Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you compelled to fill out a series you started in the middle?
I always start with #1 in a series 122 77.22%
Yes, if I can afford to 24 15.19%
No, my TBR list is too long as it is 7 4.43%
Your OCD is showing 5 3.16%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-07-2011, 01:48 PM   #1
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Series Compulsion

I finished a book yesterday, #16 in a series. The book stood alone perfectly well, but I loved it, and was compelled to buy the first 15 books last night. Ran into a problem with Calibre, too (my problem), but all was right with the world by 3 am, and I started reading book #1.

So how about you - if you like a book in the middle of a series, are you compelled to fill out the series?
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:51 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I would never, EVER, start a series anywhere other than at the first book, personally .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2011, 01:54 PM   #3
ekster
Currently without a title
ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I would never, EVER, start a series anywhere other than at the first book, personally .
Same. And if I like it, I'd move on to the second, and if I like that, the third, etc.

I wouldn't get the whole thing right away... did that before and got a bit too disappointed a few times. Dune, Wheel of Time, Sword of Truth... loved their first few books, but then started getting really disappointed to a point that I stopped reading some of the books half-way.
ekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:00 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, I tend to buy a series 1 book ahead of my reading, so I always have the next one there to move on to.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:10 PM   #5
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Rarely would I even start in the middle of a series knowing that it was a series beforehand. If that should happen it would depend on how much I liked the first book read as to whether or not I would attempt to fill the rest in, starting with the first. So poll choice #1 is the closest to my response.
Advert
Old 10-07-2011, 02:24 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I never jump into the middle of a series. In fact in this day an age, I'm rarely reading anything that's part of a series. Anymore, I view a series as a bit of a crutch... for both authors and readers. I want fresh. I want new. I want...... The End (capital E).
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:31 PM   #7
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I usually TRY to start with no. 1 in a series, but sometimes I jump in not aware it IS a series. If I then find I like the book a lot, I try to fill the series. I voted number 2, but it's not really depending on money. since I almost only read library books, but rather availability.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:32 PM   #8
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
This answer has changed with the explosion of my TBR. When I was reading physical books, and I got a trip to the bookstore maybe twice a year, then sure - I'd start in the middle of a series and hope I could find the rest (and especially number one) later.

Now though, if something doesn't have the first one available in ebook (lots of older mystery series fall in this category) I won't buy any of the series until at least the first three are available.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:45 PM   #9
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I will always TRY to start a series at #1. The only time that I do not if I just happen to read a book that i do not realize is part of a series until too late. Then, if I liked the book, I will go out and buy Book 1 of the series and go from there. When I get to the book that I read in the first place, I re-read it to see if it takes on a different look because I would have more of the background. This has happened to me twice before. Doesn't happen too often now because it is pretty easy to search on the internet (fictfact.com).
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:57 PM   #10
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Only way I wouldn't start with number 1 is if I didn't realize a book was part of a series, or if it's an out-of-print series and I can only track down miscellaneous titles.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:58 PM   #11
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
This!

Though Wizard and Glass, the 4th book in the series, was the first of the Dark Tower books I read. But that only happened because it was a gift and I wasn't even aware that it's part of a series before I started reading it.
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:58 PM   #12
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
And if I know ahead of time, I try to read series' that are complete. I've read the next to the last book in several series', and am waiting (sometimes for years) for the last one to be published.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 04:31 PM   #13
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I have to start at the beginning of a series.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 04:39 PM   #14
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Lest someone think I was sloppy, I didn't realize it was part of a series until I was finishing number 16 and there was a preview of number 17.

Seems we might be less likely to know a book is part of a series, because it is very easy to jump right to the beginning of an electronic book. Whereas with a pbook, you sometimes have to look for the first page.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 04:50 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I always look up the author on Fantastic Fiction. It's the best way I know of to get information about book series'.