Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-09-2012, 12:20 PM   #16
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
I suspect that the millions contacting MPs, referred to by mr ploppy, is of the same validity as "thousands" of MPs as we actually have 650... slightly lower but definitely factual...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:05 PM   #17
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Maybe Mobile-read should consider joining the protest and blacking out too on whatever date is decided for the protest
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2012, 04:47 PM   #18
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
I suspect that the millions contacting MPs, referred to by mr ploppy, is of the same validity as "thousands" of MPs as we actually have 650... slightly lower but definitely factual...
Either way, it was still a waste of time because the deal had already been sewn up behind closed doors. Everything else was just a formality. Cleggy probably got a lot of new votes on his promise to repeal it until it could be discussed properly, but when he said that he probably wasn't expecting to get a sniff at Cameron's toilet seat.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:20 PM   #19
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
I'd be in favor of the blackout in theory, but I wonder how much business money it will cost in practice. Maybe worth it, though.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:00 PM   #20
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I wrote my two senators and my congresswoman about it last week. One senator promptly replied that she is a co-sponsor of the bill!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2012, 08:14 PM   #21
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I wrote my two senators and my congresswoman about it last week. One senator promptly replied that she is a co-sponsor of the bill!
Comeback: Well, that doesn't mean you have to VOTE for it, does it??
Old 01-09-2012, 08:15 PM   #22
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Maybe Mobile-read should consider joining the protest and blacking out too on whatever date is decided for the protest
I run a radio station and website with some other folks, and we are blacking out both our site and our audio streams on the 23rd.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:05 PM   #23
phcaan
phcaan is on a distinguished road

Device: Google Nexus 7
Well folks, the real issue here is control. Our government, USA, has trashed our constitution, bill of rights, and our legal system. They cannot afford to have a free internet. Pirating is just an excuse they are using to attempt to control and censor the internet .
It is all about power. It is all about control, and they will do anything to stop information they don’t control.
phcaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:42 PM   #24
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Maybe.

One argument against is that MobileRead is Canadian. SOPA proponents might try to paint protesting web sites as foreign, and in as much as this turned out to be true, it would not help.

I don't think opposing SOPA is hopeless. Protests will push the eventual compromise in the less-bad direction. How far, that we don't know.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:40 AM   #25
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
After watching some of the mark-up hearing, I wanted to find some of the dimwits in the committee and light their ears on fire. I really can't stand this SOPA/PIPA stuff. I agree with what they're hoping to accomplish (killing piracy, or at the least slow it down), but what they're proposing...just wont work.

We don't need a net-nanny.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:01 PM   #26
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
What, mobileread is Canadian
Damn, I should be allowed to speak French here if I wanted to !

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
Maybe.

One argument against is that MobileRead is Canadian. SOPA proponents might try to paint protesting web sites as foreign, and in as much as this turned out to be true, it would not help.

I don't think opposing SOPA is hopeless. Protests will push the eventual compromise in the less-bad direction. How far, that we don't know.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:12 PM   #27
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

There's a change.org petition on this that goes to the heart of one of the bill supporters:

http://www.change.org/petitions/tell...net-censorship
Old 01-10-2012, 03:29 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
There's a change.org petition on this that goes to the heart of one of the bill supporters:

http://www.change.org/petitions/tell...net-censorship
The site is buggy. I tried to sign and it says my city is blank when it's not. I think it's not going to work with bugs like that.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:34 PM   #29
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The site is buggy. I tried to sign and it says my city is blank when it's not. I think it's not going to work with bugs like that.
How odd. I'm using Firefox, if that helps.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:52 PM   #30
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by phcaan View Post
Well folks, the real issue here is control. Our government, USA, has trashed our constitution, bill of rights, and our legal system. They cannot afford to have a free internet. Pirating is just an excuse they are using to attempt to control and censor the internet .
It is all about power. It is all about control, and they will do anything to stop information they don’t control.
Lol

Conspiracy theories are so much fun.

Last edited by HansTWN; 01-10-2012 at 07:59 PM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote