Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 09-07-2012, 03:26 PM   #16
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
The Paperwhite Kindle looks great and I have pre-ordered. Since I have discovered that all the new tablets will contain unsolicited advertising my interest level has dropped considerably. It was poor of Amazon not to mention this at the press event today.
You mean that if you order the $139 Paperwhite "Without Special Offers", you will still get ads?

Regards - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:28 PM   #17
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabby View Post
You mean that if you order the $139 Paperwhite "Without Special Offers", you will still get ads?

Regards - John
Read again. Tablets, not ereaders. And, yes, the product description page for tablets lists this. Due to the understandable outcry, Amazon will be publishing an announcement regarding the ability to opt-out (according to an article by Engadget). One can only wonder how much this will add to the price(s). Amazon really goofed up with this.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2012, 05:01 PM   #18
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Opt out available

Quote:
Read again. Tablets, not ereaders. And, yes, the product description page for tablets lists this. Due to the understandable outcry, Amazon will be publishing an announcement regarding the ability to opt-out (according to an article by Engadget). One can only wonder how much this will add to the price(s). Amazon really goofed up with this.
If a Kindle Fire HD 7 or 8.9 owner goes to the Amazon site: Your Account \ Manage Your Kindle \ Manage Your Devices and goes to the column titled, "Special Offers," there the optin / optout decision can be made. The default will be optin but, if some want out, they would just select that option.

I don't believe there will be any extra charge for that option but I am not sure yet. Since the Kindle Fire HD is in direct competition with the Apple iPad (new models to be announced for that company next week), I doubt a charge would be instituted for the optout option.

Thr Paperwhite offers two models: one with the optin and the other with the optout at a higher price. It also offers 3G / WiFi or just WiFi.

Last edited by sirmaru; 09-07-2012 at 05:06 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:49 PM   #19
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That may be the case at a later date but, as of now, there is no such option and that is the point of my post. Further, the description lists the included ads with no mention whatsoever of an option now, or later, to opt-out. Those of us who have been Kindle consumers for years know about the SO opt in/opt out feature but many in the general public purchasing Fires do not.

We all know the option is available on the new Paperwhite - it's clearly a selection available when purchased.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:10 AM   #20
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Due to the understandable outcry, Amazon will be publishing an announcement regarding the ability to opt-out (according to an article by Engadget). One can only wonder how much this will add to the price(s). Amazon really goofed up with this.
Engadget has updated after speaking directly with Amazon. There are no plans to offer an opt-out.

Amazon's FAQ on the new devices also seems to indicate you won't be able to opt out on the PW S/O either (although you can of course buy the one without S/O's).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2012, 01:44 AM   #21
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Engadget has updated after speaking directly with Amazon. There are no plans to offer an opt-out.

Amazon's FAQ on the new devices also seems to indicate you won't be able to opt out on the PW S/O either (although you can of course buy the one without S/O's).
The omission of any explanation by Amazon alone convinced me that the SO's on the new Fires were not optional. It has been very quiet on their end with only the disclosure in the product description. I can understand bundling the devices with the ads -- what I do not understand is their disallowing removal for a fee at a later date.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:06 AM   #22
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
I can only assume the special offers won't appear when you put the KF in "kid mode" so my kid's don't accidentally order 4 disney movies while playing a mickey game, haha.

I think I am getting the 7" KF HD Wifi for my birthday. I was leaning towards a Nexus 7 but then I realized that the Nexus is the same exact operating system I have on my phone....exactly the same.
The Fire HD at least gives me access to Amazon Instant Video and I am already a Prime member anyway.

I also ordered a PaperWhite wifi for myself, Kindle Touch is going to my mom.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:09 PM   #23
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Its now official - optout available for $ 15.

Its now official:

"Amazon Kindle HD Will Allow Users To Opt-Out Of “Special Offers” For $15."

Here is the link:

http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/08/ama...offers-for-15/

I purchased the Kindle Paperwhite without the Special Offers and I will now opt out for my Kindle Fire HD.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:34 AM   #24
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
I ordered two also : the PW wifi with SO, scheduled delivery Oct 3rd, and the fire HD 7", scheduled delivery October 29th (one was ordered in the US, the other in Europe).

I don't need either, but I want them ...!

For me here, being in Europe, the SO are entertaining and I don't mind them at all. They allow us to get the devices to a much, much better price than the ones amazon offers us over the european shops.

Last edited by aceflor; 09-09-2012 at 06:37 AM.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:41 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
My Paperwhite WiFi is scheduled for a Oct 11 delivery. You beat me by 8 days. They must be selling millions of units on day 1. Those, who order next week, will probably get delivery in December.
Mine was ordered the day after the announcement, and is October 17th. I ordered the 3G version.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:43 AM   #26
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Mine was ordered the day after the announcement, and is October 17th.
So you did order it too
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:44 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A friend in the US has ordered it for me, to be more precise.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:43 AM   #28
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
I ordered two also : the PW wifi with SO, scheduled delivery Oct 3rd, and the fire HD 7", scheduled delivery October 29th (one was ordered in the US, the other in Europe).

I don't need either, but I want them ...!

For me here, being in Europe, the SO are entertaining and I don't mind them at all. They allow us to get the devices to a much, much better price than the ones amazon offers us over the european shops.

I couldn't resist paying the extra $3 for one day shipping so my PW-wifi-SO should be here on October 2nd. Can't wait.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote