Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-21-2013, 09:43 PM   #1
tkavan
Groupie
tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kindle Paperwhite
Glo goes to sleep

On three or four occasions, my Glo has automatically gone to sleep. It seems to happen when I have my right thumb poised to turn the page while I read the last line or two on the page.

I don't think I touch the page, but even if I did, it should just trigger a page-turn.

Had anyone else experienced this?
tkavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:57 PM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Is it on your first page after waking it or later in your reading?
If it's the 1st page, there is currently a bug/feature related to the sleep cover that means if you let it auto-sleep (even if you don't have a sleep cover), when you wake it it will auto-sleep after a short period of time (before you get to the end of the page) unless you change the page or bring up the bottom menu before it times out it goes back to sleep. Workaround is to either sleep it with the switch or touch screen before it times out (or read really fast on your first page ). This is discussed/debated in other threads and is meant to stop battery drain if sleep cover accidentally opens.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2013, 10:21 PM   #3
tkavan
Groupie
tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Is it on your first page after waking it or later in your reading?
If it's the 1st page, there is currently a bug/feature related to the sleep cover that means if you let it auto-sleep (even if you don't have a sleep cover), when you wake it it will auto-sleep after a short period of time (before you get to the end of the page) unless you change the page or bring up the bottom menu before it times out it goes back to sleep. Workaround is to either sleep it with the switch or touch screen before it times out (or read really fast on your first page ). This is discussed/debated in other threads and is meant to stop battery drain if sleep cover accidentally opens.
That sounds like the explanation. I think it is on the first page after waking up. Glad to know there's a reason.
Thanks.
Tom
tkavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:23 PM   #4
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Darned if that didn't beat my "A ghostly presence must be flicking your power switch... LOOK OUT IT'S REACHING OVER YOUR SHOULDER AGAIN!" explanation... oooooooooooh.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:14 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
What have you been reading?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2013, 12:29 AM   #6
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
H.P. Lovecraft... "At The Mountains Of Madness". Part of "Sense of Wonder" which is a tome of some 2400+ pages.

I know, 'splains a lot...

Someone has a great tag line that goes something like:

God wants you to love him. Allah wants you to obey. Cthulhu just wants to eat you.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:34 AM   #7
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
In 2.3.1 and earlier, the Glo only went to sleep after some number of seconds after being woken via the sleepcover mechanism if the screen was not touched. In 2.4.0, the same behaviour is happening when woken with the slider. The light goes off too. It's annoying.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:44 PM   #8
tchucker
Banned
tchucker , Klaatu Barada Niktu!tchucker , Klaatu Barada Niktu!tchucker , Klaatu Barada Niktu!tchucker , Klaatu Barada Niktu!tchucker , Klaatu Barada Niktu!tchucker , Klaatu Barada Niktu!tchucker , Klaatu Barada Niktu!tchucker , Klaatu Barada Niktu!tchucker , Klaatu Barada Niktu!tchucker , Klaatu Barada Niktu!tchucker , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: kobo mini, Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura One
Mine has been doing the same thing. After waking, whether it is from manually putting to sleep or from sleep cover, it shuts off before a page is read. Now I just press the screen once when I wake it.
tchucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:23 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
H.P. Lovecraft... "At The Mountains Of Madness". Part of "Sense of Wonder" which is a tome of some 2400+ pages.

I know, 'splains a lot...

Someone has a great tag line that goes something like:

God wants you to love him. Allah wants you to obey. Cthulhu just wants to eat you.
May Cthulhu forgive you and eat you first.

Jesus saves, Allah protects, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich.

Or one of my daughter's favourite T-shirts:

Meddle Thee Not in the Affairs of Dragons For Thou Art Crunchy and Wouldst Be Tasty With Ketchup

Regards,
David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sometime.gif
Views:	147
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	105444  

Last edited by DNSB; 05-05-2013 at 11:30 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:23 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is a bug in the 2.4.0 firmware. It has been fixed in 2.5.0 and 2.5.1. I recommend updating.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:35 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkavan View Post
On three or four occasions, my Glo has automatically gone to sleep. It seems to happen when I have my right thumb poised to turn the page while I read the last line or two on the page.

I don't think I touch the page, but even if I did, it should just trigger a page-turn.

Had anyone else experienced this?
That was a bug in 2.4.0 and was fixed in 2.5.0/2.5.1 -- at least, I haven't noticed it since I upgraded to 2.5.0.

Regards,
David
Old 05-05-2013, 11:51 PM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Or one of my daughter's favourite T-shirts:

Meddle Thee Not in the Affairs of Dragons For Thou Art Crunchy and Wouldst Be Tasty With Ketchup
And of course, the important question:

Last edited by davidfor; 05-06-2013 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Fixed the embedding
Old 05-06-2013, 12:12 AM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
And of course, the important question:
Hmmm... get an error occurred message when I try to play the video. On the other hand, when I quote your message, the URL that shows works if I stuff it into the browser's address line. I'm going to try a code wrap to see what that does.

Weird and wonderful toys these computers.

As for the video, to quote the end line of one short story: "And you, sir, are no minotaur!"

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 05-06-2013 at 12:22 AM.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:18 AM   #14
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Ah... the trick is

[youtube]ID of video[/youtube]

so in your case

[youtube]YyRe_8v-VVE[/youtube]

PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:23 AM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Ah... the trick is

[youtube]ID of video[/youtube]

so in your case

[youtube]YyRe_8v-VVE[/youtube]

I'll have to try to remember that the next time around.

Regards,
David