Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-07-2012, 11:06 AM   #16
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
My Galaxy Player now has an Amazon eco-system and a Google eco-system. Will I use them? Only to get the free stuff. The only content I pay for is Netflix; and that's primarily watched on my desktop.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:55 PM   #17
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
In Germany you can only get apps trough the shop. No books or music.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2012, 04:19 PM   #18
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
They should use the "g" bit:

gBooks, gMaps, gMail, gMovies, gMusic...
Do we really need another lawsuit? Lol.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:23 PM   #19
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
I don't mind a google "something" store. & I agree that an android market is not the right path anymore as google has a lot more services. Just like i think itunes could sue a better name because they sell more than "tunes" on there, but that naming convention may be so stuck in pur minds that its hard to do. Google play sounds like a gaming store. It's automatically what I thought of when I first heard it. Here's a novel idea "google market". What's wrong with that? Google just seems all over the place sometimes too me. It's like windows now, no departments talk too each other much, they each do their own thing it seems.

Last edited by monkeyluis; 03-12-2012 at 04:28 PM.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:28 PM   #20
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyluis View Post
I don't mind a google "something" store. & I agree that an android market is not the right path anymore as google has a lot more services. Google play sounds like a gaming store. It's automatically what I thought of when I first heard it. Here's a novel idea "google market". What's wrong with that?
Same here on Google Play sounding like it's for games. However, I think I'd like the name "Google Bazaar" (mentioned in another thread). Catchy.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2012, 05:33 PM   #21
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Count me as one of the few that likes the name Google Play. Happy to have another store to browse and purchase from.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:25 PM   #22
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I like the name Android Market better than Google Play.
U B 2 So fist eekated.
Google play R 4 Cool peeps.

Google Play project director shown here:

Last edited by Phogg; 03-12-2012 at 06:31 PM.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:09 PM   #23
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
I also associate the word "play" primarily with games. Music and movies I cold sort of see. But books and apps certainly don't come to mind.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:12 PM   #24
calibrated
Zealot
calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire w/Aldiko
As long as it has the books I want, I don't particularly care what they call it.
calibrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:03 PM   #25
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's obvious that Google is prepping its "ecosystem" for its soon to be released tablet. For the unwashed masses, Google Play will go down better than Android Market. Since Google owns Android and the official app store, there won't be any need for jailbreaking.

A stock Android tablet gives you the option to customize your own ecosystem. For my Galaxy Player, I primarily use the following:
  • Apps: Google / Amazon
  • Audiobooks: Audible
  • Books: Kindle / Nook
  • Games: Google / Amazon
  • Magazines: Pulse
  • Music: Pandora
  • News: Pulse
  • Radio: TuneIn Radio
  • Video: Netflix
Old 03-14-2012, 12:18 AM   #26
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Yesterday's specials were:

https://play.google.com/store?hl=en
  • 25¢ ebook "Moneyball."
  • a few $2.99 mystery ebooks.
  • 25¢ album, Guns N' Roses Greatest Hits. Goes into the Google Cloud, and plays with the Google Play Android app, and you can download to your PC (twice, or more if you download the Google Play Music Manager to your PC).
  • various $3.99 albums featuring guitars.
  • 25¢ movie rental (24 hours, must be started within 30 days), "Reservoir Dogs."
  • various 99¢ movie rentals.
  • 25¢ Android app Tunein Radio Pro.
  • various 49¢ Android apps.

Music purchases go into their cloud, and you typically listen to a stream to your Android device or PC. Google Play Music Manager can add all or part of your local music collection into the Google Cloud, and the reverse, can load your purchases from their cloud to your PC. Not sure if movies are handled similarly.

Seems like a big ecosystem push, like others have observed. I couldn't get Google Play Music Manager to install (early, not-sorted-out code?), so can't say if it's an iTunes lookalike, with podcasts and store and ripping/burning and such.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:30 AM   #27
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
Seems like a big ecosystem push, like others have observed. I couldn't get Google Play Music Manager to install (early, not-sorted-out code?), so can't say if it's an iTunes lookalike, with podcasts and store and ripping/burning and such.
I have it installed, but rarely use it. I have no idea how it compares to iTunes, because I only use iTunes to download free apps for my iPod.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:47 AM   #28
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Same here on Google Play sounding like it's for games. However, I think I'd like the name "Google Bazaar" (mentioned in another thread). Catchy.

He he! Can i patent my suggestion and then have a lawsuit? (Lol!)
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:09 AM   #29
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by CazMar View Post
That would give you a nice head start into a profitable career as a patent troll! Obviously you would have to hire me as your consultant...
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:57 AM   #30
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by CazMar View Post
I don't think you can patent it. I think the correct term might be trademark but I'm not sure that'll wash since Google already owns the trademark for "Google"
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote