Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-14-2013, 02:40 PM   #31
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
2. Is there a difference between Contemporary Fiction & Modern Fiction? Contemporary and modern are the same thing. Some people, for their own sorting, will consider contemporary as published within the last 10 years and modern being the 20th century. I don't classify that way, so don't care.

3. Is there a good, meaningful definition of "Classic"? Classic depends on whether it is a librarian or a publisher calling the shots. Publishers use the definition as a marketing tool. For my purposes, I consider a classic to be something that has tested time and continues to be popular. In other words, 1930 or earlier and still published.

4. Is there a good, meaningful definition of "Literary"? Good question. Most of what people call literary today is just another word for chick fiction. It's all about feelings or something. ew.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:21 PM   #32
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
My use of tags is idiosyncratic. I use the Calibre tags to set up collections on my Kindle, so the tags can be everything from Romance - historical to Vorkosigan to Liad to Nero Wolfe... it all depends on how I'd probably look for a book, or what mood I need to be in to be interested in a book in that collection (Mystery - cozy).
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2013, 11:47 PM   #33
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
If you really are serious about thinking about genre, and not just resorting to a pub discussion about how one opinion is just as valid as another, then there is a useful introduction to genre theory here.
Thank you!

This site from OCLC Research: Advanced Library Collection Management Environment has been helpful for me.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:46 AM   #34
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
Thank you!

This site from OCLC Research: Advanced Library Collection Management Environment has been helpful for me.
Thank you! Happy Karma to you.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:14 PM   #35
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Mystery vs Thriller

My pet peeve is the all too common practice of lumping mysteries and thrillers together in the same list. I don't get it - they seem to be very different genres to me. Sheer laziness on the part of the list-markers
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2013, 02:10 PM   #36
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
My pet peeve is the all too common practice of lumping mysteries and thrillers together in the same list. I don't get it - they seem to be very different genres to me. Sheer laziness on the part of the list-markers
Exactly how I feel about Fantasy & Science Fiction!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:11 PM   #37
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
Quote:
My pet peeve is the all too common practice of lumping mysteries and thrillers together in the same list.

There are only two kinds of mysteries. Good ones and bad ones. Same rule may apply to thrillers.

Most junkies of the two genres can distinguish between pure mystery and pure thriller, but many writers seem to combine the two. It is a very lucrative field for authors and publishers. Throw in fantasy and you have the ingredients for a bestseller. Anything that the imagination can create is fair game for reading.
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:23 AM   #38
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I guess what's interesting is the differences in pace implied by the titles. Mystery evokes a conundrum that is unravelled in the course of the story whereas thriller implies an adrenalin rush; an edge-of-the-seat thrill ride.

It's not impossible for both to co-exist in a book, but I guess there is some disparity in the terms.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote