Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-19-2012, 06:50 PM   #1
HowardBrazee
Zealot
HowardBrazee began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Adding .epub hangs Calibre

I'm running Calibre on OSX Lion. I downloaded http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/62 in both .epub versions and tried to add it several different ways to Calibre.

calibre, version 0.8.37
ERROR: Adding failed: The add books process seems to have hung. Try restarting calibre and adding the books in smaller increments, until you find the problem book.

What's my next step?
HowardBrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:15 PM   #2
ripxrip
ripxrip began at the beginning.

Device: none
As an FYI, I'm running OSX Snow Leopard and the latest 0.8.40 Calibre. I downloaded the .epub with images and had no problem adding it. It opens up with the built in viewer and converts to a .mobi kindle file without a problem.

I know it doesn't help your specific problem, but maybe it narrows down the troubleshooting to just the Lion OS.

Also try the latest version, maybe it will fixes the issue.

later,
rip
ripxrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2012, 11:20 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Reboot your computer and try adding it again.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:19 AM   #4
HowardBrazee
Zealot

I'm using the latest Calibre & OSX, and have shut down my computer and rebooted in my debugging.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:31 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Then it's something specific to your machine. You can get more info by looking in console.app or by running calibre in debug mode (in the preferences menu)
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2012, 10:10 AM   #6
HowardBrazee
Zealot

I'm not finding the debug mode option. (I'm running the OSX version)

Do you have any advice in getting Spotlight to index .epub books in my Calibre library? I did load one codex but it didn't help.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:58 AM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Remember Howard, the Calibre library should be considered a black-box that is only accessed via Calibre itself, so having Spotlight index it to allow you to easily find books outside of Calibre is not really a great idea.

As far as debug mode goes, check the options beside the "Preferences" icon on the Calibre main menu. On Windows, debug mode is Ctrl+Shift+R
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:54 AM   #8
HowardBrazee
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Remember Howard, the Calibre library should be considered a black-box that is only accessed via Calibre itself, so having Spotlight index it to allow you to easily find books outside of Calibre is not really a great idea.
Why shouldn't I be able to read books in the Calibre library with any reader that I choose? I seem to be able to. I want to be able to find which book has a quote I'm looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
As far as debug mode goes, check the options beside the "Preferences" icon on the Calibre main menu. On Windows, debug mode is Ctrl+Shift+R
I see my problem. On OSX, there's always a "preferences" option on the program's main menu of an application. That's where I looked, and I didn't see anything. This time, I found the second "preferences" option on the bar. (The OSX "preferences" opens the "Change Calibre behavior" menu.

I told Calibre to restart in debug mode, and it closed. Several minutes ago. Let me open it and try again. It closed again, but showed up on the dock. I added the .epub, and it hung again. Did debug mode create a log or something?
Old 02-21-2012, 10:04 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardBrazee View Post
Why shouldn't I be able to read books in the Calibre library with any reader that I choose? I seem to be able to. I want to be able to find which book has a quote I'm looking for.
If you want to use an arbitrary reader, consider the Open With plugin to define custom readers.
The reason I used the word 'Arbitrary':
Calibre has a format preference setting already for 'Use Internal Viewer'
If you don't choose the Internal Viewer, Calibre will call the OS handler for that format.

Quote:
I see my problem. On OSX, there's always a "preferences" option on the program's main menu of an application. That's where I looked, and I didn't see anything. This time, I found the second "preferences" option on the bar. (The OSX "preferences" opens the "Change Calibre behavior" menu.
Preferences: Behavior
Set the preferred format Order and preferred viewer to use by format

Quote:
I told Calibre to restart in debug mode, and it closed. Several minutes ago. Let me open it and try again. It closed again, but showed up on the dock. I added the .epub, and it hung again. Did debug mode create a log or something?
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:19 PM   #10
HowardBrazee
Zealot

The other day, I hit the "restart Calibre in debug mode" twice. The first time it just closed. The second time it appeared to close, but I saw it was minimized in the doc. I don't know if it was in debug mode or not, I didn't notice it running any differently.

Today, I have hit that button 5 times in a row, which closed the application 5 times. (and then I opened it manually).

So I haven't figured out how to use debug mode.

So I tried updating Calibre, as I noticed a recent update (as normal). I got locked file errors, and don't know enough to fix them. I logged in as Administrator, and tried updating. Same problem. So I renamed Calibre.app to CalibreX.app, and installed Calibre from scratch, then rebooted to my personal (non-administrator) account. That fixed the problem, I loaded the book. I'll delete CalibreX soon.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:45 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Have you updated Calibre to 0.8.40? Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling if the update is not working? Have you tried booking your computer in safemode and then trying Calibre?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:58 AM   #12
HowardBrazee
Zealot

Upgrading to 0.8.4.0 solved the problem, but I suspect the issue wasn't the version of Calibre. I suspect the issue is my previous upgrade was incomplete, with write protected files.