Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-12-2012, 05:45 PM   #1
diddy
Connoisseur
diddy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Who has problems with the Reader Mac app?

... because my Reader Mac app seems to be a messing up everything:
- highlights are duplicated with every sync (so I end up having X times the same highlight)
- my T1 ereader was deauthorized
- books are marked as expired although they are bought and not borrow from a library

I am really coming close to a point of giving up on the Sony ereader experience ...

I really do not understand how Sony can release such a bad software.

Note: I do not use any 3rd party software on my Mac to manage the T1 ereader
diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:10 PM   #2
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
It sounds like maybe your database is corrupted. If I were you, I would reformat the T1's internal memory and start from scratch to resync your books. I have not had any issues with multiple highlights from syncing, although I have read posts by other people that have similar duplication issues.

I had an issue with a book marked as expired even though it was purchased and not borrowed. I deleted it and then reimported it and so far so good.

I also oddly had my T1 no longer recognize my ADE authorization about a week ago. I had to re-register it with the Sony store. I don't think it was necessarily related to the Reader app. I think maybe it was a firmware issue. I was reading a book and it went into a spinning arrow loop (maybe it was rescanning the database?), and I reset it to get out of the loop. Shortly thereafter I noticed that I could no longer read DRM-protected books. I suspect the events are somehow related.

I agree the new Sony software is very frustrating. I am now experimenting with using calibre to manage my library. I recommend that you continue to use Reader Library to manage your purchased books and manually transfer them to your T1 or use another program like calibre. Alternatively you could resort to a wireless experience. Download your books directly on the T1 through the browser or use the Dropbox website to transfer books from your Mac to your T1 wirelessly.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2012, 04:58 AM   #3
diddy
Connoisseur

Thanks a lot for your help!
I forgot to mention that the sync now hangs after 2 minutes and I have to cancel it. I do not understand how my database could have got corrupted.

I am also wondering how I can get rid of the duplicated highlights? If Sony doesn't address this problem I'll be terribly disappointed. I mainly bought the T1 for the highlight features and having all my highlights messed up now is a pain.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:21 AM   #4
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How many books are you trying to sync?
Old 01-13-2012, 10:13 AM   #5
diddy
Connoisseur

I have only about 20 in my library.
Advert
Old 01-13-2012, 11:04 AM   #6
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

I think your issues are because something is corrupted. I would delete the books.db file to force it to rebuild the database or else reformat. I was syncing hundreds of books. The only duplicates of notes that I had were because I had two copies of the same book (one on the main memory and one on SD). Have you looked at the files on your T1 in the Finder window? Do you maybe have multiple copies of the book on your T1? There is a box on the sync screen related to highlights and notes. Do you have that checked on?
Old 01-13-2012, 04:51 PM   #7
diddy
Connoisseur

Many thanks for your suggestions! I did double check now and I don't have two copies of the same book on the T1. The other thing is that all my book have duplicated highlights (at least all the ones I sync'd), so it's not an isolated case. I can see duplicated highlights both on the T1 and on my Mac.

So you are suggesting deleting books.db on the T1. Will I not loose all my highlights and so on?

Should I then restart the T1?
And/Or
Should I sync it with the Mac App?
Old 01-13-2012, 05:38 PM   #8
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

I think if you delete books.db then you will lose your notes. I would probably reformat the memory and wipe everything clean so a sync doesn't accidentally delete notes from your hard-drive copies? Are you positive that all of your notes are in the Reader software associated with the copies on your hard-drive? If so then it shouldn't be a big deal to wipe clean the T1. You can just recopy the books with notes from your computer to your T1 as if it were brand-new out of box. It sounds like you need to clean-up the notes in the Reader software to delete the duplicates first though. Otherwise the problem will persist.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:08 PM   #9
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

You could copy the books.db to your hard-drive as a backup. Then if deletion of the books.db has unintended consequences you could replace the new one with your old backup. In any case I would probably make a backup of the T1 if you choose to delete books.db or reformat.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:31 AM   #10
diddy
Connoisseur

Many thanks!
I have many highlights in many books and deduplicating all these highlights manually will take a lot of hours. The highlighting features of the Sony ereaders were one of the main reasons I went for them. I do not think a user should be wasting their time with deduplicating highlights. To my eyes, this is not considered a "user-friendly" reading experience.
Some of my friends and colleagues have a Kindle. I asked them yesterday if they ever had any problems with the device and all of them said no. I just want to read, I don't want to spend hours fixing problems caused by buggy software.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:21 PM   #11
diddy
Connoisseur

Do you know by any chance in which file and location the Reader app stores the highlights?

I checked /Users/username/Library/Preferences/Sony Corporation/Reader/Database/kLibrary.xdb but this one seems to be used by Reader Library only.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:01 PM   #12
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

I tried to look around in the various directories, but I couldn't find it either. The new software appears to be structured differently. It was much easier with the Reader Library software to find and access the info.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:19 PM   #13
diddy
Connoisseur

Thanks. Yes, it seems to be a completely different setup. I just looked through the package content of the reader app and couldn't find anything there either.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:47 PM   #14
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post
Thanks. Yes, it seems to be a completely different setup. I just looked through the package content of the reader app and couldn't find anything there either.
I think it's
C:\Users\Fotak Veljko\AppData\Local\Sony Corporation\ReaderDesktop

In that massive DB file called "Reader Desktop Library".
Every time I highlight, that file gets updated - and it increases in size.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:27 PM   #15
diddy
Connoisseur

I can find this folder, but there is nothing in it apart from another empty folder called ticket:
/Users/username/Library/Preferences/Sony Corporation/ReaderDesktop/ticket

I also have to old Reader Library installed and all the data is under
/Users/username/Library/Preferences/Sony Corporation/Reader