Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-01-2007, 07:37 PM   #1
nathantw
Zealot
nathantw doesn't litternathantw doesn't litternathantw doesn't litter

Device: 505
Figured out eBook Library lockup

As many of you know there is a dumb bug that's been locking up the eBook Library when you plug in the USB into your PRS-505. I may have found a resolution. I used the computer's My Computer to do this. I moved all the books that are in <my drive letter>:\database\media\books to a folder on my computer. I put the USB back into my Reader and found I was now able to attach to the Library.

I pulled the USB and let the Reader startup. I saw there was something in my Purchased folder on the Reader. When I tried to access it the entire Reader crashed. So there was something in that particular area that was corrupt. I formatted the Reader altogether and then reattached to the Library software via USB and moved all my books back to the reader.

So, give it a try if you're having problems.

Good luck.
nathantw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 09:38 PM   #2
tgharold
Enthusiast
tgharold began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
This worked for me.

The eBook Library software worked fine, until I plugged in my PRS-505. At which point, the library software would freeze. I tried just about every combination (plugging the unit in before starting the software, taking out the SD card, etc).

Finally, I did as suggested and copied my books off to a safe place. Then I went into the reader's setup, advanced, and formatted the internal memory. Now things seem to be working just fine.
tgharold is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2008, 09:42 AM   #3
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I don't know if this will help anyone, but I suspect that the corruption is caused by invoking the "sync" feature for content. I have the Library software on two PC's. The one on which I used "sync" experiences this symptom and now never finishes loading the reader. On the other PC, I've only ever used drag-and-drop to transfer individual files, and it still connects with the Reader just fine.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 03:44 AM   #4
pomlover
pomlover began at the beginning.

This lockup problem is brutal!

Hi all,

I'm suffering badly from the lost bookmarks and history via lockup problem too. Now I'm loathe to read multiple books and to insert multiple bookmarks - a real pain in the ass that should be unacceptable to the SONY brass. I only keep 2 books open now and I physically write down the bookmark page nums before I make the "adventurous" hookup.

I've tried these things:
1) Don't launch the e-book library pc SW, turn the reader on, hookup the USB cable
2) Launch the e-book library pc SW, turn the reader off, hookup the USB cable
3) Launch the e-book library pc SW, turn the reader on, hookup the USB cable

Nada - still have the damn problem. I think the real problem is with the 505 firmware. It should never lose the bookmark/history info even if the e-book library SW locks up.

Next, I'm gonna try disabling the auto-synch feature in the reader. Maybe that's the root cause of the problem. When you hook the two damn things together, if you have e-reader auto-synch turned on, maybe the history/bookmarks get hosed during the protocol exchange dance that the reader and e-book library perform together on startup. By turning that feature off, I think it may make the interface xchange simpler. If the bug is somewhere in the code (on either side) that implements the auto-synch protocol, maybe the buggy SW fragments will be "bypassed". Being a software engineer, I've learned (the hard way multiple times) over the years that most problems in systems (both human and inanimate) manifest themselves at the interface. It's all about the communication - stupid!
pomlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 08:44 PM   #5
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Advice from Sony Tech support

I also finally heard back from Sony's tech support. They seem to confirm what I suspected--that a file in the install has become corrupted. Unfortunately, that file is not removed during an uninstall (and is not overwritten if it's found during a re-install), so they told me to uninstall thusly:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony

To help correct your issue with the eBooks software please follow the
below steps:

Go to Start>Control Panel and open Add/Remove programs. Find and
uninstall/remove "eBook Library by Sony".

Open My Computer.
Go to Tools>Folder Options.
Click View and select “Show hidden files and folders” and click ok

Please delete the following folders as listed below:

For XP
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\kinoma
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Marlin
C:\Documents and Settings\%username%( i.e. you windows log in name)
\Local Settings\Application Data\kinoma
C:\Documents and Settings\your user name\Local Settings\Application
Data\Sony Corporation
C:\Program Files\Sony\eBook Library

For Vista

C:\ProgramData\kinoma
C:\ProgramData\Marlin
C:\Program Files\Sony\eBook Library
C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Sony Corporation
C:\Users\%usernam%\AppData\Local\kinoma

After doing so, reinstall your Connect Reader software from:
http://ebooks.connect.com/downloadclient.html

You might also want to experiment with connecting the reader in
different USB ports.
PLEASE note that this will delete all books in your Library as well. Make sure you have a back-up if you need it! I hope this helps somebody. It worked for me (i.e., I did not ever have to re-format my reader).

Last edited by curtw; 03-03-2008 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Added note that this process will delete your Library
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2008, 12:28 PM   #6
Frejus
Frejus began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader 505
Advice from Sony Tech support

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
I also finally heard back from Sony's tech support. They seem to confirm what I suspected--that a file in the install has become corrupted. Unfortunately, that file is not removed during an uninstall (and is not overwritten if it's found during a re-install), so they told me to uninstall thusly:

I hope this helps somebody. It worked for me (i.e., I did not ever have to re-format my reader).
Thank you very much for sharing this information. I have followed the instructions, and I am pleased to type I can now fully begin to enjoy my reader and its accompanying software.

Last edited by Frejus; 02-14-2008 at 01:02 PM.
Frejus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 02:55 PM   #7
c-not-k
Enthusiast
c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony PRS 650, T3, Nook Color
Thanks Curtw. I had the same problem, and now it's fixed! (Gotta love forums!)
c-not-k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 02:06 PM   #8
wmrawls
Connoisseur
wmrawls began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Dell Axim X50V
Good share. I needed to get this solved as well. Thanks
wmrawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 08:18 PM   #9
scarter
scarter began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire
Someone ought to promote this thread because the information is very useful; it worked for me. Thanks.
scarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 07:55 AM   #10
pomlover
pomlover began at the beginning.

Fixed my lockup prblem

I disabled the "synch" feature in the ebook library SW and my lockup (and more importantly, book mark loss) problem went away.
pomlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:00 AM   #11
distantsmoke
distantsmoke began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505; Kindle 2
Thanks!!

Quote:

PLEASE note that this will delete all books in your Library as well. Make sure you have a back-up if you need it! I hope this helps somebody. It worked for me (i.e., I did not ever have to re-format my reader).

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this is still a problem. I just bought a Sony PRS 505 this past week, (17 Feb 09 to be exact) and will be getting my new Kindle 2 next week.

Anyway, I was able to initially install the Sony eBook Store. But as soon as I downloaded an adobe DRM book, the eBook store crashed.

I contacted Sony to get the usual initial "your an idiot try these simple fixes" email. So I wrote back and let them know in detail what I had done to fix the problem before contacting them.

Then I decided to do a little googling. Thus I found curtw's post. Which solved my problem perfectly. I had been thinking there was a corrupted file that wasn't being deleted with the uninstall.

I know this thread is old, and probably no one cares, but I did want to say Thank You!!
distantsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:52 PM   #12
boydcarts
Connoisseur
boydcarts began at the beginning.

Device: Nook WiFi, iPad2
I needed the info on this thread today as well. My Sony eBook Store software kept lagging and freezing on me yesterday, and today, it wouldn't acknowledge my reader. Thanks to the info on this thread, I was able to fix things in a few minutes.
As it happens, I've been making a migration to Calibre anyway, so this just re-inforces my choice.
boydcarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 01:15 PM   #13
graypattern
graypattern began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader prs 505
Quote:

with huge thanks to curt w for this thoughtful and complete guide to deleting hidden folders . I was totally flummoxed and dreaded going to sony support.
It worked as advertised.
Thanks to Mobile Read and thanks to Curt!
graypattern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:09 PM   #14
p3aul
Captain Courageous
p3aul doesn't litterp3aul doesn't litter

Device: calibre, PRS 505
>>I disabled the "synch" feature in the ebook library SW and my lockup (and more importantly, book mark loss) problem went away. <<

Just how do you disable the sync in Sony ebook library Software? Under "Preferences" all I see is two options: 1. Merge all Notes and 2. Check for updates.
p3aul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:59 AM   #15
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
You will need to connect your reader or insert the memory card to your computer. Under 'Reader', in the left pane of the ebook library software, is the sync option. If you click on it you should get a list of devices you can sync with it. Un-tick all the boxes and this will disable sync. In the ebook library software, 'Help' has illustrations which shows where the sync options are. Hope that helps!
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote