Old 02-02-2012, 10:11 AM   #1
Paxman53
Connoisseur
Paxman53 began at the beginning.

Device: 7" Tablet - Aldiko Reader Premium
E-Reader Problem

Hi folks,

I wonder if anyone can help?

I have just got a Jtek X7 Colour E-reader as a gift to replace my old Elonex 511EB.

The Jtek comes loaded with 40 modern Epub books which open fine.

I loaded one of my previous Epubs onto the Jtek. When I tried to open it I got the message (File Format Error).

After trying various things I re-converted on Calibre changing the output setting to tablet - this apparently worked and the file opened on the reader.

I then did some tidying up work on Sigil (e.g. correct spelling mistakes, TOCs etc.) and saved the file re-loading it onto the reader.

Again I got the message (File Format Error), however when I again re-converted using Calibre - reloaded and the file was readable.

To test I re-converted a number of books using the old settings (i.e. generic e-reader) and again the files opened OK, but as soon as I amend any of the files on Sigil and reload - I get the error message.

I had no problems whatsoever with the Elonex - I just reloaded the saved Sigil file overwriting the old one on the device.

Is this a problem with this particular E-reader (or any other) that anyone has come across?

Is there a setting in either Calibre or Sigil that I can change to prevent this?

Any assistance/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Paxman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:18 AM   #2
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
not to be obvious, but what does Flight Crew say about the epubs that are causing the error?
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2012, 10:27 AM   #3
Paxman53
Connoisseur

Hi St Albert,

Not obvious to me (still very much a novice). Do you mean the validation results in Sigil, if so they are blank.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:55 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxman53 View Post
Hi St Albert,

Not obvious to me (still very much a novice). Do you mean the validation results in Sigil, if so they are blank.
Blank or "No Problem" ?
The last is a result.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:46 PM   #5
Paxman53
Connoisseur

Sorry on the one I tested - No Problem
Advert
Old 02-02-2012, 01:13 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sorry on the one I tested - No Problem
Weird. Sigil is fussy about doing EPUB right

Are you adding content to a 'section' within Sigil?
Many readers have a maximum size limit for a single 'section' (not part of the EPUB Spec, so Sigil does not check that limit)
Old 02-02-2012, 05:02 PM   #7
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Also, how about trying the problem epub on other reading platforms, such as Adobe Digital Editions, or the Firefox plugin. Perhaps that may help narrow down whether the problem is the epub or the reader, or something else.
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:43 PM   #8
Paxman53
Connoisseur

Its not just one Epub its all of them (864). They have all worked fine on Adobe and firefox in the past as well as my previous reader.
Since posting I have bulk re-converted them all and at the moment (still loading on) they are now opening fine on the new reader.
I suppose in the future I can live with re-converting after using Sigil I just hoped someone else had come across this problem

Anyway thanks for the support guys.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:05 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Its not just one Epub its all of them (864). They have all worked fine on Adobe and firefox in the past as well as my previous reader.
Since posting I have bulk re-converted them all and at the moment (still loading on) they are now opening fine on the new reader.
I suppose in the future I can live with re-converting after using Sigil I just hoped someone else had come across this problem

Anyway thanks for the support guys.
PC based viewers (ADE) do not have the size problem the reader version does.
Also, you are elusive with the answer "Did that problem book, open successfully on anther reader". Not sometime in the dark past. Now...10 minutes ago

(The dark past, only proves Things used to work (which is also good to know as it helps track down the 'something changed' )
Old 02-03-2012, 02:59 AM   #10
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I have a suspicion that there is something wrong with the Jtek reader. What kind of conversion do you do in Calibre (settings). It would be interesting to see what Calibre actually changes.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:50 AM   #11
Paxman53
Connoisseur

Theducks

Checked a selection of files (backups not the re-converted ones) from oldest through to more recent - all open in Adobe, Firefox and Sony Reader Library.

Toxaris

I use the following in Calibre:

Look & Feel:

Remove spacing from para/Smarten Punctuation/Keep Ligatures/Left Align
+ Extra CSS h2, h3, h4, h5 { text-align: center }

Page Setup

Output Profile - Generic e-ink
Input Profile - Default input profile

Structure Detection

Detect Chapters:
//*[((name()='h2' or name()='h3') and re:test(., 'chapter|book|section|part|0|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9\s+' , 'i')) or @class = 'chapter']

Remove first image - leave blank
Insert metadata - tick box

Insert Page Breaks:

either - //*[re:test(., "Chapter", "i")] or //h:h3 depending on structure of book

Table of Contents

Force use of

Level Toc: 1. //h:h2 2. //h:h3 3. //h:h4

Search & Replace

Usually just CHAPTER / Chapter

Epub Output

Preserve cover image

I have been using these settings for some time now with no problems, so I agree it is probably a Jtek issue, which at the moment I seem to have resolved.

I have reported the problem to Jtek, so will see what they respond with.

Again thanks for your interest Guys.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:26 AM   #12
Paxman53
Connoisseur

Hi Guys,

Last post:

Finally gave up on the Jtek.

Found it also would not show all photographs/illustrations.

It further inserted an unwanted line break after any words shown in italics.

So have returned item for refund.

Am now thinking of either going for the Archos 70b eReader or Oaxis Colour eReader, any thoughts?