Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-28-2013, 05:29 AM   #1
ploum
Zealot
ploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 3 + koreader
Unhappy Sleep with cover mess the current position

With my Kobo Glo, firmware 2.4 when I sleep from the button, everything works as expected.

I've bought a cover that does the automotic sleep (from Coverup). When I close the cover to sleep, the current position is messed. It's not always reproduceable but it usually I'm back 2 or 3 pages back. Sometimes, it even goes forward 2 or 3 pages.

I've upgraded to 2.5.1 hoping to fix the bug but it's absolutely worse. It's now messed up more often and something like 20 or 30*pages (!).

It makes the cover nearly unusable. It is very annoying and not what I expect from an upgrade.

Am I the only one suffering from this bug? Is there any existing workaround?

Thanks
ploum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:38 AM   #2
ewphoenix123
Addict
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo: Glo, Aura , Aura H2O, Aura ONE, Forma, Elipsa
That's a 2.3.x bug which was fixed in 2.4.0 if I recall correctly, although I haven't heard of anyone with 20-30 pages jumps, so I assume something didn't work right with your update.

You can try to log out of your account on the kobo and log back in, that should create the db on the reader new, and fix most problems that come from a faulty db.

If this doesn't help I would suggest a factory reset and then update again to 2.5.1.
ewphoenix123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2013, 09:40 AM   #3
ploum
Zealot
ploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewphoenix123 View Post
That's a 2.3.x bug which was fixed in 2.4.0 if I recall correctly, although I haven't heard of anyone with 20-30 pages jumps, so I assume something didn't work right with your update.

You can try to log out of your account on the kobo and log back in, that should create the db on the reader new, and fix most problems that come from a faulty db.

Thanks for the did. I tried and now the Kobo is very very very slowly going through the content (nearly two hours to go through 50% but it's probably because I've 500 epubs files on the device)
Old 04-28-2013, 10:49 AM   #4
Rob2246
Enthusiast
Rob2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle,nook ,ipad,kobo
Ploum I have the same problem with my glo even without a sleep cover on it. It goes back 2-3 pages from my last bookmark and is really annoying. I will give what ewphoenix suggests a shot and let you know how I make out.
Rob2246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:12 AM   #5
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob2246 View Post
Ploum I have the same problem with my glo even without a sleep cover on it. It goes back 2-3 pages from my last bookmark and is really annoying. I will give what ewphoenix suggests a shot and let you know how I make out.
Hopefully it will fix it for you but it may not. They have fixed that problem for most but not quite all sideloaded e-pubs. Not sure what the difference between the ones that work and the ones that are off is.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2013, 11:31 AM   #6
ploum
Zealot

Be warned that doing that erased all read/unread status and bookmarks from my books (because they are sideloaded and not bought from Kobo)
Old 04-28-2013, 03:22 PM   #7
Rob2246
Enthusiast
Rob2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle,nook ,ipad,kobo
Thanks Ploum. Appreciate the heads up
Rob2246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:40 PM   #8
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ploum View Post
With my Kobo Glo, firmware 2.4 when I sleep from the button, everything works as expected.

I've bought a cover that does the automotic sleep (from Coverup). When I close the cover to sleep, the current position is messed. It's not always reproduceable but it usually I'm back 2 or 3 pages back. Sometimes, it even goes forward 2 or 3 pages.

I've upgraded to 2.5.1 hoping to fix the bug but it's absolutely worse. It's now messed up more often and something like 20 or 30*pages (!).

It makes the cover nearly unusable. It is very annoying and not what I expect from an upgrade.

Am I the only one suffering from this bug? Is there any existing workaround?
have you considered the possibility that this is caused by a faulty sleepcover?

If the sleepcover has a pocket or flap or otherwise can touch the screen (or just come close enough to activate the IR sensors) as you close it, then it could be that it is turning pages as the cover closes but before the magnet activates the sleep mode. The same thing could happen if the magnet in the sleepcover is not positioned properly and the reader is waking up while the cover is still closed.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:33 PM   #9
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
have you considered the possibility that this is caused by a faulty sleepcover?

If the sleepcover has a pocket or flap or otherwise can touch the screen (or just come close enough to activate the IR sensors) as you close it, then it could be that it is turning pages as the cover closes but before the magnet activates the sleep mode. The same thing could happen if the magnet in the sleepcover is not positioned properly and the reader is waking up while the cover is still closed.
That was my thought too. I have the Kobo fabric sleepcover and don't experience anything like you have described.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:04 AM   #10
ploum
Zealot

Thanks for your input. I've investigated quite deeply the problem and you were right: the cover is at fault (at least partially).

I've discover that when putting the kobo within its cover in a bag, the magnet can be moved from a few millimeters. It's enough for the Kobo to wake up. At the next move, when the cover is pressed against the kobo, a part of the inner leather will touch the screen just before the kobo goes to sleep again, moving one page forward or backward.

Repeat several times and you have it. (it also drains the battery)

But without using any cover (and after disabling the magnet sensor), I still have sometimes a one or two pages move but it is a lot less often and never more than two pages.

I will write to the cover maker.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:49 AM   #11
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Hopefully it will fix it for you but it may not. They have fixed that problem for most but not quite all sideloaded e-pubs. Not sure what the difference between the ones that work and the ones that are off is.
I'm also seeing it in side-loaded kepubs. I think it is the original formatting of the books. I'm using Calibre, and start with an RTF file, which I convert to ePub, amd use Calibre to side-load (which does the ePub->kepub thingie). It consistently moves back a couple of pages everytime I sleep/wake.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote