Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-11-2012, 01:47 PM   #436
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
And apparently it costs $152 to build:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/goo...ows-2012-07-11
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:56 PM   #437
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Quote:
I prefer the Nexus 7 to 7-inch models from Google partners like Samsung, whose comparable product costs $250.

The new Google tablet doesn’t have all the features of the iPad. For instance, it lacks a cellular connectivity option, a rear camera and the iPad’s dazzling screen resolution. Its base model has half the memory of the iPad’s. It offers fewer content choices — music, movies, TV shows — than either the Apple or Amazon devices do. It also has very few apps designed for a tablet, as opposed to a phone, while the iPad boasts over 200,000 apps for tablet use. And its screen area is less than half the size of the iPad’s.

But Google’s tablet is a better choice than the iPad for people on a budget; for those who prefer a lighter, more compact tablet that’s easier to carry and operate with one hand; and for those who prefer Google’s ecosystem of apps, services and content to Apple’s.

Despite some drawbacks, I found it a pleasure to use.
http://allthingsd.com/?p=228951&ak_action=printable
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2012, 02:01 PM   #438
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
And apparently it costs $152 to build:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/goo...ows-2012-07-11
Wow, that's cheap.

Quote:
The analysis, released Wednesday by IHS, suggests Google’s cost for its new tablets, priced at $199 each, is about $18 higher than the estimated bill-of-materials of the rival Kindle Fire tablet from Amazon.com Inc.
That places the Fire at around $134 to build. When Fire 2 is released ($199), the Fire will easily drop to $149; or possibly down to $125~139. Amazon can take the hit to get people into its ecosystem. The Fire is still a capable tablet for the average person and would still be a big seller at a lower price.

How about a $99 Fire or a $149 Fire 2 with an Amazon Prime membership?

How about a $49 Fire or a $99 Fire 2 with an Audible membership?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:05 PM   #439
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
When Fire 2 is released ($199), the Fire will easily drop to $149; or possibly down to $125~139. Amazon can take the hit to get people into its ecosystem. The Fire is still a capable tablet for the average person and would still be a big seller at a lower price.

How about a $99 Fire or a $149 Fire 2 with an Amazon Prime membership?

How about a $49 Fire or a $99 Fire 2 with an Audible membership?
As long as the screen is more responsive than when it came out: good deal.

Especially for tech inclined who can do this: http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/11/31...e-rom-download

(Would be good with a gps too!)
Old 07-11-2012, 04:49 PM   #440
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm not seeing it on Best Buy's website unless I'm searching using the wrong criteria.

What's more is BB employees are now being mum on this unit. Before I got the "we will be carrying this but we don't know when" and now they are saying it isn't available through us (but I suppose they are right cause if you cannot preorder yet, I suppose it isn't at least for now).

I'm not planning on buying it at Staples or Gamestop BTW.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2012, 05:21 PM   #441
ScotiaBurrell
Banned

It's coming

http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/11/31...wi-fi-hotspots
Old 07-11-2012, 07:27 PM   #442
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Our cable provider wrestled with whether to become a mobile provider. They actually spent lots of money on initial prep for it. They decided to invest in WiFi hotspots instead. It is being trialed in several major cities and our smaller city has one downtown, conveniently close to my office.

Anyone who is a Shaw customer can sign in with their Shaw email address. Right now there is no data charge and it is not subtracted from monthly limits. I am sure that will change.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:00 PM   #443
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Galaxy Note 5.3" or Galaxy Player 5.0"
I have a GPS tablet now and am now waiting for a Note without the cellular cost, or a Player 5.0 with a denser screen.

Still things are better than when I carried a laptop/notebook/net-book with a GPS dongle in the USB port.

My arms just keep getting shorter.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:06 PM   #444
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
I have a GPS tablet now and am now waiting for a Note without the cellular cost, or a Player 5.0 with a denser screen.
You could always buy the Galaxy Note without service ($550).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:15 PM   #445
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
You could always buy the Galaxy Note without service ($550).
You are correct, but I am waiting for Samsung to spin off a Note Touch like Apple spins off a iPod Touch which is essentially the same as the iPhone without the cellular hardware, without the auto-focus, with a slightly different screen for about $300 cheaper.

A Notre 5.3" for less than $300 would be very tempting. Very, very!

A Galaxy Player 5.0" with a 1000 to 1200 pixel screen would be fabulous. It should cost (looking at less than $200 for the Player now) about $225 or so.
I probably would pay another $25 for a AMOLED screen.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:55 PM   #446
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Hopefully they ship tomorrow, not one, but at least two Google reps have said the first wave will ship tomorrow.

Fingers Crossed.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:07 AM   #447
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
You are correct, but I am waiting for Samsung to spin off a Note Touch like Apple spins off a iPod Touch which is essentially the same as the iPhone without the cellular hardware, without the auto-focus, with a slightly different screen for about $300 cheaper.

A Notre 5.3" for less than $300 would be very tempting. Very, very!

A Galaxy Player 5.0" with a 1000 to 1200 pixel screen would be fabulous. It should cost (looking at less than $200 for the Player now) about $225 or so.
I probably would pay another $25 for a AMOLED screen.
Probably wouldn't have a digitizer, either, among other things. I reckon something in the price range you want would be closer to a Galaxy Player with 1280x720 display than it would be to the Note. By the way, the auto-focuus camera is actually quite useful in some apps (e.g. scanning QR codes, bar codes for price check, etc).

I actually dislike AMOLED. Colors are just too vibrant that they don't look natural anymore.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:30 AM   #448
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Anyone got one yet????

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:45 AM   #449
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Anyone got one yet????

Just the folks who did the I/O. Not shipped yet.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:15 PM   #450
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I prefer to deal with a store close to me which Staples and Gamestop are BUT I don't know their return policy and I'm assuming the would be a restocking fee at least with either of them.

Looks like I'll be waiting for the new Kindle Fires unless those retailers offer a liberal return policy like BB. And I find it strange that retailer isn't carrying them from the get go. Maybe there isn't enough in production to stock that retailer initially.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, google, nexus, tablet