Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 10-15-2011, 09:26 AM   #1
wendyjg
wendyjg began at the beginning.

Device: new kindle
New Kindle just arrived! Question about Calibre...

I bought the New Kindle (the one without the keyboard) and it arrived today in the mail! I am charging it now. I have a question already... I conversed a few books with Calibre into Mobi, but I don't know how to transfer them to my Kindle? I do not see a Kindle icon? Does that mean Calibre does not work with the new Kindle? Or is it not showing up because it is charging - am I too impatient.....? Thanks, Wendy
wendyjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:04 AM   #2
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
There are multiple ways to transfer ebooks from calibre's library to a Kindle device:
  • Send to Device: This toolbar button, and its releated drop down, appear only when a device is successfully connected and are used to copy the book to the Kindle's \document folder.
  • Save to Disk: This will send a copy of the book to a designated folder on your computer. You can then copy the file to the Kindle's \document folder manually when the Kindle is connected to the computer via USB.
  • Email: The Connect and Share toolbar button will give the option to email the file to your Kindle's account. The ebook will download onto your Kindle the next time you "Sync and check...". This method requires that you configure calibre (in preferences) properly so that it sends the correct format(s) to the email address assigned to your Kindle. You also need to access the Mangage Your Kindle page at Amazon and add the sending email address you use in calibre to the list of accepted addresses.
  • Web Server: calibre has a built in webserver that will expose its library as a website. If you configure this service in preferences, and have a WiFi network at home, you can access it from the Kindle's web browser. The Kindle's browser will automatically place the downloaded book in the proper \documents folder.

Using the Send to Device function requires that the Kindle be attached via USB and that your computer recognizes it and mounts it as a Mass Storage device making it look like another hard drive. It also requires that the calibre version be new enough (there's a new one almost every week) to recognize the new Kindle. What version are you running?

Personally, I find myself using both Save to Disk and email interchangeably and never using Send to Device. This is primarily because my Kindle is rarely connected, or even in the same room as my computer, when I decide to send a book to my device. I'll move it to the device later, either when I sit down to read if sent by email, or the next time I connect the Kindle for charging.

Last edited by dwig; 10-15-2011 at 08:54 PM. Reason: whoops - I'd forgotten the web server option
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2011, 10:50 AM   #3
joycedb
Guru
joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Hello and welcome, Wendy. It sounds like you've received the answer to your questions. Not that I could've helped anyway. Just wanted to say welcome and congrats on finally getting your Kindle. Enjoy.

Joyce
joycedb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:32 PM   #4
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
Welcome to MR!

Imogen
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 08:52 AM   #5
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyjg View Post
I bought the New Kindle (the one without the keyboard) and it arrived today in the mail! I am charging it now. I have a question already... I conversed a few books with Calibre into Mobi, but I don't know how to transfer them to my Kindle? I do not see a Kindle icon? Does that mean Calibre does not work with the new Kindle? Or is it not showing up because it is charging - am I too impatient.....? Thanks, Wendy

Welcome to Mobileread!

Echo what dwig has posted. There are a number of plugins extending calibre's capability. Namely, "kindle collections" and "reading list". calibre creator, Kovid Goyal, is extremely responsive in the calibre forums, as are all the calibre developers! If you haven't already, visiting there would provide some assistance.
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2011, 03:09 AM   #6
wendyjg
wendyjg began at the beginning.

Device: new kindle
Thank you all for your interest in my question! Great help from dwig, I managed to download some books to my new Kindle (and finished one already!). Love the Kindle while travelling- was in the plane and had no problem using it (Wireless switched off). And it fits in my coat pocket. THANKS again!
wendyjg is offline   Reply With Quote