Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-23-2012, 08:42 AM   #1
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Library in the Cloud

I have a Calibre Library that covers a Kindle, a Sony T-1 and a Sony PRS-350. So there are a few books in it. In order to limit what i have on my Readers and to be able to access my library without being home I want to move it to the Cloud (Box.com to be more precise). I have copied my Calibre-library folder to Box.com and I have mapped that address to a virtual drive in Windows, so it now shows up in Explorer. I have then used Calibre's Library Management tool to accept the new Library (in the Cloud) as my main library. Every action now takes more time, but that is countered by the convenience of knowing I have easy access to it.

However, the Readers use, as you all know, different file formats. Is there some way I can convert on the fly if that need should appear? Say that I'm not home with my computer, but I'm on the road with my ASUS Transformer or only my HTC Desire (both Android), is there some app that will allow me to pick an epub book from my library and open it in my Kindle? Assuming I for some reason have only brought my Kindle along.

To take this a little step further, would it be possible to bookmark the last page I read in the Kindle, and then when I come home and want to continue in a Sony Reader to pick up where I left?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:18 AM   #2
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
Calibre has a web server built it, turn it on and access calibre through a we browser. You can convert on the fly then.
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2012, 09:59 AM   #3
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you. I know about the built in web server. This would require me to keep my computer on at all times. The reason i wanted to move the Library to the Cloud is so that I don't have to worry about the computer being on or not. Hence, i should be able to connect with my Library regardelss of the status of my computer.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:07 AM   #4
LuvReadin
Addict
LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and Cool-ER
I doubt that the first one would be possible - conversion isn't a particularly easy process, and it seems to me it would be beyond the computing capability of a phone.

I don't think the second one would be possible either, because it's the device that decides where you leave off, not your library. If I open a book in Calibre on my PC, read a few pages, and then open it a bit later on the same PC, it doesn't open where I left off.
LuvReadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:24 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Thank you. I know about the built in web server. This would require me to keep my computer on at all times. The reason i wanted to move the Library to the Cloud is so that I don't have to worry about the computer being on or not. Hence, i should be able to connect with my Library regardelss of the status of my computer.
In the Cloud, they are just a stack of books without the Calibre front end being available.
No selection tools,no conversion tools. just files.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2012, 11:24 AM   #6
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
In the Cloud, they are just a stack of books without the Calibre front end being available.
No selection tools,no conversion tools. just files.
I read somewhere that there wa a Calibre App (maybe only iPhone, I don't know) so i was hoping to learn more about the possibilities for Calibre and the Cloud. I think it would be fantastic if you could have your books available anywhere, anytime on any device you choose. Reader Freedom. I'd even support an ammendment to the Constitution.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:33 PM   #7
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I'll be honest -the "reader freedom" idea holds no interest to me personally. I don't want to read on my phone, any more than I want to read on my tablet (unless it is a PDF/magazine in which case I will *only* read it on my tablet). Each device has a purpose and its strengths. If I want to read, I take my Kindle. If I am in doubt about an opportunity to read, I take my Kindle. If I know I definitely won't have an opportunity to read - I probably still take my Kindle. The phone gets left behind more than my Kindle! The tablets for me are big fragile toys - nice for a bit of casual web browsing, magazine reading or streaming TV/video, but not for serious ebook reading with the issues of screen glare, battery life, comfort, etc. So for me personally there is never a desire to be reading the same book on a different device.

Anyways, back on topic. If your concern is not having a PC on all the time, why not get a small device that you can run Content Server on so you do leave it turned on? It doesn't have to be expensive - I presume you could even use a Raspberry Pi for this purpose if you want something super cheap. It won't solve the transcoding problem (since content server is read-only, won't do conversions on the fly) but it would give an awful lot nicer UI and be far more accessible than Dropbox (which is blocked by many places as a security risk).
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:04 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can use the auto add feature for auto conversion. Share a folder via dropbox, have calibre watch that folder, any files you add to it will be automatically added to calibre and converted to your calibre output format if they are in a different format.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:30 PM   #9
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Thanx. Now, if there was an Android app to integrate the whole process with my other devices...
Old 04-23-2012, 03:53 PM   #10
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
Just found this, it may help: http://calibre2opds.com/
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote