Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-25-2021, 03:22 PM   #1
katadelos
rm -rf /
katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K5, KT, KT2, KT3, KT4, KV, PW2, PW3, PW4, PW5
Snapshots of Katadelos's hacks

Here are download links to the latest versions of various projects, packages and builds that I work on; they're grouped here for much the same reason as NiLuJe's stuff (convenience, easier to arrange and release) but additionally, so that I can hold myself accountable to actually releasing stuff (as opposed to letting it languish on my hard drive).

Stuff in blue is packaged and available, stuff in red will be released in due course.

Most of the items in this listing follow this format:
Description | D/L Link | Size | MD5 Checksum

Pre-built Kindle Toolchains:
These toolchains are built on Ubuntu 20.04.3 - I'm pleased to announce that they've passed the rigorous "Works on My Machine®" certification program.

Pre-Patched Kernel + U-Boot Sources

Note: these ones can break your Kindle in ways that are neither fun nor interesting. In some cases, they can also be helpful for fixing it. You should probably have some means of recovery handy if you want to play with them.

Kernels:
  • linux-3.0.35-lab126 (Wario, No Initramfs) | TBA | N/A | TBA
  • linux-3.0.35-lab126 (Wario, Network Boot) | TBA | N/A | TBA
  • linux-3.0.35-lab126 (Wario, Initramfs w/ patched recovery-util) | TBA | N/A | TBA

U-Boot:

What do all of these do?

Spoiler:
  • stock_bist - Standard build of BIST bootloader (built-in self test)
  • stock_prod - Standard build of prod bootloader (built-in self test)
  • stock_mfgtool - Standard build of mfgtool bootloader (built-in self test)
  • usb_fastboot - Loadable over USB, boots directly into Fastboot mode
  • usb_diags - Loadable over USB, boots directly to diags mode
  • usb_kboot - Loadable over USB, boots kernel loaded to 0x80800000 using imx_usb_loader

If you've wiped your device, use usb_fastboot to boot a fastboot server then use it to flash stock_bist, stock_prod and the correct diags image for your device.

stock_mfgtool isn't useful in almost all situations but is included anyway.

usb_kboot is useful for testing kernels without flashing them.

Wario (KV, KT2, PW2, PW3)
Diags Images

Last edited by katadelos; 03-07-2022 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Jinja tweaks
katadelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 05:35 PM   #2
katadelos
rm -rf /
katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Updated with links to diags images for K4, KT2, KT3, PW2 and PW3; still need to pull images off my K5 and KT.

̶I̶'̶m̶ ̶s̶t̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶l̶o̶o̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶d̶i̶a̶g̶s̶ ̶i̶m̶a̶g̶e̶s̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶K̶3̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶K̶V̶,̶ ̶d̶r̶o̶p̶ ̶m̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶P̶M̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶o̶w̶n̶ ̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶s̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶I̶'̶l̶l̶ ̶g̶i̶v̶e̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶i̶n̶s̶t̶r̶u̶c̶t̶i̶o̶n̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶h̶o̶w̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶e̶x̶t̶r̶a̶c̶t̶ ̶i̶t̶.̶

Last edited by katadelos; 12-13-2021 at 03:16 PM.
Advert
Old 11-20-2021, 08:20 AM   #3
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Quote:
Originally Posted by katadelos View Post
I'm still looking for diags images for K3 and KV, drop me a PM if you own one of these and I'll give you instructions on how to extract it.
I don't think there is a diags partition on the K3. Only a diagnostic mode.

And the required support files might have been deleted before shipping.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ENABLE_DIAGS.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	190339

[EDIT 2021-11-20 14:11] Yep! In my Kindle all the support files are located in /test and the diagnostic script is /test/diags/factory/system_diags.sh

Last edited by PoP; 11-20-2021 at 02:15 PM.
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 03:39 AM   #4
lclrc
lclrc began at the beginning.

Device: kindle: Voyage, Paperwhite3
I have a KV, but I failed to PM you...
There is what the forum tells me:
Code:
you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
lclrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 06:13 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lclrc View Post
I have a KV, but I failed to PM you...
There is what the forum tells me:
Try again.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2021, 07:50 AM   #6
lclrc
lclrc began at the beginning.

Device: kindle: Voyage, Paperwhite3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Try again.
Oh yes, I can PM now and I succeed in sending PM to katadelos. Thank you!
lclrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 03:45 PM   #7
katadelos
rm -rf /

Updated with link to KV diags image, massive thanks to j.p.s, lclrc, and MrTick for helping out with this!

Also added a link to a mirror of uboot-2014.04-lab126 - work on creating functional builds using this is almost complete so expect some Heisenberg/KT3 goodies in due course.

Finally, I've been working on a no-serial recovery/flashing solution - it's very similar to CRP but doesn't require the presence of a kernel or filesystem to function. Check out this commit for a sneak preview of how this works on the U-Boot side of things

Last edited by katadelos; 12-13-2021 at 06:03 PM.
Old 11-09-2023, 01:53 PM   #8
Hightree
Enthusiast
Hightree began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 5
Is there a DIAG image for PW5?
Hightree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 07:20 PM   #9
Hightree
Enthusiast

Anybody tried PW3 DIAG image on PW5?

Whats the CPU model in PW3?
Old 11-15-2023, 06:55 AM   #10
Marek
Zealot
Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: PW4 :(, KT5, PB628
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightree View Post
Anybody tried PW3 DIAG image on PW5?

Whats the CPU model in PW3?
You can't have diags on pw5 unless you want to brick yourself trying
Marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 04:55 PM   #11
Hightree
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek View Post
You can't have diags on pw5 unless you want to brick yourself trying
Could you please explain why?
One could shrink user partition e.g.
SSH doesn't require user interface. One may have to move some usbnetwork files probably.

Wish there was a way to boot into an image to try say pw3 diag image without making significant changes.

Last edited by Hightree; 11-16-2023 at 05:00 PM.
Old 11-16-2023, 05:49 PM   #12
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
You can't make something out of nothing?

The PW5 is an *extremely* different board than the PW3.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diags images, toolchain