Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-12-2013, 09:56 AM   #16
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
For me, genre is simply a broad brush used to clear away debris so I can focus on which books to consider reading. I don't limit myself to one genre but the basics such as mystery/detective, romance novels, and science fiction work for me.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:24 AM   #17
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Everyone has there own opinion and many books are crossing genres. It's an interesting theoretical discussion, but in practice it is foolhardy to start nitpicking on individual genres. Thankfully the digital age has made it so we can categorize things as many different ways as we want, including pigeon-holing things into one spot on the shelf.

To me there are two genres: stuff I will read and crap.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2013, 11:52 AM   #18
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
To me there are two genres: stuff I will read and crap.
Yep... Works for me too.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:31 PM   #19
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
It has some use to me. I might have a hankering for a noir detective story or a political thriller or a western. Of course some of my favorite books are genre bending or breaking. The broad scope of a genre has similar value to me as saying something to eat is savory, sweet, salty, or sour.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:44 PM   #20
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
We can have an argument about it if you like?

Spoiler:
I did come up with a definition I liked after I made that post earlier:

In Space Opera, the science is there to serve the story; in Hard SF, the story is there to serve the science.

It seems to me that the tech in the HH series was initially created to emulate the navy of the early 19th Century, even down to having to fight with broadsides. It's just there to tell navy stories in SF clothes. It has become more of its own thing as the series has progressed and the technology has been developed.

Of course, it depends how you define the subdivisions, which is hard to get people to agree on, before you even get to apply them. The finer the distinctions, the less easy it is to put any given work in the right boxes.

There's a lot of really interesting stuff at the genre boundaries, too. It must be tricky to know how to shelve them in a bookstore. At least virtual stores can put the same book on many shelves.
I think space opera is more like Star Trek and Star Wars where as Hard Sci Fi is more like Forbidden Planet and The Fantastic Planet. Likewise in fiction space opera would be Ray Bradbury's "Martian Chronicles" and the John Carter books while the Hard Science Fiction would be Clarke's "The Sands of Mars," and Hamilton's "City at Worlds end."
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2013, 04:26 PM   #21
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I plan to come back and make individual replies to certain posts, when I have time. For now, as some have mentioned, I like knowing intended genres for numerous reasons:

1. I've learned that my favorite genre is Fantasy, with SciFi taking a firm 2nd place.
2. I find it easier to make and receive recommendations.
3. I have OCD tendencies when it comes to books and music.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:04 PM   #22
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Genre is like the aisles in the grocery store. It's a useful way to keep things organized. If you're looking for the applies, you probably don't expect to find them near the pasta. That doesn't mean everyone is going to agree what goes where. When I shop at a new grocery, it sometimes is confusing, because while many items unambiguously belong in a certain section, some items placement is more subjective. Subgenre (hard science fiction, space opera, etc) can be more ambiguous, becuase things can fall into more than one category. One of my favorite episodes of Star Trek: TNG is "Measure of a Man" where Data is on trial to see if he is a person or property. Star Trek does have some space opera aspects, but this episode is very hard science fiction. Space opera isn't necessarily something opposed to hard science fiction, it can be both. Star Trek isn't Flash Gordon or Buck Rogers.

Classic is hard to define. I look at a classic as a book that has stood the test of time, people are still reading it many decades after it was published. I look at Literature as anything written with words.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:21 PM   #23
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
A Game of Genres - "Ambiguity is coming."
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:37 PM   #24
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
Space Opera - Dem's fighting words! From sh*t to shinola is an interesting interpretation of the development of this subgenre:

http://www.sfrevu.com/ISSUES/2003/03...ned/Review.htm

The more comical something sounds, the more insults one can hurl. You can't be serious, it's only Space Opera, or Teen Romance, or pulp (gulp). You can call me Ray, or you can call me Jay, but you dare not call me Shirley. At the end of the eclipse, I suppose it does not matter. Just keep the royalty checks flowing.
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:45 PM   #25
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Space Opera: Worf singing in one of the Star Trek episodes
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:00 PM   #26
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
I find genre tagging useful - in moderation. In my own calibre collection, I'll tag all fiction as "fiction", then tag with one or more of: Modern Lit (post 1945), Classic Lit (pre-1945), Thriller, Mystery, Science Fiction, Fantasy, Historical Fiction, Western, Young Adult, Juvenile, Horror. I might also add a country or region if it's not from UK/USA/Canada/Australia, such as "Scandinavia". I have no desire, personally, to further divide into subgenres, it would be too time consuming, plus I like to cast a wide net when looking for a certain type of book. Nonfiction, similar procedure.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:21 PM   #27
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I gave up adding my own tags in Calibre... too much maintenance, combining Romance & Love Stores , Classic, w/ Classics w/ Classical Literature, etc. So I just leave whatever Calibre comes up with.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:21 PM   #28
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
If you really are serious about thinking about genre, and not just resorting to a pub discussion about how one opinion is just as valid as another, then there is a useful introduction to genre theory here.
Thank you so much for this!! Much karma to you!
Old 03-13-2013, 11:28 PM   #29
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
Perhaps the only genre distinction that approaches an absolute is fiction vs. non-fiction. Even that distinction can break down when you talk about novels, etc. with strong (auto)biographical elements.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:31 AM   #30
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
My calibre tags are few and broad - that's enough for me. I have: Fiction, Non-Fiction, Poetry, Short Stories and Reference
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote