Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 03-08-2012, 10:41 AM   #1
sherbearjt08
Connoisseur
sherbearjt08 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
New 7" Kindle Fire 2 (rumors)

Lots of rumors out there today! But no specs and no actual information. I know that I will not be happy just spending $244 for my KF with 1 year ADH warranty, then seeing a new one come out with more memory.

I guess I just need to deal with it and wait a year. My husband thinks I'm nuts as I just got a NC in June 2011 and have just bought a KF.
sherbearjt08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:53 AM   #2
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Look, and not just you, I'm saying this to a lot of the people freaking out about the possibility of Kindle Fire 2 in the next quarter...

The Kindle Fire may be a low-end device, but it is a very powerful device. You know that new Samsung Note? It can't even play some of the games that the Kindle can, even though it has higher specifications... It lags and the Kindle doesn't! Heck, I run a lot of software that is preinstalled for other tablets, like the amazing SuperNote, perfectly fine on the KF. We're talking about the tablets that are $500 in price people!

If you're going to be annoyed with just one little specification change, like a better processor or a SD card slot, please stop buying gadgets all together or learn to live with it. There's nothing worse than the feeling that you must have the most recent and greatest thing out there. There's nothing worse than a school buying 100 new iPad 2 devices for their school to use iBooks Author and then being slapped in the back by getting cheated out with the new Retina models.

New chipsets and components get developed every quarter, they take about two more quarters to get implemented and by that time something brand new has been developed. It's more often than how often they produce new cars.

Forget about the rumors, for they are just rumors. Instead, focus on your wonderful devices that do wonderful things like let you read, browse the internet, and watch video. Maybe it doesn't have 3G or 4G, but at least we aren't the one waiting for a video to buffer, a webpage to load, and a app to download over that kind of connection.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #3
74Cuda
MaxPuppy Rules
74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 8.9 HDX Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire HD, Acer A200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Look, and not just you, I'm saying this to a lot of the people freaking out about the possibility of Kindle Fire 2 in the next quarter...

The Kindle Fire may be a low-end device, but it is a very powerful device. You know that new Samsung Note? It can't even play some of the games that the Kindle can, even though it has higher specifications... It lags and the Kindle doesn't! Heck, I run a lot of software that is preinstalled for other tablets, like the amazing SuperNote, perfectly fine on the KF. We're talking about the tablets that are $500 in price people!

If you're going to be annoyed with just one little specification change, like a better processor or a SD card slot, please stop buying gadgets all together or learn to live with it. There's nothing worse than the feeling that you must have the most recent and greatest thing out there. There's nothing worse than a school buying 100 new iPad 2 devices for their school to use iBooks Author and then being slapped in the back by getting cheated out with the new Retina models.

New chipsets and components get developed every quarter, they take about two more quarters to get implemented and by that time something brand new has been developed. It's more often than how often they produce new cars.

Forget about the rumors, for they are just rumors. Instead, focus on your wonderful devices that do wonderful things like let you read, browse the internet, and watch video. Maybe it doesn't have 3G or 4G, but at least we aren't the one waiting for a video to buffer, a webpage to load, and a app to download over that kind of connection.
I DO like that post.
74Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:55 PM   #4
sherbearjt08
Connoisseur
sherbearjt08 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
Hey, I agree with the post. I was just wondering if anyone had heard anything, as I have the opportunity to return mine within the next 28 days if I so choose.

There is always something better 15 days after you buy anything - phones, computers, printers, ebook readers, insulated cups, pizza toppings......................
sherbearjt08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:34 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

I am not buying into the "larger Fire" rumor mill. Why would Amazon even think about taking on the iPad in that market. No one is going to beat the iPad in their market any time soon.

As far as a 7" KF 2. I'm sure there will be one but I doubt Amazon would do so until next Fall at the earliest. After all, the current KF is reported to have sold 16 million units, and Apple says that about that same number of iPads were sold last quarter as well. So it looks like the KF is doing quite well and really doesn't need a make-over to sell well. Although the KF doesn't compete against the iPad, if the KF sales are truly that close to iPad sales then Amazon is doing something right.

And since it looks like the iPad 7" was just vapor, not that i ever thought otherwise, KF really has no 7" reader competitors of note. The NC and NT might be nice, but they simply are not selling as well as the KF--not even close.
Advert
Old 03-08-2012, 05:05 PM   #6
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
I am holding out for that new personal Holtzman time machine
then I can jump 50 years into the future and get all the latest ,"look I am soo cool!!,"
devices.

Bring them back to the present where I will be ahead of everybody else for at least 50 years.

Last edited by Anabran; 03-08-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:46 PM   #7
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I am not buying into the "larger Fire" rumor mill. Why would Amazon even think about taking on the iPad in that market.
I think there will be a larger Fire. I don't think it needs to compete with anything. More like, "If you want to enjoy Prime and your Fire library of apps and books on a larger screen, here it is!" I might get one. Like my k79, it's just a different way to use my library.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:09 PM   #8
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
When Kindle Fire was only about to be announced last year, they said that there would be a larger Kindle Android tablet in 2012. I do not care much about somewhat better specs and size. What I do want from a new Kindle Fire is improved Kindle software. Search MR for my gripes about Fire's lack of real Kindle freatures.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:42 AM   #9
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by osnova View Post
When Kindle Fire was only about to be announced last year, they said that there would be a larger Kindle Android tablet in 2012. I do not care much about somewhat better specs and size. What I do want from a new Kindle Fire is improved Kindle software. Search MR for my gripes about Fire's lack of real Kindle freatures.
I want better Kindle reading software, too. It is a "Kindle" after all. I always feel like I'm stepping back in time when reading with the Fire.
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:51 AM   #10
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by osnova View Post
That was a rumor back then too. I don't look for a new version until the Fall. One of the big reasons the Fire sold so well was Christmas. Everyone want's a tablet and $200 vs $500 is a big deal to some people especially with a name like Amazon behind it.
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:47 AM   #11
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shack70 View Post
That was a rumor back then too. I don't look for a new version until the Fall. One of the big reasons the Fire sold so well was Christmas. Everyone want's a tablet and $200 vs $500 is a big deal to some people especially with a name like Amazon behind it.
Christmas time release was a timing thing obviously and amazon had time to answer the b&n announcement about their tablet though realistically they really could not go above $200 anyway given the nt specs and amazon saying they were taking a loss to begin with.

And Jessica, with smartphones especially one best get a higher end device when a contract is involved with a time period specified.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:57 AM   #12
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabran View Post
I am holding out for that new personal Holtzman time machine
then I can jump 50 years into the future and get all the latest ,"look I am soo cool!!,"
devices.

Bring them back to the present where I will be ahead of everybody else for at least 50 years.
Booster Gold, is that you?
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:11 PM   #13
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDaneel54 View Post
I want better Kindle reading software, too. It is a "Kindle" after all. I always feel like I'm stepping back in time when reading with the Fire.
I sent my list of gripes about Kindle Fire's software to Amazon. They told me they "forwarded it to their engineers." I suspect they won't do anything unless a lot of us complain. I am surprised that what is supposed to be the flagship Kindle is worse in its Kindle software than Kindle 2.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:06 AM   #14
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
Hopefully they push some Kindle features like page #s and more formatting options and Text to Speech to the Fire in a future update
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:00 AM   #15
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by salsaguy View Post
and Text to Speech to the Fire in a future update

HI technically the KF can already perform text to speach but you have to paste in/ or enter you text into this app:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...=UTF8&v=glance

I have it and it does work
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote