Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-27-2021, 01:01 AM   #1
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Elipsa + Bluetooth = it works

I spent some time exploring the BT feature and discovered a couple of things. Keyboards work as one would expect, functional for anything requiring text input, i.e. dictionary, search, etc., with results dependent upon the type and key mapping of the keyboard - same as with any tablet. NOTE: This does not apply to notebooks/notetaking.

The real surprise was the connection of audio devices. (I thought I read audio was a going to be a no-go) The following paired and connected:
  • B&O Beolit BT portable speaker
  • Sennheiser Momentum TW2 and Momentum TW BT earphones (with a battery icon displayed on the Elipsa - cool!)
  • Sony 1000XM3 headphones

It connected to even more devices and also recognized a Samsung Smart TV.

So, I wonder if audiobooks will be a future option?

UPDATE: I woke up this morning with the battery at 28%. It was around 90% when I left it the night before. The only explanation is the BT, as I've not loaded tons of books just yet (10 epubs, 2 PDFs and Pocket articles) No way to confirm as there is no definitive on/off capability with the feature and there were no devices connected at the time. So, if one is inclined to experiment, be forewarned. Will continue to check for any drain and update again if needed.

Last edited by Skydog; 06-27-2021 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Added note and update
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 01:56 AM   #2
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Fascinating! I haven’t experimented with the Bluetooth options yet. It sure seems that audio might be in the Kobo’s future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2021, 02:04 AM   #3
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
Fascinating! I haven’t experimented with the Bluetooth options yet. It sure seems that audio might be in the Kobo’s future.
That would make sense given both the 32GB storage, and their incessant efforts to flog audiobooks. Despite the fact that I've bought around 200 ebooks since joining Kobo nearly 3 years ago and exactly zero audiobooks in the same period, they insist on on sending countless emails urging me to change my ways, often promoting ONLY audiobooks, no ebooks at all. VERY annoying.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 03:49 AM   #4
pickyaxe
Addict
pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I can definitely see myself using this with the stand and a Bluetooth keyboard, as an eInk display for writing.
pickyaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 08:15 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
But audiobooks on a phone makes more sense. Easy to pocket and then do other mindless activities, though I can't drive a car and listen to an audio book or radio drama.

I have a stand sold for cookery books in the local pound/euro shop good for my 10" LCD or the 7.8" eink Mars (both using Jota app); about €3 or €4. I found a decent midi sized (no numeric pad) BT keyboard €12 inc shipping eBay China that's as good as my best USB Logitech, Microsoft or Compaq desktop keyboards. Doesn't lose start of words, randomly disconnect and re-connects on power on every time without needing to re-pair. I've had so many garbage BT keyboards in last 15 years that I can't believe this one.
Better than the MS 850 proprietary non-BT wireless keyboard-mouse combo.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2021, 10:39 AM   #6
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Good to see Kobo keeping it open and not choking the hardware with needless software restrictions.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 03:23 PM   #7
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickyaxe View Post
I can definitely see myself using this with the stand and a Bluetooth keyboard, as an eInk display for writing.
There was no mention of writing/notetaking via keyboard in my post for a reason. It is not possible. I have updated my post for clarification.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 07:00 PM   #8
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickyaxe View Post

Wait! You’re absolutely right. All we’d need is a word processor app that saves locally or to the Dropbox folder. In fact, the Kobo runs on Linux which already has text editors like vi and nano. I wonder how hard it would be to make something like Wordgrinder, which runs in the Linux terminal, work on the Elipsa.

Old 06-27-2021, 07:00 PM   #9
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
There was no mention of writing/notetaking via keyboard in my post for a reason. It is not possible. I have updated my post for clarification.

Ah, hopes dashed so quickly…

Old 06-27-2021, 08:48 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
From what I was told, it should work. I was told it was to allow you to "type reviews/notes". It seems to have been a relatively late addition, so there may still be some kinks in it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 08:57 PM   #11
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
From what I was told, it should work. I was told it was to allow you to "type reviews/notes". It seems to have been a relatively late addition, so there may still be some kinks in it.
Just to back this up the Forma (I believe) introduced the slide to unlock feature when it launched and there were a few bugs relating to it. If that relatively simple feature can be glitchy I’m sure something like Bluetooth support can be glitchy.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 08:23 AM   #12
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
So the BT is only for audio? A bit pointless as a phone is better.

I've tested every ereader I ever got with a USB2Go adaptor. The PW3 works a generic USB Audio stick. The only one that I've tested that works with a keyboard (out of the box) is the Boyue Likebook Mars, and oddly only on Bluetooth, not USB. That was added in a FW update. It also does BT audio, should you wish to listen to music while reading. The Android Playstore “Musicolet” works on it and supports non-DRM audiobooks as it “remembers” the file location. I'd use my phone and “Musicolet” or a vendors DRM solution for actual audio books.
My son has a PW4, but I got no chance yet to check out its BT or USB.

It's disappointing the lack even of USB keyboards on HW and OS that actually supports USB2Go and USB HID. My Ancient Sony Android 4.0 phone has an HDMI out and works with a USB hub for mouse, keyboard and USB storage! In comparison the WiFi Casting on both my tablets and newer phone is garbage to use with a TV and only the 48" Sony HDR 4K TV supports it. No way to use HDMI monitors. I blame Apple and Amazon.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 09:24 AM   #13
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post

I've tested every ereader I ever got with a USB2Go adaptor. The PW3 works a generic USB Audio stick. The only one that I've tested that works with a keyboard (out of the box) is the Boyue Likebook Mars, and oddly only on Bluetooth, not USB. That was added in a FW update. It also does BT audio, should you wish to listen to music while reading. The Android Playstore “Musicolet” works on it and supports non-DRM audiobooks as it “remembers” the file location. I'd use my phone and “Musicolet” or a vendors DRM solution for actual audio books.
My son has a PW4, but I got no chance yet to check out its BT or USB.

It's disappointing the lack even of USB keyboards on HW and OS that actually supports USB2Go and USB HID. My Ancient Sony Android 4.0 phone has an HDMI out and works with a USB hub for mouse, keyboard and USB storage! In comparison the WiFi Casting on both my tablets and newer phone is garbage to use with a TV and only the 48" Sony HDR 4K TV supports it. No way to use HDMI monitors. I blame Apple and Amazon.
Does the Mars support flash drives over USB? If so, not supporting keyboards is weird or perhaps the keyboard drew more power than the device was willing to give? My Boox devices do support keyboards and other devices over USB C, unfortunately they don't support video out but a lot of low end devices don't so it's not too surprising, none of my other Android devices do either because I'm not willing to buy flagships to get it.

Apple devices actually do all support HDMI out via lightning or USB C. The former is expensive and it's sort of a hack really as it basically just sets up an Airplay stream and then delivers it over a cable as lightning doesn't actually have the bandwidth to do it. You can also get similar "active HDMI USB C cable" for android devices that does basically the same thing. Not as slick because it isn't built into the OS but it's like a 1/3rd the price of Apple's solution.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 10:31 AM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
No, Kobo have explicitly stated that there is no Audio support. And read @Skydog's original post. The keyboard works in some places. Just not in one place they expected to be able to use it. As I implied above, I think this is a bug.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 10:38 AM   #15
chompop
chompop is generous with chocolatechompop is generous with chocolatechompop is generous with chocolatechompop is generous with chocolatechompop is generous with chocolatechompop is generous with chocolatechompop is generous with chocolatechompop is generous with chocolatechompop is generous with chocolatechompop is generous with chocolatechompop is generous with chocolate

Device: KK,PWM,PW4,KO2,i86,n96ml,Forma
May I ask if you can you turn page with keys on bluetooth keyboard (arrow keys, page up/down, space bar, volume +/-)?

TIA
chompop is offline   Reply With Quote