Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-11-2012, 03:20 AM   #31
JustSimplyMobile
JustSimplyMobile began at the beginning.

Device: none
SOPA

Would it affect mobile websites as well? SOPA would be terrible among people that are working offsite on the internet.
JustSimplyMobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:55 AM   #32
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Lol

Conspiracy theories are so much fun.
How did the anti-terror laws work out for you guys? They are only used to catch terrorists, right?
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2012, 06:59 AM   #33
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
How did the anti-terror laws work out for you guys? They are only used to catch terrorists, right?
Right, because anyone they catch is a terrorist
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:16 AM   #34
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Quote:
Originally Posted by phcaan View Post
Well folks, the real issue here is control. Our government, USA, has trashed our constitution, bill of rights, and our legal system. They cannot afford to have a free internet. Pirating is just an excuse they are using to attempt to control and censor the internet .
It is all about power. It is all about control, and they will do anything to stop information they don’t control.
i see your point but i think this is more the last ditch effort of dying media empires to hold onto some type of relevance than anything. traditional media is losing massive ground to the internet day by day and they're filling their trousers in fear.

personally i don't really watch tv anymore, i watch my youtube "programs". i stream radio. i use netflix instead of going to the theater. i buy indie and small press novels. i'm just one guy but there are millions out there like me and more every day.

this sopa is nothing more than an attempt to keep people tuned into traditional media outlets, nothing more. they want to be the gatekeepers of your entertainment at all costs.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:17 AM   #35
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
I am not American. But that is besides the point, that is quite a different story from what the person I was replying to wrote about. He was implying that the US government is trying to stop the free flow of information.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2012, 07:26 AM   #36
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I am not American. But that is besides the point, that is quite a different story from what the person I was replying to wrote about. He was implying that the US government is trying to stop the free flow of information.
we don't even need governments to control information, the lust of the news media to continue bringing in advertising dollars from companies like those behind sopa does the job for them mcdonalds is a big advertiser? well, they may not report on a batch of tainted meat or at the very least they'll bury/white wash it.

corporate censorship is a far greater danger than government censorship.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:41 AM   #37
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
we don't even need governments to control information, the lust of the news media to continue bringing in advertising dollars from companies like those behind sopa does the job for them mcdonalds is a big advertiser? well, they may not report on a batch of tainted meat or at the very least they'll bury/white wash it.

It was not my intention to defend SOPA, far from it.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:02 AM   #38
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
The US government IS trying to stop the free flow of information. Some of that information consists of sharing done in violation of copyright law, but it is still information, nonetheless. And it is not a conspiracy to point out ways in which the US government has rolled back civil liberties and violated Constitutional guarantees. We recently had the case of a US citizen who was extra-judicially killed by the CIA. All it took was his name being put on a special list by the President. No indictment, no trial, no due process at all. It is not 'conspiratorial thinking' to be disturbed by that precedent.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:20 AM   #39
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
The US government IS trying to stop the free flow of information. Some of that information consists of sharing done in violation of copyright law, but it is still information, nonetheless. And it is not a conspiracy to point out ways in which the US government has rolled back civil liberties and violated Constitutional guarantees. We recently had the case of a US citizen who was extra-judicially killed by the CIA. All it took was his name being put on a special list by the President. No indictment, no trial, no due process at all. It is not 'conspiratorial thinking' to be disturbed by that precedent.
I agree with part of what you are saying --- civil liberties have been rolled back. Though you can argue about the merits of that particular case, I do question if it is a good idea that a government should have such powers over its citizens. But you and others (including the press) are freely reporting about it. Nobody is or was even trying to stop this news from going public.

However, copyright protection is not there to prevent the "sharing" of information (sorry, a copy of the latest best seller is not even "news" that must be shared). Besides, anyone can easily access that information by paying for a copy of the book or visiting the nearest library.

Last edited by HansTWN; 01-11-2012 at 08:26 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:44 AM   #40
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Besides, anyone can easily access that information by paying for a copy of the book or visiting the nearest library.
Indeed, the purpose of copyright libraries is to ensure that EVERY copyrighted work is available to the public.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:00 AM   #41
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Indeed, the purpose of copyright libraries is to ensure that EVERY copyrighted work is available to the public.
Every published copyrighted work.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:39 AM   #42
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
This is what I've never been able to convince my dad's Tea Party friends of. They're still living in the Clinton era, expecting the US to be turned over to some kind of neo-Stalinist autocracy that they're going to have to take up arms and fight a civil war against, in defense of of "free enterprise."
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:13 AM   #43
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Don't they have lobbyists for this kind of thing?

By the way, those in the US who oppose SOPA should write their Congressional reps.
But do you know how expensive Lobbyists are? the handful of proSOPA companies are able to outspend every AntiSOPA. Maplight.org has been tracking spending, and the ProSOPA companies have donated $92 million to campaigns to further SOPA, where as the antiSOPA companies have spent $7 million.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:01 PM   #44
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
This is what I've never been able to convince my dad's Tea Party friends of. They're still living in the Clinton era, expecting the US to be turned over to some kind of neo-Stalinist autocracy that they're going to have to take up arms and fight a civil war against, in defense of of "free enterprise."
neither are great considering how closely in cahoots they are but in my life i've been unaware of any outright censorship from the government but white washed stories on corporate wrong doing are a dime a dozen.

as to the topic-

Reddit admins announce January 18 blackout to protest SOPA

"The Internet has been rumbling and mobilizing in response to SOPA. One of the latest acts of protest against the Stop Online Piracy Act is a planned blackout by social website reddit on January 18.

Reddit admins announced the plan in a blog post on Tuesday. The post acknowledged the activism by redditors in the fight against “powerful forces trying to censor the Internet.” However, the admins explained that it was time for the next stage of the fight, and they’ve decided they will be blacking out reddit on January 18. The blackout will last all day from 8am to 8pm Eastern Standard Time.

Instead of the normal reddit gumbo, visitors will be treated to a message about the impact of the PIPA/SOPA legislation on sites such as reddit. Along with the message will be links to resources for visitors to research the legislation. Reddit will also be showcasing a live video stream of “Internet entrepreneurs and technical experts” testifying at the House hearing. And for those of you looking for activist activities, like meetups or campaigns against PIPA/SOPA, reddit will be spotlighting these that day."

http://news.yahoo.com/reddit-admins-...062713699.html

i'd love for a heavy hitter like amazon to do it too but i don't think they've got the testicular fortitude to deal with the issues caused by ignoramous customers that would result.

Last edited by xg4bx; 01-11-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:02 PM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
How odd. I'm using Firefox, if that helps.
I also use Firefox. But I think it's the website that's the issue.

P.S. I was able to sign in today

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-11-2012 at 07:06 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote