Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-10-2012, 06:03 PM   #16
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I love my DX. I got it for the same price on a one-day deal Amazon had last year before Christmas.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:09 PM   #17
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
No question: Amazon has new Kindles on the horizon--their State Dept contract says so.
Now, *when* they arrive is where the guessing game goes.
The original widespread guess was July but it was followed by a report of production problem with the frontlight leading to a delay, generally guessed at 1-2 months.
So a mid-to-late august announcement isn't all that unlikely.
And with both Amazon and Best Buy having sales on refurb'ed Kindles in the last week or so, these new reports add fuel to the fire.
Besides, we need new toys to talk about.
Dare we dream of a gray scale Kindle with darker blacks and lighter whites? Even 32 levels of gray?
Dare we dream of a SD slot?
Dare we dream of an enlightened battery versus weight scenario where the battery wins just a little more? Or and OMG, a removable battery!! Where did that come from?
Dare we dream of a reasonable touchscreen 3G system? (I don't mind paying for what I use but not a sock it in the face monthly charge no matter what.)
Dare we just say no to super video hardware and settle back with a nice ink-paper look and save the hardware money?
Dare we just say no to super movie streaming and just save even more money on hardware?

Dare we ...
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2012, 06:14 PM   #18
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Even 32 levels of gray?
Would that make the Kindle only 64% as erotic as 50 Shades of Gray?
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:35 PM   #19
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Since last Xmas, the DXG has shown up on Woot twice, and as a Gold Box deal once (that I am aware of). So this appearance may be just more of Amazon's strategy to use a "one time" sale to continue moving their least popular model ....

who knows?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:45 PM   #20
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Dare we dream of a gray scale Kindle with darker blacks and lighter whites?
Not likely, because a dramatic contrast improvement would have been heralded at eInk.com, and probably would have been first seen at electronics shows and in lower volume products.

Quote:
Or and OMG, a removable battery!! Where did that come from?
The Kindle Keyboard battery seems easily removable to me, especially for something you have to do only once every few years. There's no harm in carefully prying open the case, seeing what I mean, and then snapping it closed. I think it's the same for all the Kindle's except for the entry level non-touch, which has a glued-in battery.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2012, 06:56 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Dare we dream of a gray scale Kindle with darker blacks and lighter whites? Even 32 levels of gray?
Do know that you can make any Kindle have 50 shades of grey in about 5 minutes tops?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:58 PM   #22
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
I'm dying ... I'm dying for a new Kindle DXG model.

The current DXG is painfully slow. Touch screen would be lovely too. But its weight to size ratio is great.

It would be fantastic for my computer books that so far, I can only read on my iPad or landscape mode if I use my Kindle Touch.

I love eink for reading.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:00 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
I'm dying ... I'm dying for a new Kindle DXG model.

It would be fantastic for my computer books that so far, I can only read on my iPad or landscape mode if I use my Kindle Touch.

I love eink for reading.
I doubt Amazon will be coming out with another large screen reader. I think they've gone the tablet route for reading on a larger screen.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:15 PM   #24
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I doubt Amazon will be coming out with another large screen reader. I think they've gone the tablet route for reading on a larger screen.
Unfortunately, you may be right. And it's more because business than anything else, is what the market is dictating now.

But I'm a strong advocate of eink for true reading, even though I own an iPad myself.

7 inches tablets or eink readers are not big enought for books with tables, programming code or complex layout.

Last edited by jocampo; 08-10-2012 at 07:18 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:21 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The thing is, given how expensive a 9.7" eink reader is, a tablet is a better value overall given how much it can do that the reader cannot do. People are going to see it this way and not bother with the reader and go for the tablet. In fact, some tablets of a similar screen size are cheaper.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:30 PM   #26
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The thing is, given how expensive a 9.7" eink reader is, a tablet is a better value overall given how much it can do that the reader cannot do. People are going to see it this way and not bother with the reader and go for the tablet. In fact, some tablets of a similar screen size are cheaper.
Disagree.

It's not about value, in my opinion. It's about what the market dictates.

Value is relative to the user so I wouldn't make it a general comment.

For true reading, the iPad has less value than DXG. Of course, you can do lot of stuff with an iPad, no question about it, but creates more distractions, it's heavier and I'm subject to few hours of days of continue use. With the DXG, couple of weeks.

The iPad is not a dedicated ereader, it's a tablet.

I sold the DXG because as reader, was too slow and never got updated but to me, the DXG is better as reader device: eink plus light and comfortable.

Hopefully this won't mean the end of eink line for Amazon.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:25 PM   #27
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
Not likely, because a dramatic contrast improvement would have been heralded at eInk.com, and probably would have been first seen at electronics shows and in lower volume products.

The Kindle Keyboard battery seems easily removable to me, especially for something you have to do only once every few years. There's no harm in carefully prying open the case, seeing what I mean, and then snapping it closed. I think it's the same for all the Kindle's except for the entry level non-touch, which has a glued-in battery.
Unfortunately you are probably right on the gray scale.

However you misunderstand the "removable battery" option. I mean a recess where there are 2 or 3 rechargeable or alkaline batteries and you only have to depress a latch to pop the top up and switch batteries. (For those places where a wall or car charger aren't usable.)
This would make it more portable.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:45 AM   #28
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
Would that make the Kindle only 64% as erotic as 50 Shades of Gray?

Sexy!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:06 AM   #29
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by krm0789 View Post
FWIW, my local Staples & Best Buy both had "New E-reader coming soon" displays on Wednesday. They were located next to the Kindles... Here's hoping?

Don't get too excited. They're just space fillers. I've seen them in stores for months now.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:29 AM   #30
geoffwood
Addict
geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT+K4T+PRST1
Quote:
However you misunderstand the "removable battery" option. I mean a recess where there are 2 or 3 rechargeable or alkaline batteries and you only have to depress a latch to pop the top up and switch batteries. (For those places where a wall or car charger aren't usable.)
This would make it more portable.
I understand that argument for a smartphone where you may not be able to easily recharge the device during a day, but we're talking about an eReader. This is a device with a battery that lasts a month and you can't plan far enough ahead to charge it every few weeks?

Unless you're kayaking up the Amazon I think the battery life is fine.
geoffwood is offline   Reply With Quote