ - but of course, that's not science!
But that IS science. It's just not modern Western science. There have been a lot of very effective 'sciences' around for the past 5,000 years at which modern Western science rolls it's collective eyes. Things don't last 5,000 years without good reason...

Stitchawl