Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-20-2012, 07:29 PM   #226
cme
reader
cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Already got a testing device. The EU-version of the PRS-T2 has the same dictionaries as the PRS-T1: New Oxfort American Dictionary, Oxford Dictionary of English, Oxford EN-ES & ES-EN, Oxford-Hachette EN-FR & FR-EN, Collins EN-DE & DE-EN, Collins EN-IT & IT-EN, Van Dale EN-NL & NL-EN

Besides that, I can confirm pssquirrel's observations. The PRS-T2's screen is a little brighter, the text is sharper and the pageturns are faster (even with full page refresh).
cme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:29 PM   #227
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by pssquirrel View Post
Screen: In a side-by-side comparison, the T2 was noticeably whiter and brighter than my T1. The T2 looked bright white while the T1 looked murky gray. Text on the T2 was noticeably sharper. Frankly, I was shocked (and dismayed as far as my T1 is concerned). I didn't think the difference would be so great.

Evernote: This is extremely cool. You can highlight text, write annotations and notes, then upload them to Evernote. From there, you can retrieve them from a Web browser, desktop client or app. It also works in reverse. From your computer or smartphone, you can create notes in Evernote or email notes to your Evernote account; once there, you can download them to your T2. Apparently, you can also clip Web articles using Evernote, then download them to your T2 for reading, but we didn't test this out.
These two sound interesting. Is the screen difference really that noticable? That's almost dismaying .

I don't suppose you can find out which version of Android it's running? It's not visible in the standard "Settings" -> "About" -> "Device Information" on a T1. I ask mainly because of Calibre Companion which needs Android 2.3 or later.
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2012, 08:33 PM   #228
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkophilus View Post
Is the screen difference really that noticable? That's almost dismaying .
Yes and yes. When I put them side-by-side, my T1 looked true gray, whereas the T2 looked off-white.

Quote:
I don't suppose you can find out which version of Android it's running? It's not visible in the standard "Settings" -> "About" -> "Device Information" on a T1. I ask mainly because of Calibre Companion which needs Android 2.3 or later.
I have no idea where to even start to look for the Android version. But if you tell me, I can try to find out.
pssquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:47 PM   #229
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2x Sony PRS-350; PRS-300 (†), Paperwhite (†), Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by susaz View Post
I´ve never seen a rubberized finish come off. The worst ofender is creamy or greasy hands so avoid eating while holding the reader.

Believe me, I make rubber products for a living for the past 30 years.
Hi

Don't be angry with me -I do not intend to criticize the things you're living from.
But in my case I have no great experiences with rubberized products (and I own a couple of them). Sometimes the rubber cames down in small sheets or the rubber simple has been removed my erosion. The latter is the case on my silver PRS350. Especially corners and edges are now without the rubber coating, the former silver is now white plastic without rubber coating.

Compare it with the Kindle. The plastic frame is matt finished without coating - a very long lasting solution (and I guess an even cheaper one).
Analogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:05 PM   #230
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
Quote:
I have no idea where to even start to look for the Android version. But if you tell me, I can try to find out.
I've had a good look around on my T1, and can't find anything that shows the Android version unfortunately from the default home screen. Quite easy if you've rooted the T2 already .

Cheers,
Simon.
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2012, 10:47 PM   #231
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I haven't even rooted my T1, and I'm sure my friend won't let me mess with her new T2's firmware since she's even more root/flash-phobic than I am (though she did let me add Kolenka's Last Opened Hack after I swore to her it was totally reversible).
Old 08-21-2012, 02:30 AM   #232
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Hi pssquirrel Great notes on the new T2 thank you. I was wondering if you played much with the browser? I found my the browser experience on my mums T1 to be quite woeful regularly locking up when trying to use the Kobo store & other sites, it improved slightly after a software upgrade but is still not the best. I would hope that this is one feature that the T2 may have improved on
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:25 AM   #233
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by susaz View Post
I´ve never seen a rubberized finish come off. The worst ofender is creamy or greasy hands so avoid eating while holding the reader.

Believe me, I make rubber products for a living for the past 30 years.
Wasn't there a big problem with those Astak models when they came out? The rubberized finish kept peeling off, starting at the corner?
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:30 AM   #234
trocchietto
Addict
trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 650 ,T2, samsung 7.7, ipad2, ipad mini2, yotaphone2, galax tab s2
Quote:
LOL! The T2 is definitely not a must-have if you already own a T1. And to be honest, I stopped by the Sony Store out of curiosity, not to buy. I did the same thing when the Nook Glow came out. I wasn't thinking about replacing my T1 -- I just like looking at ereaders. But now I have T2-fever and I don't know if there's an antidote short of buying one. Doh!
the T2 is not worthy also if you have a prs 650 as me(I do not need wifi, to use internet without a dictionary, as I have a 3 g phone).
who was the guy that was saying that we are in the age of the technology?
Sony Corporation a color android plz, there is not profitability in waiting the competitors will do..I reckon T2 will be a flop, also if it has a steve job design who said that mirasol was not good? I would prefer thousand of times to every tablet.

Last edited by trocchietto; 08-21-2012 at 04:42 AM.
trocchietto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:01 AM   #235
pssquirrel
ebooknut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogus View Post
... Sometimes the rubber cames down in small sheets or the rubber simple has been removed my erosion. The latter is the case on my silver PRS350 ... Compare it with the Kindle. The plastic frame is matt finished without coating - a very long lasting solution ...
I should point out that I have no idea what the finish is on the T2, so please let's not assume it's rubber based on anything I've said. All I know is that it's matte and it has a nice, soft texture to the touch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melmac View Post
I was wondering if you played much with the browser? I found my the browser experience on my mums T1 to be quite woeful regularly locking up when trying to use the Kobo store & other sites, it improved slightly after a software upgrade but is still not the best. I would hope that this is one feature that the T2 may have improved on
We didn't play much with the browser as we were mostly interested in the reader. But it did seem faster and more responsive with less flashing, so I think there have definitely been some upgrades. Just not sure how big the upgrades are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trocchietto View Post
the T2 is not worthy also if you have a prs 650 as me ...
I think worthiness depends on personal needs and preferences. For me, the T1 was definitely a worthy upgrade from a 350, but for others the 350 is better. And while I don't think the T2 is a must-have upgrade from the T1, it's certainly a nice-to-have -- especially the whiter, sharper screen. To each his or her own
Old 08-21-2012, 11:16 AM   #236
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
If / when T2 is rooted then I will probably buy it if the screen is really that better.
But T1 is good enough already, and when reading outside (which is more fun anyway) - just amazing.
Besides, I am currently probably more interested in Wexler Flex One with the LG screen which, I hear, also has better contrast compared to T1 and is unbreakable and weighs 111g. And the absence of touch screen is an advantage to me.
I am resigned to the fact that it may not be hacked and does not even have a card slot.
But its advantages may be worth the sacrifice.

However, why buy unrooted T2 when you can have all the freedom of rooted T1?
On T1 I am using CR3 all the time. Also GoldenDict.
Besides, I don't want to be stuck with something I don't like or something missing - like the possibility to set the sizes of margins, install my own fonts and dictionaries, use my own folder structure for books, etc. And to have support for more book formats: epub, fb2 and txt - of course, most needed, but where are html, rtf, doc and mobi at the very least?

I just wish Sony released their readers already pre-rooted. Don't they want to sell more of them?
Because there are other makes, with CR3 already pre-installed and they will catch up with the screen quality eventually.

Last edited by parkher; 08-21-2012 at 11:26 AM.
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:56 AM   #237
trocchietto
Addict
trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 650 ,T2, samsung 7.7, ipad2, ipad mini2, yotaphone2, galax tab s2
Quote:

I think worthiness depends on personal needs and preferences. For me, the T1 was definitely a worthy upgrade from a 350, but for others the 350 is better. And while I don't think the T2 is a must-have upgrade from the T1, it's certainly a nice-to-have -- especially the whiter, sharper screen. To each his or her own
well,
I love sony also if I criticize them. if the screen is whiter... well... we will see the price as my 650 as a little scratch on the screen.. but i will wait for the first video before to decide.. and I expect a nice rooting, also because I can reckon will be go out also a nice firmware for the T1 that will make really similar to the T2, anyway please implement this mirasol
trocchietto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:18 PM   #238
feenix1363
Lost and clueless
feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Glo, Kindle for Andriod, Kobo for Android
I just got the email so jumped over to Sony's site to look at the 'new' reader and was shocked to see that not only does it appear to be very similar to the T1, it seemed to me the only difference was the social media intigration. Then I looked closer and saw that it doesn't mention MP3 playback at all?

I don't use the MP3 player myself, but it seems a backward step to remove it from device completely imho. That just makes the 'new' device a step back from the 'old' model.
feenix1363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:40 PM   #239
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
I just received my T2 today, and a couple notes:

- psquirrel's comments about the screen are spot on. The partial refresh and general screen quality are the best I've seen to date. I've yet to see signs of ghosting at all. Impressive.
- Firmware supports Reader Store notifications (periodical delivery?).
- Firmware supports syncing last page read, bookmarks and highlights like the 950 does (about time).
- Calibre is already detecting it with the T1 driver (woo, looks like no work for me).

I'll need to find my old SQLite hack for the recently added list and apply it to this guy as well.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:31 PM   #240
300com
Zealot
300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
I just received my T2 today...
which version did you get?
300com is offline   Reply With Quote