Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 01-03-2008, 03:22 AM   #1
mitja_i
Enthusiast
mitja_i began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Another proud owner of Cybook gen3

Hello everybody! I've been on the forums for a while now (since Sony's PRS-500 announcement). I really wished to get an e-ink reader for a present and I got it from my girlfriend. I got the black cover.
It's fantastic. The screen is HUGE and the contrast is great and readable! I love it! The navigation is very easy. It has synced with mobireader without any problems. Booting is really quick! Moving the file is so easy as cybook acts as an USB disk.
I already put several fonts on it and had to delete the cache file manualy.
The "eastern-europe" characters work when a html file is processed through mobipocket creator as UTF-8.

My only complaint is about line spacing and margins in mobi files. I get far better results in custom PDF's at feedbooks.com.
And I have to look into why a custom made dictionary created in mobipocket creator is not working on cybook as it works fine in mobireader.
I didn't yet used SD cards or headphones.
mitja_i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:04 AM   #2
lindemaximilian
lindemaximilian began at the beginning.

Device: cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitja_i View Post
And I have to look into why a custom made dictionary created in mobipocket creator is not working on cybook as it works fine in mobireader.

This is because the Cybook does not support word lists which, incidently, strongly reduces its usefulnes for reading foreign language books.
lindemaximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2008, 04:22 AM   #3
mitja_i
Enthusiast
mitja_i began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Well it did show an error message this is not implemented yet. By the way I tested free french to french dictionary and it worked great!
But I have another issue. Somebody said that this is just another gadget that is useful only to geeks and not "real" readers who "love" real paper. I don't agree with that. I believe that there are real advantages of e-ink over "old" paper...

Last edited by mitja_i; 01-03-2008 at 04:27 AM.
mitja_i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:29 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindemaximilian View Post
This is because the Cybook does not support word lists which, incidently, strongly reduces its usefulnes for reading foreign language books.
Could you explain what you mean by that, please?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:42 AM   #5
lindemaximilian

Quote:
Well it did show an error message this is not implemented yet.
This is true; I should therefore modify my statement as follows: in its present version the Cybook is not very useful for reading foreign language books. Needless to add that I am waiting desperately for an update of the firmware which would support word lists. (As explained in another thread this would facilitate the finding of inflected words).
Advert
Old 01-03-2008, 04:57 AM   #6
lindemaximilian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Could you explain what you mean by that, please?
This was done here.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:21 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Thanks!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:48 AM   #8
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
My only complaint is about line spacing and margins in mobi files. I get far better results in custom PDF's at feedbooks.com.
What is your problem with the line spacing? I think it is very good since it is not to small.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:15 AM   #9
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Glad that you like our output. I recently added the template that Michael used to create the embedded files on the Cybook. It's available on the custom PDF page.

I'll keep on using PDF myself, I really need hyphenation.

But now that we produce Mobipocket & epub files too, our users can select between optimized fixed page format, or reflowable format. We'll add covers on our reflowable files very soon.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:07 AM   #10
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
I'll keep on using PDF myself, I really need hyphenation.
I need dictionary support more. And I really like that the reader program does not try to justify the text if it is not possible to do it in a readable way. Yes, you get some lines that are not justified but that is much better than the alternative. So i think it works reading without hyphenation.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:38 PM   #11
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I need dictionary support more. And I really like that the reader program does not try to justify the text if it is not possible to do it in a readable way. Yes, you get some lines that are not justified but that is much better than the alternative. So i think it works reading without hyphenation.
Yeah, I agree. If you can't have hyphenation, it's much better if the reader does not justify the text on every line. But what we really need is hyphenation, ON the reader itself. This way you can use a reflowable format AND get a nice looking justified text.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 03:58 PM   #12
leeloo
multipass
leeloo began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
But what we really need is hyphenation, ON the reader itself. This way you can use a reflowable format AND get a nice looking justified text.
I am somewhat amazed that the on-reader display engine doesn't use hyphenation and the TeX line-/para-spacing algos (or something as good or better - and note we don't need /page/-spacing). How many language-specific hyphenation files could we fit into the space of one 'Vitruvian Man' picture?
leeloo is offline   Reply With Quote