Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 12-20-2011, 01:44 AM   #1
chengtzuu
chengtzuu began at the beginning.

Device: none
Troubleshoot for 1st time epub user

Hi, It's my 1st time doing ebook and im required to validate my epub file. And I'm having a problem with the validations.

These error form came out after I click Validate

ERROR: Test Issue 001.epub/META-INF/encryption.xml(1): element "encryption" incomplete; expected element "enc:EncryptedData" or "enc:EncryptedKey"

ERROR: Test Issue 001.epub/OEBPS/content.opf(10): date value '' is not valid. The date must be in the form YYYY, YYYY-MM or YYYY-MM-DD (e.g., "1993", "1993-05", or "1993-05-01"). See http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-datetime.

can anyone help me?

Regards
Bong
chengtzuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 03:03 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Sure we can help, but more info would be nice. How did you create the ePUB?

The second error is the easiest. You have your data value wrong in the content.opf. A date field must be in the form as described in the error message.

The first is something else, apparently you are trying encryption. Why and how are you trying to do that?
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2011, 10:28 PM   #3
chengtzuu

Hi Toxaris,

the publisher recommended me to use Adobe Indesign to convert the book into an Epub format for them.

So i Exported my test files from Indesign CS4 using the >Export for Digital Editions.. As it's my 1st time using this function I just let the software decide and just click "ok"

the 2nd i tried to change the date on my system but the same error persist. Is there any other way to change the date format?

oh, im actually clueless how the encryption came out. cause after I converted to Digital Editions from Indesign I directly use the file to validate.

thanks for replying. Appreciates
Bong
Old 12-21-2011, 02:33 AM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
There are quite a few people here who use Indesign. I think most do not. Please be aware that the output from ID is flawed an needs correction afterwards.
Load the resulting ePUB into Sigil and press validate there. The error messages are much more useful there and the date issue can be solved there in the metadata. Sigil will ensure that you use the right format. The problem is not the date in your system, but the date in the ePUB.
I am sure that the encrpytion is a result from a choice in exporting to ePUB from ID. You can solve that probably without an issue in Sigil.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:37 PM   #5
chengtzuu

Hi Toxaris,

Il look into it right away. Thanks for the info and the help appreciated. I think without your info il b absolutely clueless.

again, your assistant is much appreciated

regards
Bong
Advert
Old 12-21-2011, 10:25 PM   #6
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
The encryption is probably the Font Mangling. Is there any chance to use a newer version of InDesign, because the font problem is just one of many issues with ID CS4 that made it a 'joy' for everyone to use (export and then fix up all the problems by hand).

If you can't get a newer version of InDesign (if it is just a short term thing, then you can download a 30day trial from Adobe...), I would strongly suggest looking into using a different program to do the conversion, such as Calibre for just conversion if you already have it in a good eBook format already (I've also heard decent things about using Atlantis to convert from Word docs, but I haven't tried it myself), or Sigil to help you create the file
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:29 AM   #7
chengtzuu

Thanks Jim,

Il try to find out if I've any friends using CS5 and try it on their computer. I've downloaded Sigil. Solved 1 problem. but the date format is still an issue. I'll try to find out if CS5 has any luck but at the same time here's the error code:

the error falls on: <dc:date /> which is on line 10

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
<package xmlns="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf" unique-identifier="bookid" version="2.0">
<metadata xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" xmlns:opf="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf">
<meta content="Adobe InDesign" name="generator" />
<dc:title />
<dc:creator />
<dc:subject />
<dc:description />
<dc:publisher />
<dc:date />
<dc:source />
<dc:relation />
<dc:coverage />
<dc:rights />
<dc:identifier id="bookid">urn:uuid:f07cc8e8-12c2-c796-003a-493a8dc8c09d</dc:identifier>
<dc:language>en</dc:language>
</metadata>
<manifest>
<item href="toc.ncx" id="ncx" media-type="application/x-dtbncx+xml" />
<item href="Text/Untitled-1.xhtml" id="untitled-1" media-type="application/xhtml+xml" />
<item href="Images/99%20East%20Golf%20Club%20001_fmt.jpeg" id="x99-east-golf-club-001-fmt-jpeg" media-type="image/jpeg" />
<item href="Images/99%20East%20Golf%20Club%20002_fmt.jpeg" id="x99-east-golf-club-002-fmt-jpeg" media-type="image/jpeg" />
<item href="Images/Cover%20Page_fmt.jpeg" id="cover-page-fmt-jpeg" media-type="image/jpeg" />
<item href="Styles/template.css" id="css" media-type="text/css" />
</manifest>
<spine toc="ncx">
<itemref idref="untitled-1" />
</spine>
</package>

thanks for the help
regards
Bong

Last edited by Jellby; 12-22-2011 at 05:03 AM. Reason: Remove smilies from code
Old 12-22-2011, 10:10 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by chengtzuu View Post
Thanks Jim,

Il try to find out if I've any friends using CS5 and try it on their computer. I've downloaded Sigil. Solved 1 problem. but the date format is still an issue. I'll try to find out if CS5 has any luck but at the same time here's the error code:

the error falls on: <dc:date /> which is on line 10

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
<package xmlns="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf" unique-identifier="bookid" version="2.0">
<metadata xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" xmlns:opf="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf">
<meta content="Adobe InDesign" name="generator" />
<dc:title />
<dc:creator />
<dc:subject />
<dc:description />
<dc:publisher />
<dc:date />
<dc:source />
<dc:relation />
<dc:coverage />
<dc:rights />
<dc:identifier id="bookid">urn:uuid:f07cc8e8-12c2-c796-003a-493a8dc8c09d</dc:identifier>
<dc:language>en</dc:language>
</metadata>
<manifest>
<item href="toc.ncx" id="ncx" media-type="application/x-dtbncx+xml" />
<item href="Text/Untitled-1.xhtml" id="untitled-1" media-type="application/xhtml+xml" />
<item href="Images/99%20East%20Golf%20Club%20001_fmt.jpeg" id="x99-east-golf-club-001-fmt-jpeg" media-type="image/jpeg" />
<item href="Images/99%20East%20Golf%20Club%20002_fmt.jpeg" id="x99-east-golf-club-002-fmt-jpeg" media-type="image/jpeg" />
<item href="Images/Cover%20Page_fmt.jpeg" id="cover-page-fmt-jpeg" media-type="image/jpeg" />
<item href="Styles/template.css" id="css" media-type="text/css" />
</manifest>
<spine toc="ncx">
<itemref idref="untitled-1" />
</spine>
</package>

thanks for the help
regards
Bong
Sigil will fix the date.
tap F8
Then OK (that is it. It is fixed.
Save)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:26 PM   #9
chengtzuu

Hi theducks,

thanks for the info, i tried it and it's solved appreciates.

managed to use CS5.5 too thanks Jim Lester

problem solved..

appreciates every1's help here. You guys been awesome

thanks a million

Regards
Bong