Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-28-2011, 06:54 PM   #1
richrock
Sony Reader Fanatic
richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Moving from SF to contemporary fiction recommends please

I'm just looking for something different and interesting to read. My only area of reading is SF - Space Opera, Cyberpunk, Military SF. I like Peter F Hamilton, Heinlein, William Gibson, Richard Morgan. I'm pushing myself into Jeffrey Thomas territory - I just love Blue War and wish it was an ebook.

I've dabbled in Tom Clancy (great, but I'm no gun nut), Roberto Bolano's 2666 (intriguing, but never finished) and managed the Bourne Trilogy - but put off by the connection to Van Lustbader. Never liked his work.

Can anyone recommend works in another genre that may pique a SF nut's interest? I'm looking at trying some crime fiction, never read that, or even just some plain contemporary. I don't like period drama, so stuff set earlier than 1900 may be pushing it (unless it's free ) and even then...

Any ideas? Got some money to put down on some ebooks...
richrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:04 PM   #2
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Try Raymond Chandler....twas a great writer...good crime fiction...

Haruki Murakami

Orphan Pamuk
J.M. Coetze....

Quote:
Originally Posted by richrock View Post
I'm just looking for something different and interesting to read. My only area of reading is SF - Space Opera, Cyberpunk, Military SF. I like Peter F Hamilton, Heinlein, William Gibson, Richard Morgan. I'm pushing myself into Jeffrey Thomas territory - I just love Blue War and wish it was an ebook.

I've dabbled in Tom Clancy (great, but I'm no gun nut), Roberto Bolano's 2666 (intriguing, but never finished) and managed the Bourne Trilogy - but put off by the connection to Van Lustbader. Never liked his work.

Can anyone recommend works in another genre that may pique a SF nut's interest? I'm looking at trying some crime fiction, never read that, or even just some plain contemporary. I don't like period drama, so stuff set earlier than 1900 may be pushing it (unless it's free ) and even then...

Any ideas? Got some money to put down on some ebooks...

Last edited by hidari; 01-01-2012 at 07:50 PM.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2011, 08:06 PM   #3
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Margret Atwood

Toni Morrison.

Michael Bulgakov
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:17 AM   #4
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Tom Piccirilli, he writes modern noir about very damaged people.

Last edited by xg4bx; 12-29-2011 at 03:22 AM.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:38 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
As a transition author, you might wish to try Haruki Murakami, who straddles sci-fi/mystery and literary fiction.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2011, 09:41 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Try Jeffrey Deaver. Superb crime/thriller author. I haven't read a book of his that I haven't thoroughly enjoyed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:54 PM   #7
MrTeatime
Connoisseur
MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350
David Mitchell is another good "transition" author: Ghostwritten and Cloud Atlas have (some) SF elements, and are highly acclaimed (Cloud Atlas won the British Book Awards Literary Fiction Award).

All of his books are available in ebook form (in the UK at least).

Iain (M.) Banks is also worth a look: he writes sci-fi under "Iain M Banks" and mainstream fiction under "Iain Banks". "The Bridge" is one of the latter and has a neat sci-fi "feel" to it.

I don't know much about crime fiction, alas :/

Last edited by MrTeatime; 12-29-2011 at 01:59 PM.
MrTeatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:04 AM   #8
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
maybe David Morrell. i haven't read much of his work but Creepers was a cool story about urban archaeologists/a treasure hunt and First Blood introduces John Rambo (yup, that Rambo) but the book was faaaaar better than any of the movies.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:29 AM   #9
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Have you considered nonfiction?

Michael Brooks' 13 Things that Don't Make Sense is a fascinating read, as is Lisa Randall's Warped Passages. (I've also been eyeing I am a Strange Loop by Douglas R. Hofstadter, although I haven't read it yet.)
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:55 AM   #10
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
Michael Crichton has several like Jurrasic Park, the Andromeda Strain or Timeline http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Crichton#Fiction_2
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:38 AM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Carlos Ruiz Zafrón's The Shadow of the Wind
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:20 AM   #12
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Carlos Ruiz Zafrón's The Shadow of the Wind

I loved this book!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:24 AM   #13
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
T. C. Boyle writes hip, contemporary works that almost always has a twist of some kind.

Short Stories Greasy Lake. Modern Love, etc.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:21 AM   #14
Coops
Zealot
Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Sony T3 backup
Douglas Adams' 'Dirk Gently' novels are wonderful. I reckon they're under appreciated due to being filed under the 'Science Fiction' section...

Only two of them: "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency" and the lovely titled " The Long Dark Tea-time of the Soul".

'Tea-time' opens with:

It can hardly be a coincidence that no language on earth has ever produced the expression "As pretty as an airport."

Airports are ugly. Some are very ugly. Some attain a degree of ugliness that can only be the result of a special effort.....

ps just bought a copy of "The shadow of the wind" , sounded well worth a go.... the backlog of books in my calibre collection is getting a bit out of hand...

and I thought of another recommendatio for the OP...
Vonnegut's "Slaughterhouse 5" . I re-read this some while back, and intend to read it again just to check whether it's as wonderful as I think it is...

Yes to Murakami also... may want to start with "Norwegian Wood" ( a less mystical/weird Murakami novel) and then go straight to "The Wind Up bird Chronicle" - and if you like him, make sure you read "Underground" - sounds a bit dull, but is oddly extremely interesting writing on the sarin gas poisoning in Japan...

Last edited by Coops; 12-31-2011 at 09:31 AM.
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:35 AM   #15
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Now wait a minute we have DIA here in Colorado....it's Arty!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote