Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-27-2012, 10:06 PM   #1
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Amazon tipped to launch three new Kindle tablets in 2012

Do you believe the rumors? ... here is the link ...

http://thenextweb.com/mobile/2012/03...m=tnw.to_1Do2q

If true, the article says Amazon will release two 7 inches model (different resolutions ) and another and new 8.9 inches Kindle.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:35 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
The Google tablet should trump Amazon's 7" models.
  • Amazon: locked down, no card slot
  • Google: unlocked, with card slot
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2012, 10:49 PM   #3
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I hope these rumors aren't true. If they are, color me unimpressed. The cheapest and mid-line versions would just be competing against themselves. One means of getting production costs down is to produce high quantities, so it makes no sense to me to have two devices in the same size range. Similarly, the 8.9" size is still too small. I don't know what Amazon is thinking.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:54 PM   #4
MV64
Addict
MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
We're hitting a saturation point. The models are become more and more similar each year, and now they're increasing the amount of models each year? I wish we could go back to the days of one quality upgrade model every year or two instead of this constant slight upgrading every few months.
MV64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:07 PM   #5
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
From a pure ereader point of view, none of those are huge advantages.

No card slot is not a problem with Amazon cloud. And I doubt Google's online store surpasses Amazon in titles.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2012, 12:29 AM   #6
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV64 View Post
We're hitting a saturation point. The models are become more and more similar each year, and now they're increasing the amount of models each year? I wish we could go back to the days of one quality upgrade model every year or two instead of this constant slight upgrading every few months.
We are a good way off from the saturation point.
These will become as ubiquitous as cell phones.
Still plenty of room.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:54 AM   #7
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 + Asus Transformer
For me, no micro SD card means no purchase. Too bad, because an affordable 8.9 tablet with a 1,920-by-1,200 display would be pretty cool. Still, its early days, cross my fingers and hope for the best.
VaporPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:05 AM   #8
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
*yawn*
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:21 AM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
No card slot is not a problem with Amazon cloud. And I doubt Google's online store surpasses Amazon in titles.
No card slot is a huge deal when traveling and wifi is unavailable.

Online stores are irrelevant for unlocked Android tablets, because they have access to both ecosystems. Not only does my Galaxy Player have access to Google's ecosystem, it also has access to Amazon's ecosystem.

Amazon loses on both of these points.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:27 AM   #10
pastanley
Zealot
pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 4, Kindle fire HD 10
Oh please stop it with the rumors. Apple is coming out =with the 7.8 inch ipad too- yea we been hearing that for 2 years now.
pastanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:01 AM   #11
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
The latest google phone does not have a card slot so their are no guarantees that the tablet would have them
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:18 AM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
The latest google phone does not have a card slot so their are no guarantees that the tablet would have them
True; in which case, it's a no-go. I don't have a problem not purchasing items that don't have basic functions; and a card slot is a must have.

That said, I do own a 6.4GB iPod touch 4 and it doesn't have a card slot. Because of that and other missing features, I don't consider it to be a viable choice for use as a pocket tablet. Instead, it's strictly a stay-at-home device that lives in a speaker dock and functions as my music system playing internet radio and audiobooks. For that purpose, I think it's the best device on the market because it was cheap (I paid $145), and also because inexpensive third party accessories are readily available.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:41 AM   #13
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
I flew from Boston to Ft. Worth last month. I copied four movies to my Fire for the trip. That was plenty. At the same time, 32 or 64g would not be big enough to carry my movie/music library. Fits in my pocket, durable screen, plays movies, reads books, and has plenty of apps/games are still the features that mean the most to me.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:54 AM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

A 6GB Fire without wifi can't hold enough videos to last a one week vacation.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:05 AM   #15
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
A 6GB Fire without wifi can't hold enough videos to last a one week vacation.
A 128GB one couldn't hold enough, unless you use compression.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote