Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-30-2007, 03:58 AM   #1
majaka
majaka began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
PRS-500 Got stolen; need some ideas on prices etc.

Hey guys; today I had my PRS-500 stolen straight from my computer at a LAN place- lesson learned to keep it on you at all times and that anything that even resembles anything electronic will most likely be a target.

Well, there's not much I can do except hope that they caught the sticky-fingers on the camera, and that the police will soon turn up to his/her door.

But I might as well start preparing for the worst-case and assume that it has gone walking straight out of the café and never to return. I've been around the forums for a bit; I got my PRS-500 in February or so, and haven't had any complaints. I loved all the homebrew programs we have for converting between files etc. and the great support MobileRead gave with them, which certainly helped me out a lot!!

Now, however, i'm a bit out of the loop. I notice that there's a PRS-505, and no doubt the original price that I paid for my PRS-500 ($349) is out of date.
I'm actually an Australian user so I had to pay the extra $50 or so to ship it out of the US, so I have to keep that in mind too. I'm wondering exactly what the latest deals are, how much would be "too much" and anything that would help a poor bloke get back his beloved reading time on the train!!

I'm hoping that insurance will cover it, and that i'll have a few spare dollars over the holidays to weld it to a lanyard, or maybe get one of those cool DNA-lock things like in the Chronicles of Riddick

I would love any help I could get from you guys; please 'dun be too hard on me, i'm already kicking myself enough as it is!!

Thanks!

Last edited by majaka; 11-30-2007 at 04:11 AM.
majaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 11:27 AM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Welcome to MobileRead, majaka! Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

The new 505 models are retailing for ~$300 (you can find them for a bit less in some cases), and the 500 models on e-bay have dropped to around $250, I think, never can really tell with e-bay, can you?

The content tools work just fine for the 505, but the hacks don't -- yet (they closed the access on it, reportedly as a side effect of what they had to do to make it a USB mass storage device).

The big advantage to the 505, other than the USB mass storage thing, is that it's a Vizplex screen so it's noticeably brighter than the old 500.

When you get your new one, or your old one back, remember there's a built in lanyard attachment point on it.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2007, 02:34 PM   #3
Astropin
Connoisseur
Astropin is on a distinguished road

Device: PRS-505, N800
You can get a refurbished 500 from Sonystyle for $199. The New 505 is $299 and the lowest I've seen it online is $279 from Crutchfield (with an easy to find $20 off coupon)
Astropin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 04:34 PM   #4
majaka

Haaha, thank you NatCh; i've always wondered what that little doo-hickey in the bottom left was for :P

Brighter screen sounds good; the PRS-500 is great when it comes to bright sunlight, but a bit dull when it's late at night and you're sitting on the train (as I do a lot ) as the lights from above don't quite get everywhere. Is there any reduction on reflections? As in, any anti-glare coatings etc. added to the plastic? I found it a bit hard to have to re-adjust the angle, although it's really just a small issue as eventually you get too engrossed in the book to care about a lil' bit of glare. (and even real books get it!!)

I'm thinking I might dish out a little bit more for the 505. I actually found an AUSTRALIAN seller doing it for $350 AUD on E-Bay, brand new in box, and only $10 shipping, which is a heck of a load cheaper than the US sellers going at it for $350 USD and $50 USD shipping, or in one smart guy's case, 250 Euros, haha, item location; Florida (Someone's losing trust in the value of the American dollar )

Hopefully the security admin will get around to viewing the video footage today, although i'm not really too confident that they will bother for too long if they can't... Good luck to the thief if he ever tries to upload anything, he'll prolly have to come to MobileRead for all the conversion tools, hehe.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:13 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I'd say the glare situation is more or less the same, but I can't really check as I had to send my 505 eval unit back some time ago.

Unless you really want the hacks, I think I'd look to the 505, myself. Since they incorporated a number of the hacks (direct page control, full off, and a few others) all I'd really miss on the 505 is having the time on the display.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2007, 05:30 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
B&H has the Silver 505 in stock now at $289. They wiil ship overseas. So that is a good place to order one from.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ital_Book.html
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 09:26 PM   #7
denlac
denlac began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I recently purchased my blue 505 from B & H for that price and used the cheapest shipping option.

Took around four days to arrive in Brisbane via UPS. Well boxed and I didn't have to pay GST, duty or any additional handling charges.

Denis
denlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 06:48 AM   #8
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
yeh do the cheapest shipping option mine hit the uk in 3 days from B&H
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 07:28 AM   #9
majaka

Thanks so much for all your help guys; i'll definitely check them out!!

Hacks aren't a big deal to me (I was never into possibly ruining my little baby!) so I think i'll look at the 505. Dad is shouting me half the price (christmas spirit I guess) even though it's not like I really need the cash (got a job, haha) but o well, still love the old guy!!