Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-11-2011, 05:22 PM   #1
readingwonder
Enthusiast
readingwonder has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.readingwonder has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.readingwonder has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook
STR Darker Screen

I just got my Nook Touch today and I noticed that the screen, as in, the gray background, is slightly darker than my old Kobo Wifi. Is this normal?

I also noticed that when you hold the device at an angle, there's a line, more like a thin bar, of e-ink down the left and right edges of the screen.

Last edited by readingwonder; 11-11-2011 at 06:21 PM.
readingwonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 01:05 PM   #2
VicLavigne
e-reading since 2008
VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Nook STR, Sony PRS-T1
Install the latest Nook firmware update and you should notice that the screen is a little lighter in color. Here's the link for software upgrade: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Soft...uch/379003175/

Vic
VicLavigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2011, 01:48 PM   #3
readingwonder
Enthusiast
readingwonder has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.readingwonder has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.readingwonder has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks for the link . You mean the firmware can actually control how light or dark the gray background of the screen is? I thought that was just part of the hardware.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:58 PM   #4
VicLavigne
e-reading since 2008
VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Nook STR, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by readingwonder View Post
Thanks for the link . You mean the firmware can actually control how light or dark the gray background of the screen is? I thought that was just part of the hardware.
The firmware controls what shows on the screen, doesn't it? Anyhow, I noticed my screen looked lighter after my update, that's all I'm going on. Let us know what you think after doing an update.

Vic
VicLavigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:13 AM   #5
Ubermensch
Connoisseur
Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by readingwonder View Post
I also noticed that when you hold the device at an angle, there's a line, more like a thin bar, of e-ink down the left and right edges of the screen.
This is called ghosting. Just change pages 8 times, this will cause the screen to refresh and it'll go away.
Ubermensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2011, 02:49 AM   #6
readingwonder
Enthusiast

It would seem the bars on the edges of mine don't go away. I noticed they're also on the top and bottom and are like a border around the screen, and always stay there.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:11 PM   #7
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
It sounds to me like you might have a damaged screen, I'd try to take it back and get it exchanged.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:39 PM   #8
Ubermensch
Connoisseur
Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Yeah, it doesn't seems normal at all. Could you provide a picture for us? There are no bars on my screen.
Ubermensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:06 AM   #9
BrowseTheStacks
BrowseTheStacks
BrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle 3 3G + WI-FI
Could it be the ir emitters for the touch screen?
BrowseTheStacks is offline   Reply With Quote