Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-01-2012, 02:48 PM   #1
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Study: As E-Readers Increase, So Does Resistance

Funny I've always felt resistance was stronger from the beginning, but that might have been more the publishers. This article the resistance is more based on users.

Quote:
Among “avid” book buyers—those who purchase 10 or more books per year—e-reader penetration is more pronounced: 22.3 percent of avid book buyers already own an e-reader, and 10.1 percent say they’re “very likely” to buy one in the next 12 months. But 49.7 percent of avid book buyers say they are not at all likely to purchase one. (more...)
My household experience correlates with the story. While all of my household members have methods to read eBooks(nooks,kindle, ipods) they still read paper books. For my children their no. one reason for reading pbooks is the books they want to read are still not offered digitally. That and addition to the schools resistance to accept electronic gadgets--up until recently teachers did not allow kindles/nooks in class.

I guess in my eyes the "resistance" is really lack of convenience and resistance to change.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:39 PM   #2
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
No, the resistance they mean is "I love REAL books and I will always read REAL books." Don't we all know someone who has this attitude?

I think this is why B&N and Amazon will push and expand their tablet offerings: at some point, everyone who would want a dedicated ereader will already have one.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2012, 04:45 PM   #3
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
No, the resistance they mean is "I love REAL books and I will always read REAL books." Don't we all know someone who has this attitude?
I agree. The usual complaint I hear is "I like the feel of paper". I have one friend who will only read hardback books.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:47 PM   #4
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books
Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3(3g), NookColor
They didn't ask me so their study must be wrong

Just curious though, who did they do this study on? Age group? Area? I mean, I could go to class today and do a poll and it would be like, 80% own a ereader and 19% want one, and then 1% doesn't know how to read.

99% of studies are completely made up.
Belle2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:49 PM   #5
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
I disagree somewhat - I am slowing starting to join that resistance. Why? Because I love books. Not ebooks. Not paper books. Books.

And ebooks are getting more restrictive and fragmented every day. I know a lot of people who wont do ebooks because it's just too damn complicated. You have specific vendors, formats and software...ebooks take away the days of "go to vendor A and buy/order book X."

Last year I mostly read ebooks, this year I've not bought a single ebook...but I have purchased 6-8 DTBs. I just don't want to deal with the drama.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2012, 05:16 PM   #6
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
I disagree somewhat - I am slowing starting to join that resistance. Why? Because I love books. Not ebooks. Not paper books. Books.

And ebooks are getting more restrictive and fragmented every day. I know a lot of people who wont do ebooks because it's just too damn complicated. You have specific vendors, formats and software...ebooks take away the days of "go to vendor A and buy/order book X."

Last year I mostly read ebooks, this year I've not bought a single ebook...but I have purchased 6-8 DTBs. I just don't want to deal with the drama.

This may be where many people will eventually go. They buy ereaders, get tired of software issues, hardware issues, prices going every which way etc.

Than eventually just go back to paper books.

A woman I work with who just got an ereader for herself and mom. Was very resistant at first. She likes it but still reads her paper books. Its just cheaper for her to go buy used or in some cases new paperbacks.

I think when the hype dies down, the tide may turn back the other way. I dont think paper books are going anywhere anytime soon.

Bottom line I guess is its going to come down to ease of use and price for many. Those who dont care about spending $100+ for a device to read on and than buy the books will be into the ereaders. Those who dont want to spend money on a device and dont want to deal with the hardware and software issues will always read paper books. Its that simple.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:25 PM   #7
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
It would have been nice if they did a year to year comparison. All we really know is that roughly 50 percent of readers currently are unlikely to buy an ebook reader (I assume they are asking those who don't yet have one... after all, if your ebook reader is only a few months old, you are unlikely to buy a new one in the next year).

All I know is this; ebooks make it easier to get books period. When I need a new book, I can buy it, download it to my computer and install it on my reader and my phone in less than 5 minutes, and I can do it virtually any time I want to, and newer readers, with wi-fi can do it even faster!. And, the books take up the space of my ebook reader.
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:37 PM   #8
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Hm. For me as an expat in a country where books in my language are almost unobtainable there is not much choice than to have an ereader. Or, alternatively I could always have them delivered by post and pay double price.
But I wonder, if I never left where I came from, would I even think of an ereader? Probably not...
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:44 PM   #9
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
What ??

Avid ?

10 books a year ??

Who're they trying to kid..... surely that's dipping a toe in to see if they like it ?

[ Exit mumbling....10 books a year...huh....cheapskates...amateurs.....dumb....d unno what they're talking a bout...rhubarb rhubarb..blah blah.............................
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:47 PM   #10
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:

What you said.

I'm kind of burned out on e-books after less than a year and a half. I'm tired of having to jump through hoops with DRM. I'm tired of not finding the books I want. I'm tired of the fixed prices.

I like physical books. I think an e-reader should be a supplement to physical books, not a device that replaces them. I'm not about to give up my e-reader, but I'm not about to give up buying physical books either.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:55 PM   #11
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
I would love for someone to do a big, comprehensive study that would actually tell us something. I'd bet that for some people, their choice has to do with their preferred genre, where/when they usually read, their average paper book price point, and other things.

I'd also like to know how many of that 49.7% have tried an ereader and how many have not. Similarly, I'd like to know how many people that do use ereaders wanted an ereader before trying one, and how many were resistant until they used one.

Of course, marketing departments are already asking questions like this, but I'd prefer to see the data from a non-corporate-conducted study and besides, those marketing departments don't usually release anything interesting until it's no longer valid, for obvious reasons.

Sorry, I'm just a data junkie. Can't help it. Always want more information!
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:59 PM   #12
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I too wonder what readers they polled. And if 10 books a year is an avid reader then I must be a rabid reader.

Guess I'm not at the point of of not preferring my e-reader (2 years owning one) I much prefer reading off my e-reader. I am getting upset with how the prices are going up though. I will not buy an e-book that costs more than a paper book. And I won't buy the paper book either. The only paper books I have been buying are ones for my book club & only if I can't get it in e-book.

I don't feel I'm jumping through hoops with the DRM, but then I have a Kindle & a Sony so I haven't had a problem. And so far I've pretty much find what I want to read..in fact too much.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:05 PM   #13
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:

There is a lot of truth here. The market is driven by need and convince. While eBooks should be convenient the market has made them a pain to buy. If we are lucky they are available they are riddled with DRM and often just as expensive as real book.

I still purchase eBooks exclusively but for me removing DRM is easy enough and create my eBooks from sites like PG. It's just not a piratical solution for many folks.

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 02-01-2012 at 06:07 PM.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:20 PM   #14
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Verso specializes in advertising for the book industry. I see no particular reason why they would have an axe to grind against ebooks.

The survey is weighted to match US demographics.

They have in fact run this particular survey since at least 2010.

The survey is here: http://www.versoadvertising.com/Wi7survey2012/
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:27 PM   #15
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Verso specializes in advertising for the book industry. I see no particular reason why they would have an axe to grind against ebooks.

The survey is weighted to match US demographics.

They have in fact run this particular survey since at least 2010.

The survey is here: http://www.versoadvertising.com/Wi7survey2012/

Thanks for the link! I'll go through all of it when I get back from Dirty Bingo this evening.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote