Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-01-2011, 05:09 PM   #1
DavidF
DavidF began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Reason to Upgrade from Wifi to Touch ?

Hi,

I have both the original Kobo (which I have now passed to my wife, although my 21 year old son seems to have "aquired" it for his use), and the wifi model which I use every day.

I am perfectly happy with my wifi, it does everything I need and have never had any issues.

My problem is that Borders are offering the Touch for $139 (including a $10 eBook voucher) and I want one. (I clearly don't need one, I just want one)

So, I need some reasons to tell both myself and my wife why I need one (or at least SOME kind of justification for buying it)
DavidF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:13 PM   #2
estelle58
Cat lover
estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo, iPad mini, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura
How about the Kobo book club

If you register a new Kobo Touch between now and March 31, 2012, you can get 12 free ebooks. Valid only in Canada and the U.S.
estelle58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2011, 05:55 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Touch is faster; seems to handle material better; has a better screen; more flexibility in adding your own fonts to it; eBooks seem easier on the eyes on it!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:17 PM   #4
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
What PeterT said. It is a nicer reader all around. And you can search in books.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:19 PM   #5
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Maybe I'm just old and my memory isn't as good as it use to be, but when I read a book with a lot of characters, I really like the note taking and bookmarking capabilities of the Touch.
I use to have to keep paper and a pen beside the bed - now the notes are kept in the book.
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2011, 01:24 AM   #6
DavidF
DavidF began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
OK, so I have two functionality questions

1) I read some books with lots of footnotes (Terry Pratchet), using the Kobo original and wifi, these footnotes are either shown at the end of the chapter or the end of the book. Is this better on the Touch ?

2) I read some books with a list of characters or maps in the first few pages, does the Touch allow for an easy "Jump to Page xxx" and back again ? (something my current readers dont do)
DavidF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:12 AM   #7
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Going to watch this thread with some interest to see opinions about both. Jb hifi have the original wifi at $96 delivered and though it could be a good buy to have at work. Being a Linux user I am more keen for the original wifi as I could activate it via the Linux desktop app.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:31 AM   #8
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
There's a page slider that allows you to jump anywhere in the book. Also, you can now add multiple bookmarks to your book by touching the upper right corner of the page to dogear the page. This will allow you to easily jump back and forth within a book. You can do this with Kobo epubs and with sideloaded epubs.

You can also (with the most recent firmware update) annotate both Kobo epubs and sideloaded epubs.

I haven't read any books that use footnotes, so I can't comment on that.

Oh, and the touch handles PDFs better.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:48 AM   #9
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
OK, so I have two functionality questions

1) I read some books with lots of footnotes (Terry Pratchet), using the Kobo original and wifi, these footnotes are either shown at the end of the chapter or the end of the book. Is this better on the Touch ?

2) I read some books with a list of characters or maps in the first few pages, does the Touch allow for an easy "Jump to Page xxx" and back again ? (something my current readers dont do)
In response to 1). I too read TP books and Snuff allowed me to tap on the footnote number on the page and a small dialog was displayed with footnote text displayed within it. You could cancel / close the dialog, or tap the See More option which would then take you to the footnote in the footnotes section, and tapping on the footnote number would then take you back to the page it was found on, or if you tap to bring up the menu, you can select the Back option to take you back, that might actually answer your Q2 as well.

The only issue I had was some of the footnotes were rather lengthy and so the dialog that popped up truncated the full text. However, with the See More option I could go to the full footnote and read it, and then jump back.

I'm not sure if a book needs to be formatted in a specific way to allow this functionality to work. I've tried Snuff and Unseen Accademicals and the function works, however, Monstrous Regiment does not have functioning footnotes, if you tap on them, they do nothing. I'm sure another TP book I was reading would simply jump to the footnote in the footnotes page. But again, it's easy enough to get back in that case.

Last edited by Sharkus; 12-02-2011 at 11:12 AM.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 06:16 PM   #10
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkus View Post
The only issue I had was some of the footnotes were rather lengthy and so the dialog that popped up truncated the full text. However, with the See More option I could go to the full footnote and read it, and then jump back.

I'm sure another TP book I was reading would simply jump to the footnote in the footnotes page. But again, it's easy enough to get back in that case.
I like the way footnotes work since if it is relatively short (< a couple of sentences) it's pretty much instantaneous whereas if you want the whole thing it takes slightly longer. Since more of the ones I read are short (rather than long) I'd rather this small preview window. I think the difference in behaviour you are seeing is the difference between a "footnote" and an "endnote". The endnotes take you directly to the full page. This could just be a difference in the way the book is formatted.

As others have said you can bookmark the list of characters and add a note that that's what that page is. Using the bookmark is the equivalent of changing a chapter often in terms of time to happen.

And yes the book has to have formatting for it to work (I think it's basically a hyperlink).
robko is offline   Reply With Quote