Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-16-2011, 07:50 AM   #1
lemonemma
n00b
lemonemma began at the beginning.

Location: Currently London, soon-to-be somewhere in New Zealand
Device: none yet
Question Options for New Zealanders

I'm just beginning to look into buying an eBook reader. I am from New Zealand and always end up back there, though I travel a lot, too.

I'm currently not in New Zealand, but am returning very shortly, and would like to know what options are available for me, if I want to buy a reader early in the new year (2012).

I am currently in London, and am tempted by the 3G versions, but I just don't know if those are practical in NZ - I haven't properly lived there in some years.

Any advice or information you can offer regarding the current selection of eBook readers available for use in New Zealand will be greatly appreciated.

Other than not having to pay for internet connection each time I want to download a book, my requirements are as follows. I don't particularly like touch screens, I need decent battery life, I'd like a dictionary lookup function, and to be able to make notes (i.e. a list of books recommended to me or a 'to-read' list). I don't need games or music or colour.

What other questions should I be asking? I'm really quite new to the world of technology when it comes to books.

Thanks in advance. I look forward to hearing anything you have to tell me.

~lemonem
lemonemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:36 AM   #2
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Given your list of requirements, I'd suggest Kindle Keyboard 3G. With the 3G model, you'll have coverage in a wide variety of places without requiring connection to a WiFi hotspot. Of course, if you have a WiFi connection available, you can use that. And once you're back in NZ, you can set up a home WiFi that you use automatically, making the concern about 3G coverage less urgent.

I have a 3G, and my wife has a WiFi, and we notice the difference. When we're at home, it's a non-issue. But when we're travelling or just not at home, I can grab a book or check something on Wikipedia or another web site without having to first find a WiFi spot, and she's stuck.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2011, 12:23 PM   #3
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
If you buy a Kindle, you will need to buy something like this (which I have myself and love it) to keep lists and such.

You can take notes within a book without anything additional, but you need an app if you want to use it separate from your books.

Oops, I just remembered that apps are not available outside the USA. How stupid. Forget the Kindle unless you are willing to give up the notepad or register an address in the US to get it.

Last edited by wvcherrybomb; 11-16-2011 at 12:26 PM.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:10 PM   #4
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
If you buy a Kindle, you will need to buy something like this (which I have myself and love it) to keep lists and such.

You can take notes within a book without anything additional, but you need an app if you want to use it separate from your books.

Oops, I just remembered that apps are not available outside the USA. How stupid. Forget the Kindle unless you are willing to give up the notepad or register an address in the US to get it.
There are generally ways to get around the whole USA issue. Especially since, once you HAVE the app, you can use it forever on your Kindle, regardless of where you are. And there are ways around the note-taking issues, though I admit the application you linked to is a far better choice. And the Kindle is far better at all the other requirements than any alternatives I can think of.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:31 AM   #5
lemonemma
n00b

Thank you for the advice. I heard that Kindle wasn't really available/supported in New Zealand, but I guess that's changed?
Advert
Old 11-19-2011, 09:23 AM   #6
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
Not really true. I'm in Canada and just bought and downloaded the notepad app you linked to. Let's keep the FUD to a minimum.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:56 AM   #7
lemonemma
n00b

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Not really true. I'm in Canada and just bought and downloaded the notepad app you linked to. Let's keep the FUD to a minimum.
Thanks, that's good to know.

I had to google FUD. Learn something new every day.

I've looked at the prices and have decided to wait a couple of months to build up the funds... anyone reckon there's a chance Amazon will be having Christmas/New Year sales?
Old 11-26-2011, 02:58 AM   #8
HowGozit
Connoisseur
HowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS650, Kobo, Asus Tab 8, iPod Touch, Galaxy Tab, Surface Pr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonemma View Post

I'm just beginning to look into buying an eBook reader. I am from New Zealand and always end up back there, though I travel a lot, too.

I'm currently not in New Zealand, but am returning very shortly, and would like to know what options are available for me, if I want to buy a reader early in the new year (2012).

I am currently in London, and am tempted by the 3G versions, but I just don't know if those are practical in NZ - I haven't properly lived there in some years.

Any advice or information you can offer regarding the current selection of eBook readers available for use in New Zealand will be greatly appreciated.

Other than not having to pay for internet connection each time I want to download a book, my requirements are as follows. I don't particularly like touch screens, I need decent battery life, I'd like a dictionary lookup function, and to be able to make notes (i.e. a list of books recommended to me or a 'to-read' list). I don't need games or music or colour.

What other questions should I be asking? I'm really quite new to the world of technology when it comes to books.

Thanks in advance. I look forward to hearing anything you have to tell me.

~lemonem
By all means by one of the Kindle 3G's. Go the the International buying section (normally if you are ordering from NZ or Australia - and most other countries - you will be directed there).

The 3G Kindle from that buying section will work worldwide. It is a GSM based 3G and I have used it all over Australia and I used it when I was on a trip to NZ (I'm a Kiwi resident in Australia - so I bounce between the countries for family visits off and on).

It will work well.. (I believe the Fire is not available for international purchase - not sure about the Kindle Touch 3G..) I used the DX for a year and it was very good.

Ross
HowGozit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:36 PM   #9
pmcnz
Enthusiast
pmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned off

Device: PRS-650, Kindle DXG
Hi from Auckland,
here's a short summay of the current ereader scene in NZ:
Kindle 3 (Wifi, WiFi+3G models) and Kindle4 (nonTouch) available from Dick Smith. Kindles are not able to borrow ebooks from NZ libraries (yet)
Sony PRS-T1 available - able to borrow ebooks from NZ libraries. Sony NZ will not honour warranties for ereaders not sold in NZ.
Kobo Touch - sold by Whitcoulls and can borrow ebooks from NZ libraries
Other brands and models, e.g. Pocketbook, Nook, etc - not available new but turn up on TradeMe as either direct imports or used.
Cheap Chinese ereaders - available new in various computer shops or Trademe - risky
Tablets - mainline models such as iPad and Samsung are readily available.
Cheers
pmcnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:04 PM   #10
lemonemma
n00b

Wow, thank you to both Ross and pmcnz for your detailed replies.

Do you happen to know the story with Kindle and borrowing from NZ libraries? You say 'yet' - is it likely to happen soon?

Thanks
LemonEm
Old 12-05-2011, 11:12 PM   #11
LadyL
LadyL began at the beginning.

Device: Sony e reader
sony e-reader

Hi There from Auckland, I have a sony e-reader PRS & I can access the Auckland libraries for free anytime & download most recent books.
They do not support Kindle & there's no telling when they will, to the best of my knowledge. I am also looking at the new Kobo Vox as a book for my husband, & this is also supported by the libraries. I must say I am very impressed with the library service & the help & support I have received. If you just want to read books the sony is wonderful & lighter than the Kobo. We have travelled extensively & I have found that with most electronic devices NZ is not far behind the rest of the world in price or availability. Therefore its certainly worth buying anything here for service & guarantees.
Welcome home you will be glad to be here I am sure!
LadyL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new to forum, new zealand, which device