Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-27-2012, 02:55 PM   #1
Bagtrail
Bagtrail began at the beginning.

Device: Airis T620
Least disturbing reader

What would be the best device for reading in bed so as not to disturb my (sleeping) partner? I currently use a PDA, but the screen is tiny. I don't mind if it is eink or a tablet.
Bagtrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:32 PM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Any reader with a good booklight should be fine. The Sony PRS-T1 has a very nice cover with a very nice booklight.
The cover is expensive though I believe.
Sony and kindle readers make virtually no noise when turning pages and only one hand to operate. I am pretty sure nook an kobo etc are the same.

Shouldn't be a problem
Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #3
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I'm not sure if a tablet with it's backlit screen gives off more of a glow than an e-reader with a lighted cover? If you decide to get an e-reader, I doubt there is really any particular one that is better than any other in this respect. The 'official' lighted covers look pretty good (I particularly like the latest Kindle ones), but they are expensive (about $50). Or you could just buy a clip-on light. Anway, a couple of links that show what these covers are like:

Kindle Touch lighted cover
Sony PRS-T1 lighted cover
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:06 PM   #4
netboy
Enthusiast
netboy is clearly one to watchnetboy is clearly one to watchnetboy is clearly one to watchnetboy is clearly one to watchnetboy is clearly one to watchnetboy is clearly one to watchnetboy is clearly one to watchnetboy is clearly one to watchnetboy is clearly one to watchnetboy is clearly one to watchnetboy is clearly one to watch

Device: prs-505, prs-950, irex dr800sg
I lay on the right side(while in it) of the bed so when I use the sony book light cover, the front cover shields any stray light. I used to use an Irex 800sg with no cover and the book light drove my wife nuts.
netboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:22 PM   #5
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Kindle with a lighted cover works well and is non-annoying for one's partner. (Or so I've been assured.)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2012, 11:41 PM   #6
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Coincidentally I just started a thread about "night mode" on the Odyssey. Check it out here. If you can shield the light itself, then the night mode is probably even less disturbing than other eink readers.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote