Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-30-2011, 03:44 AM   #1
zyfy
zyfy began at the beginning.

Device: sony 500
Why my nook simple touch hidden web browser not work?

Just got my new nook touch. Search-type url only give me library and shop results, not go to web. Why? my firmware is 1.10, is that matter?
zyfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:47 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Yes, they turned off access to it with 1.1 update. I don't know if there's a workaround, but it really didn't work very well in the first place. I am sure it is still there to handle proxied wifi, facebook linking and the like.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2011, 01:40 PM   #3
zyfy
zyfy began at the beginning.

Device: sony 500
will root make it work? Otherwise I will return it.
zyfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:54 PM   #4
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by zyfy View Post
will root make it work? Otherwise I will return it.
It will, if you install a launcher or a browser. But if you bought this for web browsing, you got the wrong device.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:59 PM   #5
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
It will, if you install a launcher or a browser. But if you bought this for web browsing, you got the wrong device.
Yeah, really. I didn't cry about losing the web browser in the new firmware... I think I tried the browser once, said "oh, this is awful," and went back to reading. If you want to use an ereader for web browsing as well, I'd suggest getting a tablet instead, or get a smartphone for web browsing and use your ereader for reading.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2011, 01:24 PM   #6
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
Is there anyway to flash it back to 1.0? I would like to use dropbox with mine. I don't really care about general web browsing if possible to use dropbox. I don't want to root it and loose its reader functions. Thanks
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 04:45 PM   #7
linux_author
Connoisseur
linux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Nook Touch, N800
yes, if you remembered to back it up properly when you first bought it
linux_author is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:53 AM   #8
Timur
Connoisseur
Timur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five words

Device: EBW1150, Nook STR
If you do not have the backup, 8 interrupted boot processes will initiate factory reset. Personally, I have had to make it 20+ times before I got it right; in the end my Nook touch(1.0.1 updated) rolled back to 1.0.
Timur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:41 AM   #9
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok, thankyou... I just bought it and it came with 1.1.. What is an interupted boot process? I don't think mine ever turns off completely to boot.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:58 AM   #10
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecweston View Post
Yeah, really. I didn't cry about losing the web browser in the new firmware... I think I tried the browser once, said "oh, this is awful," and went back to reading.
lol, those were my thought-words exactly. It was a neat hack but completely without practical use.

The only hack I really want is to be able to download ebooks wirelessly from my home intranet. It isn't worth rooting the nook for it though.
Rob Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:18 AM   #11
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
That's me, I just want to be able to download my books from my Calibre server.
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:33 AM   #12
Timur
Connoisseur
Timur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five words

@dixieknits: The button on the back of Nook touch is the power button. Keep it pressed long enough(3-5 secs) and turning off dialog box pops up; if your touch screen is unresponsive, keep pressing the button even after the dialog box pops up and eventually it will shut down the device.

Turning on the device is similar: keep pressing the power button, until boot up screen comes up. If you release the button at that point the device boots up; but after the boot screen comes up, if you release and immediately push the button again and keep it pressed the device will seem to be frozen at that screen. This is an "interrupted boot". You have to do it 8 times without letting the device boot up in between to initiate system restore(I could never manage it in 8 times, but more like 20-30 times).
Old 12-22-2011, 12:07 PM   #13
dixieknits
Addict

Interesting, I will start. I'm to understand that will go back to the version with the hidden browser.. Since it's hidden, where will I find it?
Thankyou Timur for your help. This is my favorite ereader ever, just would like to use Dropbox without any major changes..
Old 12-22-2011, 01:19 PM   #14
Timur
Connoisseur

Hidden browser is accessed using the search interface, just type the url into the search editbox.

But I am afraid you might be disappointed in the hidden browser, because although it works it has the annoying tendency to close up at random times(quite often). Quite a PITA to use in my opinion.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:42 PM   #15
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieknits View Post
Ok, thankyou... I just bought it and it came with 1.1.. What is an interupted boot process? I don't think mine ever turns off completely to boot.
The interrupted boot process restores the device to whatever it shipped with. If yours is new, chances are that it has 1.1, so you can't flash 1.0 by this means.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote