Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-20-2011, 11:10 AM   #16
Lazybones
Groupie
Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Agree fully with the OP. When scanning the new authors in the Kindle store I won't even bother with one that doesn't have a sample available. I sample half of my novels at Smashwords, and actually wish that Amazon would allow for longer samples; sometimes it takes me a bit longer to get hooked.
Lazybones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:50 PM   #17
Keryl Raist
Zealot
Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle for PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazybones View Post
Agree fully with the OP. When scanning the new authors in the Kindle store I won't even bother with one that doesn't have a sample available. I sample half of my novels at Smashwords, and actually wish that Amazon would allow for longer samples; sometimes it takes me a bit longer to get hooked.
Really wish Kindle did longer samples, as well. Especially with some stories where the sample gets you the title page, table of contents, author's dedication, and about two pages of the first chapter. That's just terribly frustrating.
Keryl Raist is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2011, 01:22 PM   #18
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keryl Raist View Post
Really wish Kindle did longer samples, as well. Especially with some stories where the sample gets you the title page, table of contents, author's dedication, and about two pages of the first chapter. That's just terribly frustrating.
That sounds like dumb planning of the sample to me. That's a total of five pages, so they could have given half a chapter, rather than a bunch of title pages. Half a chapter is still short though. But I've noticed when I read samples, that though it sometimes takes me quite a while to get hooked, putting me entirely off a book to the point where I perma-delete the sample takes only a couple of pages.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote