Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-13-2012, 07:16 AM   #91
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Oh gosh, a long time ago something from Gutenberg on a clunky 286, running dos whatever, around 1990. Yes, I know there were better computers around, and windows three, but that was what I could afford. And a realllllllly slow modem on dialup. I don't think it was via t'internet, even, may even have been given to me on a floppy. I first had internet in 1991 in the wilds of rural france, one of the first fifty to subscribe to a brand new local isp (who are still in business today, still local) we used to get charged by the minute, in addition to the cost of the phone call. Seems like the dark ages now. Just got rid of my expensive satellite provider, wimax has reached our communications black hole, though we will never have adsl. Anyone want a large satellite dish?
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:46 AM   #92
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperclassique View Post
Oh gosh, a long time ago something from Gutenberg on a clunky 286, running dos whatever, around 1990. Yes, I know there were better computers around, and windows three, but that was what I could afford. And a realllllllly slow modem on dialup. I don't think it was via t'internet, even, may even have been given to me on a floppy. I first had internet in 1991 in the wilds of rural france, one of the first fifty to subscribe to a brand new local isp (who are still in business today, still local) we used to get charged by the minute, in addition to the cost of the phone call. Seems like the dark ages now. Just got rid of my expensive satellite provider, wimax has reached our communications black hole, though we will never have adsl. Anyone want a large satellite dish?

Might as well have it. My cat currently doesn't have any place to sleep.
AlexGrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2012, 04:40 PM   #93
VeggieCat
Bacon Enthusiast
VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10, Kindle Voyage, iPod Nano 7th gen (for audiobooks)
I read Pride and Prejudice on a Palm TX. Now, years later, the mere thought of reading on anything other than an e-ink device makes my eyes go .
VeggieCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:52 AM   #94
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I have no idea what the book was (though it was likely a PD classic) but my 1st ebook device was a Franklin ebookman that I bought through Ebay (brand new in its original packaging). It used the old LCD display and batteries lasted (at most) 4 hrs before needing to be replaced.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:57 AM   #95
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
For me my first proper read was "Pawn of Prophecy" by David Eddings using FBReader on my Nokia N800.

I had though been collecting ebooks for many years awaiting a device that I could comfortably use.

Before that it was the Bible on a website using my Windows 95 PC using IE3.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2012, 02:21 PM   #96
Harry_Y
Addict
Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DX, Galaxy Tab 2
I may need to revise mine to reading a
back in the 80's on a Commodore 64.
Harry_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:58 AM   #97
stop__dreaming
Addict
stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
'The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin' on my, now, Kindle Keyboard over Christmas 2010/11.
stop__dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:13 AM   #98
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
On basilisk station from david weber on stanza with my ipod touch!
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:35 AM   #99
nursedude
Zealot
nursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kobo (Original), KT, iPad 1, iPhone 4S, iPad 3rd gen
I can't remember the title but I think it was a Heinlein short story in .lit format on my Dell Axim.
nursedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:29 AM   #100
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
The first e-book I started was The Bible on a Dell Axim, but it wasn't the first book I finished. I know that the first e-book I ever bought was "The Book of Counted Sorrows" by Dean Koontz.
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:18 AM   #101
Clytie
Bookworm
Clytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it is

Device: iPad2
Blast from the past

Hmm... setting aside books read on terminal/desktop/laptop screens (I've been involved with computing since punchcards, so I'm another "oldie"), I read my first ebooks on a Handspring Visor Prism. I loved that device!

My first titles-read were PG and BlackMask, but my first commercial titles were Star Trek TOS ebooks purchased from the Adobe Ebook Store (anyone remember that?).

Of course, those ebooks don't open anymore, despite me keeping the same Adobe account. *fumes quietly*

Another poster's mention of interactive CDs reminds me of my 2-year-old daughter in 1993, having a wonderful time with Living Books. They are still one of her favourite memories.
Clytie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:51 AM   #102
YukiOnna
YukiOnna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YukiOnna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YukiOnna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YukiOnna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YukiOnna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YukiOnna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YukiOnna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YukiOnna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YukiOnna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YukiOnna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YukiOnna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
The Picture Of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde, on my Kindle Keyboard.
YukiOnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:01 AM   #103
Tom Swift
Addict
Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (plus lots of older devices)
Don't remember the book but it would have been on my Palm Pilot. My first handheld.
Tom Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:10 PM   #104
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
My first was Curse of Chalion on my dad's old K2 that he gifted me with when he upgraded to a K3.

(ETA: actually, that was the first book I purchased. I don't recall the first book - it was probably one of my dad's that he had, to see if I liked using the kindle. It was love at first page-turn for me!)

Last edited by BeccaPrice; 11-04-2012 at 04:11 PM. Reason: an afterthought
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:26 PM   #105
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
My first ebook was an unknown sci fi that I read back in 1984. Something from Guttenberg Project.

My first e-reader book was The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes followed by Pride and Prejudice.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote