Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-01-2010, 05:11 PM   #31
Almas
Addict
Almas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Touch; Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laine View Post
I got a BeBook Neo from Dymocks in George St, Sydney on Monday. Websites I've seen are advertising shipping in April. It was pricy A$569.
Yup, it is pricey but I've heard it's an awesome device. I've also been told that the Onyx Boox is an identical device that you can get for cheaper than the Neo, but I haven't done much research into it. Enjoy your Neo!
Almas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:14 PM   #32
Almas
Addict
Almas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
Thanks, what a relief

Yay, and I have paid for it. But it is still the middle of the night in Ohio where it is. Fingers crossed it gets posted before easter.

Cheers
Waiting for it to arrive is just as bad as trying to make a decision about which one to buy! Because once you've bought it you just want to play with it!
Advert
Old 04-02-2010, 04:18 AM   #33
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyglot27 View Post
Here is another Australian site for buying e-readers. They stock different brands the BeBook, Sony and Cool-er.
http://www.ebookbop.com.au/books/home.do
I saw 'Dracula' priced at $13+

Interesting...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:33 AM   #34
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
I saw 'Dracula' priced at $13+

Interesting...
I notice a few Charles Dickens there for sale for a price. Thought all of his are now public domain in Australia?
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 05:42 AM   #35
Almas
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
I notice a few Charles Dickens there for sale for a price. Thought all of his are now public domain in Australia?
Yup, they are.
Advert
Old 04-07-2010, 10:52 AM   #36
usercom
usercom began at the beginning.

Device: none
I bought the Kindle DX from the Amazon global site a couple of weeks ago. Although pricey, it is very close to my perfect e-book device. Now if they could add a workable annotations function using a pen-like device, it would be perfect.

I bought mine largely to read reference books and I am very pleased as I probably did more reading over the past couple of days than I have done in the 2 months before that.
usercom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:30 AM   #37
LionelM
LionelM began at the beginning.

Device: Merlin HYEG01098
I sent the one from DealsDirect back and got a full refund as it wouldn't work with a Mac.
I then bought an as new Kindle with 9 months original warranty with a case and light for $340 from ebay Au. And no post and packing as the seller brought it to my door! (I only live 20km from him)

I'm really enjoying reading with it. Lionel
LionelM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 02:36 AM   #38
bruceOz
bruceOz began at the beginning.

Device: bebook
but what about books for the kindle, you can only buy at amazon and they have a limited number of books available?
bruceOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 02:50 AM   #39
Chris Crouch
Enthusiast
Chris Crouch began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3 & iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceOz View Post
but what about books for the kindle, you can only buy at amazon and they have a limited number of books available?
It's about 95% true that you can buy only from amazon. There are some stores that sell some books in unprotected Mobi format, which the Kindle will read; and there are plenty of sources for public domain books in Kindle format.

The "limited" number of books available to Australia is currently 367,218. While there are definitely books that I've wanted to get that I can't, there isn't an alternative store that has more available.

Chris
Chris Crouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:08 AM   #40
ChrisC333
Groupie
ChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it is

Device: Acer eM250 Netbook, iTouch, iRiver Story, HP TM2 Tablet
These are the ones that I've come across actually in stock in my area (Perth).

The Co-op bookshops (found at various Unis round the country) sell BeBooks, BeBook Minis and Neos. You don't have to be a student to buy there, and they told me that you can become a member for a one off fee of $20. That gives you discounts.

Bebook Neo at Coop

We have 4 devices that we read books on, and all were bought from local shops, as I prefer to be able to see before I buy, and also to have somewhere to go back to in case of problems. We have been pleased with all of them.

1. iTouch good price at JB Hifi (and numerous other places). I bought it for music but was amazed to find that I've been able to comfortably read several complete books on it.

2. iRiver Story from the local Harvey Norman store. They knocked off 8.5% ($33.00) when I asked what they could do for cash. My wife's current favourite.

3. Acer 10" netbook. On 'special' at the local Coles supermarket, although the reduction was small. A good little computer for under $400 and I find it easy to read on. The display can be turned to portrait mode.

4. HP Touchsmart TM2 12" tablet computer. Already reasonably priced at Dick Smith, they knocked another $100 off for the asking. My favourite device for all reading - it's big enough for PDFs, online magazines and news sites, forums etc and gives a good big page for reading. You can instal software to read whatever formats you like. The touch screen folds back over the keyboard to make a chunky and versatile tablet.

Cheers,

Chris
ChrisC333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 02:37 PM   #41
Onemack
Groupie
Onemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle P/W, Kobo Aura, Kobo Libre 2, Boyue likebook P10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LionelM View Post
I then bought an as new Kindle with 9 months original warranty with a case and light for $340 from ebay Au. And no post and packing as the seller brought it to my door!
I'm really enjoying reading with it. Lionel
Yes I enjoy mine immensely so good and happy reading. However it may be a fraction costly I think, I got mine new directly from Amazon (arrived two days ago) for $354 Au including delivery with full warranty and leather case, is the reduced warranty and light worth $14? I have a number of ereaders and never used a light even though I have been given two as gifts.

I wonder about ebay purchases, my first ereader a Sony 500 was from ebay a few years ago and turned out to have been made obsolete by the Sony PRS 505 almost immediately and cost more. The next was Iliad from Dymocks and was grossly overpriced compared to direct supply, since then I have compared and found purchase from either B&H or direct from manufacturer was the best and cheapest option when buying from Australia, even with postage/delivery taken into account.

Cheers
John
Onemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:42 AM   #42
Jen
Jen began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook One - currently broken
Hey Guys,
I think Dymocks is trying to run out their stock of Hanlin V3s (they have Bebook 2010s in stock as well). The internet price is $AU400, I assume postage is extra.

It is still significantly more expensive than the Aztak option, http://www.astak.com/ezreader/step1.asp, where including postage a V3 (I suspect it is really a V3+) is going for $US285 including postage, roughly $AU306.
Hope you find this useful
Jen
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:40 AM   #43
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
I think that PocketBook will be soon opening a dealer's network in Australia and New Zealand. At that's what I've heard from them...
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 01:05 AM   #44
IndecisiveMe
Addict
IndecisiveMe doesn't litterIndecisiveMe doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Sony PRS-T1
That would be great Any idea of pricing yet? If they could keep their pricing competitive, and by that I mean way less than anyone else who is currently ripping off Austrlians and New Zealanders, then I think there'd be a good market for them.

My PB360 cost me $320 AUD including shipping from the US, if the pricing was anywhere near that, I'd certainly buy from them.
IndecisiveMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:27 AM   #45
Almas
Addict

I saw e-readers available in the recent Officeworks catalogue. They range from $100-300. You can check them out here:

http://www.officeworks.com.au/retail...hnology/eBooks

Tags
australia