Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-01-2011, 03:58 PM   #1
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Google ebooks helps you support your local Books stores

ABA, BlueFire (Bluefire reader) productions, Google have teamed up to produce a product called IndieBound Reader™

Quote:
Independent bookstores have partnered with Google to sell Google eBooks™ because of its open and accessible platform, so indies can provide an easy way for their customers to discover, read, and buy ebooks at while supporting local business. The ebooks are sold directly through independent bookstore websites. (more...)
It looks like currently only Android is supported, but they have plans to add an iOS product. The android app will allow in app purchasing, while the iOS app will not.

Links
IndieBound Reader for Android

List of 300+ Independent bookstores who are participating. . Looks like one of my favorite bookstores I use to haunt--when I read pBooks is on the list. Time to start visiting them again.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:55 PM   #2
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
I don't know if this will work to help indie bookstores survive, but I earnestly hope it does work. If you truly care about the survival of indie bookstores, when omne concrete way to help is to use a Google Books ereader device or app and buy ebooks from your locasl independent store through Google.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2011, 10:30 PM   #3
rdjack21
Groupie
rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elocity A7, Nook STR, Galaxy Nexus
While I like the idea I just wonder if they are using some other different form of DRM on the books.
rdjack21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:47 AM   #4
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjack21 View Post
While I like the idea I just wonder if they are using some other different form of DRM on the books.
It's Adobe DRM.

OK, I read down the list and I just gotta point out this one.

http://www.moseisleybooks.com/gbook/help/about
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 04:29 PM   #5
Nahgem
Groupie
Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks
*sigh* I wish my local indie bookstore had gone the Google route when they started selling ebooks. I'd love to continue supporting them now that I've gone mostly digital, but they chose Blio as their ebook partner, and I'm not going to buy ebooks I can't read on my actual ereader.

Anyway, I hope that this, and other similar sorts of plans, work because indie stores are awesome and need to survive.
Nahgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2011, 06:59 PM   #6
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I think a lot of posters here are right on. It is important to help out our local business. R.A. Salvatore did a book signing at the indie store I frequent. That is one thing I do miss about eBooks no physical pretense.... I guess they can do web chats but that's not the same.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:32 AM   #7
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
This sounds great in principle. Unfortunately, the Google ebookstore is a slow-motion train wreck, filled with hopelessly garbled book descriptions. At least half my own books in the store have descriptions that belong with other peoples' books. And it's been that way for over a year, despite repeated attempts to have it fixed.

I wish something like this could be set up between indie bookstores and an ebookstore that actually worked!
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote