Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: When I buy a new ereader device I expect to get updates...
never - it should work when I buy it and have all the features I need 6 6.12%
for ever - they should keep on fixing bugs and providing new features 18 18.37%
for a limited time - eventually I'll have to buy a new model 26 26.53%
bugs fixes for ever, new features for a limited time 43 43.88%
other 5 5.10%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-13-2012, 08:57 AM   #1
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Question Firmware Updates

What do you expect from ereader firmware updates? and for how long after you purchase?
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:03 AM   #2
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I hope for the best and expect the worst.

I hope that I will get constant improvement, quick fixes, and value added functionality to keep my device relevant, functional, and competitive for a very long time.

I expect the company will fold, or drop support entirely the moment I purchase, so I try to buy stuff that already does what it's supposed to do, and I buy from places with a good return policy, in case my 'expectations' prove near literally true.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2012, 10:50 AM   #3
OddCosine
Connoisseur
OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I chose limited time. It's vague, but forever is a long time and at some point development resources need to move on.

That said, as long as there's a reason to believe that a significant number of people are still using the device, I'd expect critical issues to be addressed. For example, a few years back when the rules for Daylight Saving Time changed, I'd want to see an update for any semi-current device that used the DST logic.

But, as ApK said, best to expect the worst.
OddCosine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:01 AM   #4
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddCosine View Post
For example, a few years back when the rules for Daylight Saving Time changed, I'd want to see an update for any semi-current device that used the DST logic.
Seriously, what's up with that? I understand my $20, non-upgradable alarm clock is out of luck with this, but geesh, our server-based IP phone system in my office still has the wrong time, and our admin says we'll just have to wait for April for it to change.

I wish we'd just stick to standard time, personally. If a company wants more daylight business hours, just change their own office hours for goodness sake.
I know.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:43 PM   #5
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
I don't reckon with any updates. When they come they might be a nice bonus, but on the other hand, I haven't paid for them...
Bug fixing is a whole other thing, as I have - this time - paid for a working product.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2012, 04:59 PM   #6
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I'd fall somewhere between "never" and "bug fixes forever." If a bug arises that doesn't impede on my reading, I couldn't care less on it getting fixed. I don't really have much need on an eReader for features other than reading, so updating with new features doesn't appeal much to me. If I want a bunch of features, I'll get (another) tablet thing.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:02 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I never EVER buy a device with the expectation that it will do more in the future than it does when I buy it. If it does, that's a nice bonus. I do expect reasonably timely bug fixes; something that's put me off more than one reader manufacturer who's failed to fix horrible bugs (Pocketbook are perhaps the worst culprits in my personal experience).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:08 PM   #8
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I never EVER buy a device with the expectation that it will do more in the future than it does when I buy it. If it does, that's a nice bonus. I do expect reasonably timely bug fixes
This mirrors my thoughts as well.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:30 PM   #9
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I like an e-reader to work as advertised out of the box. So I voted for option 1. I don't pay full price to be a guinea pig or "test driver".

I gave my Kobo Touch to my husband because I got so tired of the constant changes of "what it does" and features, and where to find what on the menus. All within the 6 months I owned it.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:35 PM   #10
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
I expect prompt bug fixes and hope for performance tweaks and new or improved functions. Whenever I buy a new gadget/device (which isn't often any more) I also check user forums first, to see if bugs and other problems appear to be handled in a timely fashion.

That said, it's a long time since I was an early adopter in any area. These days I prefer to let other people take the risks and deal with the inevitable bugs, breakdowns and such. Only after six or more months and after initial bugs and problems have been ironed out entirely, will I seriously think of buying.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:15 PM   #11
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Overall, bug fixes for ever and I rarely want new features.

Forever is defined as 5 years, in my opinion, and bug fixes include adapting to new versions of the standards it supports. (For example: I don't want my device to turn into a brick because everyone shifts over to a new version of ePub.)

I'll gladly lobby for the new features that I want, since free upgrades are always welcome. I simply don't expect new features because it is a bit much to ask for.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:26 PM   #12
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Interesting side-question is whether a new format is a new feature? When KF8 and epub3 become more widespread do you expect/hope to receive update to support it?

Also looking at it from a device manufacturer's point of view - they may prefer you to upgrade to get a new feature even if it's technically possible to provide a firmware update for existing users. Alternatively they may want to update you to push some new service for example.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:43 AM   #13
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
I chose bug fixes for ever, but I don't really believe it should be forever but certainly for as long as the product is on sale.

Once the product is no longer on sale, then the only thing I'd expect fixes for is a major major bug which hopefully by then doesn't exist. The odd, this paragraph in this particular book renders without a flush margin kind of bugs I'll live with.

Even then I accept that at some point support has to end completely. If they manage to provide the odd fix for major bugs for a few years after the product is no longer sold, that's good enough for me. Chances are any product that still needed a lot of fixes by that point would have been sold/returned long before
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:01 AM   #14
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
I'd prefer for them to be tested before release so they don't need bug fixes.

One of the main reasons most of my readers are by sony (Might not have all the latest bells & whistles, but at least the d@mn things work out of the box), of course, saying that I've got PRS+ installed on them so go figure
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:03 AM   #15
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
I just don't like firmware updates. When I got my Kindle 3, they had a new update, which basically broke it (caused slow page turns in sunlight/warm weather. Don't ask me how).

The next update fixed the problem and I've left it there since, despite several further updates. Including taking away locations from the bottom of the screen, which I like.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote