Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 02-24-2012, 08:39 AM   #181
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Hi Komodo

When was this solved? Which version? Was it in 20120224

"Panning with joystick in zoom mode (alternative to pen panning - given that 2 buttons on the left side already switch pages and that the current solution forces to switch frequently between scribble and pan mode)"

BTW it would be useful to add there this info (which software revision solved the problem)

Last edited by PF4Mobile; 02-24-2012 at 08:52 AM.
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:48 AM   #182
thorgal
thorgal began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3, Onyx M92
I have just updated to the last fw and it seems to handle PDFs fine at last.

PD: Sorry if this has been asked before but, how do you install third party programs like the chess one?
thorgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2012, 08:49 AM   #183
CJY
Zealot
CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Ok, this is getting not just tedious but irritating:

- After every firmware upgrade, the setting for Time Zone, Date and Time are reset, and thus have to be manually set each time.

- Any added Start Pages for the web browser always gets deleted after upgrade, and have to be redone. (Since Start Pages copies themselves to Bookmarks, this can be quite a bit of work.)

- Custom boot splash picture resets back, and have to be customised again.

- And for this latest f/w, the actual MAC address changed, so had to rearrange the router settings to get connectivity... seriously!

Sorry for the impatient tone, but this is really starting to get on my nerves.
Does anyone has a take as to whether this is only because I am installing RC releases or I should expect this behaviour to continue in the future?

Cheers!
CJ
CJY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:01 AM   #184
kodomo
M92 info archivist
kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.

Device: IRex Iliad 2nd ed., Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox Max Lumi
Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
Hi Komodo

When was this solved? Which version? Was it in 20120224

"Panning with joystick in zoom mode (alternative to pen panning - given that 2 buttons on the left side already switch pages and that the current solution forces to switch frequently between scribble and pan mode)"

BTW it would be useful to add there this info (which software revision solved the problem)
I did not test it with 1.6, but with 1.7, I can use the joystick to pan in most zoom modes (not in hide-margin much to my chagrin )
Or did I misunderstand your request? If so - please add it as you meant it. Otherwise, it's working in 1.7 (already was with the version from 21/02/12)
kodomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:09 AM   #185
kodomo
M92 info archivist
kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.

Merged PDF printing

Btw.: I don't know whether anyone tried this so far... I was confused when both evince and acroread showed merged scribbles, but refused to print them.
The printed document was always an unmodified version. Does anyone know how to print them?

(And since I'm already asking: is there a way to select other colours than black and white for annotations? I loved the possibility to select different colours with my old Iliad... helped a lot to visualize different classes of comments)
Advert
Old 02-24-2012, 09:17 AM   #186
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Please see here for more.
I am not running the 20120224 so I reported the bug for the previous version.

Open a PDF
Rotate the screen so you can read in landscape mode (the page stays in portrait mode)
Switch the layout to "continuous page"
Set Zooming to "two points mode", select the zoomed region to be any left margin to right margin section of the page.

At this point since the arrows move the viewed section one block up or down I would expect the joystick to allow me to advance step by step (let's say 1 text line at a time up or down). Instead the joystick does the same thing as the arrow buttons do: if pushed it will advance the text with a section up or down...
Old 02-24-2012, 09:23 AM   #187
kodomo
M92 info archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
Please see here for more.
I am not running the 20120224 so I reported the bug for the previous version.

Open a PDF
Rotate the screen so you can read in landscape mode (the page stays in portrait mode)
Switch the layout to "continuous page"
Set Zooming to "two points mode", select the zoomed region to be any left margin to right margin section of the page.

At this point since the arrows move the viewed section one block up or down I would expect the joystick to allow me to advance step by step (let's say 1 text line at a time up or down). Instead the joystick does the same thing as the arrow buttons do: if pushed it will advance the text with a section up or down...
Behaviour of 24/02/12: joystick pans, if not by 1 line, but by 1 screen. (which is what I personally expect in this case)...
Old 02-24-2012, 09:33 AM   #188
kodomo
M92 info archivist

I'm wondering whether it might make sense to set up either a thread, or a wiki page where one can enter his common workflow as a basis to discuss how buttons etc. should behave...
...then again, being an xmonad user on my computers, I get the impression that it probably will be difficult to accomodate everyone's workflow with a generic configuration.

...Maybe it would make sense to define
[Events] (short/long action on every key event)
and
[Actions] (pan n pixels/flip page/...)
and allow for user defined configurations there?

I'm not sure what will be less of a hassle for the developers :P

I personally will work most in hide-margins or column-mode (when it becomes available) to read, using panning to hide/show margins next to the visible area.
I'd expect the left buttons to switch screens in these modes and I'd need some convenient way to switch between scribbling and erasing.
Colour selection would come best via bottom bar, but menu is acceptable.
Long presses of 'back' button would go to main directory, and long pressing of 'home' buton would be a user configurable action (e.g. abovementioned scribble switch).

Cheers!

P.S.: PF4Mobile: I agree that it is not useful to have the same functionality twice when input events are scarce (I would make the panning result dependent on the zoom mode. In my favoured zoom modes mentioned above, I have given the implicit contextual information that I'm mostly not interested in margins, but may be for annotation reasons - that's why I'd prefer the joystick to act as hide/show margin functionality there. If an arbitrary zoom level is chosen, your 'line' or an 'n pixel' panning makes a lot more sense.)

Last edited by kodomo; 02-24-2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:45 AM   #189
kodomo
M92 info archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorgal View Post

PD: Sorry if this has been asked before but, how do you install third party programs like the chess one?
Didn't try it yet, but I would reckon: By unpacking them onto a SD card. (I would guess that there's not so much an 'installation', but a 'copying onto the device' that's required to use them )
I'll have to try a given moment (or you could - and report or write a short paragraph in https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Boox_M92_software_list

Cheers!
Old 02-24-2012, 10:10 AM   #190
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorgal View Post

It is actually very easy:
Just unpack (if packed) and copy the folder with the game/program to the internal memory of M92 (or SD card). Using file manager go to the folder and click (with the stylus or OK) the flie with .OAR extension. That's it!
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:28 AM   #191
PF4Mobile
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodomo View Post
Btw.: I don't know whether anyone tried this so far... I was confused when both evince and acroread showed merged scribbles, but refused to print them.
The printed document was always an unmodified version. Does anyone know how to print them?

(And since I'm already asking: is there a way to select other colours than black and white for annotations? I loved the possibility to select different colours with my old Iliad... helped a lot to visualize different classes of comments)
I did not get there yet in my workflow.
I am still reading a book and I will test the transfer to the desktop soon.

When jbaach reviewed the ereader I looked into that and I noticed that the scribbles were stored as layers not as annotations (in the comments section)
So I suspect that in order to print them you need to flatten the document or you need to somehow enable the printing for layers.

Do not use a regular PDF reader for this ...you need something more advanced like Adobe Acrobat or BlueBeam PDF Revu (BTW this is a great piece of software)
Old 02-24-2012, 10:53 AM   #192
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
It would be nice if Onyx could implement the feature to join scribles and annotations to pdf, but only the pages (or even better fractions of pages) to new pdf.

So, in new pdf would be only interesting parts of whole text. In the best case also with a reference to page (from which page each part of the text comes).
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:56 AM   #193
ragasol
ragasol began at the beginning.

Device: onyxboox m92
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragasol View Post
I have the same problem. I have tried two different cards with no result.

No idea what to do... Still waiting after an hour...

EDIT: After more than two hours I rebooted the device... It does not restart, and the M92 cannot be switched off.

RAFA
Any idea?... The device updates, but when reboots doesn't start... I send a picture...

Another question: Improved Version 1.6, has a zip file inside the original zip file. Is that correct?

RAFA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1562.JPG
Views:	316
Size:	511.5 KB
ID:	82985  

Last edited by ragasol; 02-24-2012 at 10:59 AM.
ragasol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:00 AM   #194
PF4Mobile
Guru

Try to go back to the previous version see if that works
This way you can find out if it is the firmware or your SD card or the hardware

For all the people complaining about upgrade problems: It would be helpful if you could mention the speed of your SD card and the model and the maker.
Considering that the upgrade is not a small file the process might get stuck with slower cards....
Old 02-24-2012, 11:12 AM   #195
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
There is also one important thing while using the firmware zip file.

It is sort of obvious, but the file name should not be altered! I added the version number at the end of the original name (which I do always for any firmware, if it does not include version info in original name) and of course renamed file was not recognized...
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote