Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-17-2013, 05:20 PM   #256
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakcrew View Post
I hate to suggest separating yourself from your beloved Glo, but I think you should return this one too (or arrange to send it to Sameer for analysis in exchange for a new unit that Kobo have checked first - after all, you have been more than reasonable in trying to mitigate any loss, so they shouldn't lightly mess you about).
Hmm, yes that would be an interesting test. Get Kobo to send you a Glo that they have spent a week or so testing, and that they are happy with the battery life, and see how it acts once you get your mitts on it. If the battery life changes so that it doesn't reflect what Kobo saw in their tests, then that might point to maybe it being something unique to you (i.e. specific ebooks or usage or environmental factors, etc).
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:54 PM   #257
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Well, I'm very carefully not suggesting you void your warrantee, but if the battery in your Touch is the same as the one in your Glo... Chances are as long as the wires are the same color code, battery polarity would be the same. A meter could also be used to determine polarity. Certainly would be interesting. Perhaps a quick email to SameerH would get you permission/advice considering your status as a beta tester...
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2013, 10:40 PM   #258
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
I'm 21 full days in since charging, 40.5 hours of reading on lowest lighting level, and at 39%...
I got 44 hours over 14 days with my Glo which took the battery down to 25%, and then it went from 25% to empty in about another hour. That was with firmware 2.3.2, I haven't done a proper test since upgrading to 2.4.0.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:35 AM   #259
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Quote:
Well, I'm very carefully not suggesting you void your warrantee, but if the battery in your Touch is the same as the one in your Glo... Chances are as long as the wires are the same color code, battery polarity would be the same. A meter could also be used to determine polarity. Certainly would be interesting. Perhaps a quick email to SameerH would get you permission/advice considering your status as a beta tester...
That's a good point! By the way, Mrs_O, I don't think I knew you were a beta tester. Congratulations!
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:45 AM   #260
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by moffattm View Post
If the battery life changes so that it doesn't reflect what Kobo saw in their tests, then that might point to maybe it being something unique to you
Like the length of my hair?

Nah, yes, that would be interesting. But I want a *new* device of course, not one with other-people-stink all over it I'd be happy to do that test it they *also* sent me a new device.

Quote:
Hah. Interesting indeed! I vaguely recall batteries are not similar though, but I've no idea where that recollection comes from. So, easiest way to find out is to open up my Touch. I'll think about it. First, I want a week of reading before I do more messing about. Gah.

Quote:
I'm 21 full days in since charging, 40.5 hours of reading on lowest lighting level, and at 39%...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I got 44 hours over 14 days with my Glo which took the battery down to 25%, and then it went from 25% to empty in about another hour. That was with firmware 2.3.2, I haven't done a proper test since upgrading to 2.4.0.
Mm interesting. So 44 hours vs 41 hours spread out over an extra week... Nice! I wonder if TechniSol's battery will suddenly drop to 0% anytime soon. Thanks for sharing Geoff.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2013, 05:46 AM   #261
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That's a good point! By the way, Mrs_O, I don't think I knew you were a beta tester. Congratulations!
I'm not but thanks I think Tech was merely pointing out all the battery tests I've been doing....
Old 03-18-2013, 06:32 AM   #262
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
I'm not but thanks I think Tech was merely pointing out all the battery tests I've been doing....
Ahhh ... I understand! Isn't the phrase "user-testing" when it is something that has already been released? There was a really good term for releasing something and then letting the buyers do the development work regarding British Leyland cars in the 70s, and I can't quite grab it to throw at the screen.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:15 PM   #263
VelvetElvis
Addict
VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Fire HD8, Asus, Sony (T1, PRS-300), Kobo (Glo, Touch, Wireless)
Quote:
You have a mini as well... and even THAT is giving you crap!? Oh my. I'm glad I'm not you!
Oops, let me rephrase that.

By "mini", I meant a small sub-set of a larger test of Glo #3. Nope, all I have are 3 6" Kobos and a Sony.
VelvetElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:51 PM   #264
VelvetElvis
Addict
VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Well, after two sets of emails elicited no response from either Sameer or Danny Staffieri , I come home today to find Glo #4 has arrived.

The return packaging indicates it's going back to Ingram Micro Logistics, who I believe handle all their fulfillment in Canada. There's no note, no "Mark to the attention of", just the usual instructions that came with all the other units. So I don't know if this was Kobo Customer Care who initiated this, or Danny, as was promised. If I had to guess, I would say the former.

Worst case, this winds up in a pile with all the other returned units Kobo gets.

I will try one more set of emails to Sameer and Danny, asking again for direction. I'll wait a couple of days, then off it goes.

Sad that communication on this is suddenly so lacking.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:59 PM   #265
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetElvis View Post
This is one of the worst bits of dealing with Kobo - their communication is abysmal. Before anyone leaps down my throat, yes, I know that they are not the only company like this, but for a relatively small player in the e-reader market (a market that seems to be shrinking, according to recent figures I saw somewhere, probably on <i>The Register</i>) they ought to have customer service way above the bigger players so that people want to buy from them, secure in the knowledge that they will get looked after in the event of problems.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:44 PM   #266
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
The only done side is that the light is much too bright/harsh. The lowest setting is even too bright really for reading in darkness, but you get used to it. But there seem to be a number of Glo's out there that have received a softer lighting that has a yellow-ish glow to it, as apposed to the blue-ish glow of the harsher lighting.
Adding my own data points in...

I got my Glo very recently (last week), and it's got the blue-tinted light. My bedroom is pitch-black, to the point that power lights and my alarm clock are significant light sources, and I've been fine reading on the lowest level, but I do wish I could dim it a little more. My battery life has been good, like my Touch or better, but I haven't had time to give it a real workout yet. I also power-off instead of sleeping, but I do have auto-power-off and auto-sleep settings configured. (It's either "sleep after 5 minutes, off after 10" or 10/15.)
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:36 PM   #267
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Oops, let me rephrase that.

By "mini", I meant a small sub-set of a larger test of Glo #3. Nope, all I have are 3 6" Kobos and a Sony.
Aaahhh okay

Quote:
Well, after two sets of emails elicited no response from either Sameer or Danny Staffieri , I come home today to find Glo #4 has arrived.

The return packaging indicates it's going back to Ingram Micro Logistics, who I believe handle all their fulfillment in Canada. There's no note, no "Mark to the attention of", just the usual instructions that came with all the other units. So I don't know if this was Kobo Customer Care who initiated this, or Danny, as was promised. If I had to guess, I would say the former.

Worst case, this winds up in a pile with all the other returned units Kobo gets.

I will try one more set of emails to Sameer and Danny, asking again for direction. I'll wait a couple of days, then off it goes.

Wow you got your replacement already? That's quite quick. But I suppose it doesn't have to travel so far to you... plus, Danny/customer service might have seen your address when you gave it to them instead of asking for it again a week later. Hm.

I too haven't heard anything from Danny nor Sameer and not even from Matt – while I've sent the latter two quite a few emails already with test data and a few questions. Oh well. Sameer has told me previously that they are working as fast as they can, so I am confident that something is happening.

Still annoying to be left in the dark, though. I don't even know if Danny received my address the second time I sent it.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:38 PM   #268
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
Adding my own data points in...

I got my Glo very recently (last week), and it's got the blue-tinted light. My bedroom is pitch-black, to the point that power lights and my alarm clock are significant light sources, and I've been fine reading on the lowest level, but I do wish I could dim it a little more. My battery life has been good, like my Touch or better, but I haven't had time to give it a real workout yet. I also power-off instead of sleeping, but I do have auto-power-off and auto-sleep settings configured. (It's either "sleep after 5 minutes, off after 10" or 10/15.)
Thanks for sharing.

Turning you device off instead of sleeping in between reading sessions will get you good battery life. The problem occurs during sleep mode – so it's not surprising you're not having any problems. Then again, you might be one of the lucky many who can sleep their Glo all they want with no extra battery drain.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:44 PM   #269
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
This is one of the worst bits of dealing with Kobo - their communication is abysmal. Before anyone leaps down my throat, yes, I know that they are not the only company like this, but for a relatively small player in the e-reader market (a market that seems to be shrinking, according to recent figures I saw somewhere, probably on <i>The Register</i>) they ought to have customer service way above the bigger players so that people want to buy from them, secure in the knowledge that they will get looked after in the event of problems.
Yes, Kobo's customer service communication is among the worst (I've lost/greyed hair's because of them). But in fairness (to Sameer at least), the people you are dealing with now are really management rather than customer service and it's great that they're trying to get you sorted out, but they could well be out of the country or in meetings/conference all day/night with limited time to respond to e-mails. I would tend to give them a little more slack. Glad you got a new one.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:15 PM   #270
VelvetElvis
Addict

Quote:
Wow you got your replacement already? That's quite quick. But I suppose it doesn't have to travel so far to you
I'm just a bit over 200 km down a major highway from Kobo HQ, so it makes for a quick shipment.

Quote:
... plus, Danny/customer service might have seen your address when you gave it to them instead of asking for it again a week later. Hm.

I too haven't heard anything from Danny nor Sameer and not even from Matt – while I've sent the latter two quite a few emails already with test data and a few questions. Oh well. Sameer has told me previously that they are working as fast as they can, so I am confident that something is happening.

Still annoying to be left in the dark, though. I don't even know if Danny received my address the second time I sent it.
Just got an email 5 minutes ago from Danny. They're going to send another prepaid mailer so that the unit gets properly directed. Makes me feel a bit better.