Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-03-2007, 12:46 PM   #1
drkm_4_frm
drkm_4_frm began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Best one for CHM files and techbooks

Hi,

I have a huge collection of tech books in CHM and PDF format. I intent to refer them when i work in my ubuntu linux laptop. I may also use my device for reading non tech articles occasionally.

I dont really wanna service like sony Connect or amazon. I can manage by transfering stuff to my device.

Can any one suggest a best bet???

All i'm concerned is how best pdf files can be read in a reader? For chm, there should be certainly some decompiler avaialable in linux platform which will allow me to convert it in to html.
drkm_4_frm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 01:52 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
See if FBReader will handle your CHM files on your laptop. If so, then the iLiad may be your best option. It is the most expensive, but also the largest of the E-Ink devices. However, if you have very large CHM files (5 MB or more), then they may work using FBReader on your laptop and fail using FBReader on the iLiad (because of memory constraints).

The Windows MobiPocket Reader will convert some CHM files to MOBI. These are then readable on iLiad, or Cybook or Kindle. However, you need access to a Windows machine to do the conversion. FBReader will read the MOBI file as well as the CHM file on your Linux laptop.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2007, 03:39 PM   #3
drkm_4_frm
drkm_4_frm began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Thanks Wall.
Looks like FBReader runs in destops also. And they've precompiled packages for ubuntu too!
drkm_4_frm is offline   Reply With Quote