Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-21-2007, 05:35 PM   #16
kjn24
Enthusiast
kjn24 began at the beginning.

Device: eBookwise
It sounds great, but I'll be very surpised if the Borders near me ('near' being a relative term - it's a little over an hour away), has the reader. It's almost worth a trip this weekend just to substantiate my claim that I really do reside in the middle of no where.
Kathy
kjn24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 06:39 PM   #17
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
The eBook Store from Sony at Borders:
http://ebookstore.sony.com/borders
You can download the Borders version of the eBook library. I haven't checked it thoroughly or bought anything but the only difference seems to be the Borders brand in the title.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2007, 07:17 PM   #18
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Good news indeed
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 08:19 PM   #19
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
The eBook Store from Sony at Borders:
http://ebookstore.sony.com/borders
You can download the Borders version of the eBook library. I haven't checked it thoroughly or bought anything but the only difference seems to be the Borders brand in the title.
Thanks for the link. The program IS a new version (2.1 vs 2.0 available at the main site) but the only change I can see so far is support for "internet partners" in the store (and a small fix for progress display).
To "un-brand" the program, comment out or delete the following line from kconfig.xml:
Code:
<variable name="internetPartner" value="BR"/>
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 10:15 PM   #20
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Just installed it & it looks just like it did when I had 2.0 installed.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2007, 01:02 AM   #21
dlangendorf
dlangendorf began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505
What? You're not allowed in if you did not purchase the Reader at Borders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeker View Post
I just received my reader from Sonystyle. And I just got the email from Borders regarding it's Sony store. BUT apparently it is unable to be accessed unless you have the software that came with the reader purchased only at Borders? Why won't they let me in? I'm a LOYAL Borders customer LOL! And lame
I got my Reader at Fry's. My local Borders had not started carrying them yet. Does this mean I can't buy books at the "new" Sony Borders store? I'm only allowed in if I get the Reader at Borders? Am I missing something? What's the deal?
dlangendorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 06:08 AM   #22
geeker
geeker began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
Click the links above. It's there but

the icon that takes you to the store proper is "missing". I'm a little bit sad that I receive my DRS one day and hear about this the next. Plus with Borders you get a $50 credit in addition to the 100 Classics. Kind of cancels out my luck in getting a discount. Oh well, I wanted the dark blue and my Borders only had silver.
geeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 09:40 AM   #23
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
The "store proper" is accessed by the eBook library software. It's the Sony eBook store.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 10:20 AM   #24
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
I think these are the salient points:
  • A new, major player officially entering the fray
I would be much more thrilled if the deal were with Barnes & Noble, which is profitable, rather than with Borders Group, which is struggling to stay alive. Borders is a rapidly failing chain and I fear that Sony has made yet another misstep.

What I am waiting to see is what B&N does in regards to the e-book market. B&N, unlike Borders, has its own publishing arm and imprint. Granted that so far the publishing group has limited itself to public domain works, but the publishing group is now highly profitable and has come a long way in terms of quality of product and who knows where B&N ultimately plans to go.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 01:06 PM   #25
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlangendorf View Post
I got my Reader at Fry's. My local Borders had not started carrying them yet. Does this mean I can't buy books at the "new" Sony Borders store? I'm only allowed in if I get the Reader at Borders? Am I missing something? What's the deal?
At this point it doesn't matter, both "stores" are the same right now (& have been since at least October). The Borders one just has Borders branding to it. What will happen later? Who knows.
Old 12-22-2007, 02:08 PM   #26
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
So I bought my Reader at Borders back in November. Does this mean that I don't get access to the site, since I bought my reader before it went live, even though I did get it at Borders? Or can I somehow get the promo code now?
My Connect software has always been Borders branded. I can't check it out right now, since I don't have access to Windows here, will see if anything's different on Monday.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 02:48 PM   #27
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Kezza, mine too has always been Borders branded (since October). I've loaded the 2.1 version software & everything appears to be exactly the same.

Last I heard the actual deal with Amazon doesn't end until the 31st, so until after the first of the year, at the very least, I think it's much to do about nothing.
Old 12-22-2007, 03:45 PM   #28
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
What I am waiting to see is what B&N does in regards to the e-book market.
You'll most likely have a long wait. I doubt very much that they will try to reenter the e-book space until it's an established, proven industry segment.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 06:55 PM   #29
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I was in a Borders for a few minutes today where I finally got to see the new PRS-505. I really wanted to buy one then and there. Sadly, I can't justify it since my 500 is only five months old and works well. But it was pretty attractive in many respects and I think pbook readers who get to see it work in the store will be impressed. I was also pleased that the salesperson nearby who offered to help me was pretty knowledgable. They were also sold out. I think this is all good news.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 10:17 AM   #30
AMacD
Al
AMacD doesn't litterAMacD doesn't litter

Location: Bardstown, KY as home base, but RV following the seasons.
Device: Kindle1 and Kindle2 and Palm T|X
I was living near Spokane, WA last year when I wanted to see and feel a Sony Reader. There were none in Spokane and there were none in Coeur d'Alene, ID. Each store would have been happy to order one for me, but they were not willing to have a display model. I got the impression that neither Borders nor Sony were very interested in marketing this device. When the Kindle came out I got one, sight unseen. At least it works with a Mac.
AMacD is offline   Reply With Quote